Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    17

    SqueezeBox, Slim Server and 2 computers

    I just installed SqueezeBob 3 and love it. It was amazingly easy to get up and running.
    I have 2 computers on my home network that I would like to run Slim Server on to access the single SqueezeBox. One of the PCs is wireless. Slim Server on the wired PC had no problem finding the Squeezebox. Slim Server on the wireless PC cannot find the SqueezeBox. Any suggestions?

    On another note, my music is stored on an external hard drive on my wired PC. The wireless PC uses this to play songs through iTunes but when I use that mapped network drive to tell Slim Server where to find music, it says this is not a recognized directory.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,103
    Quote Originally Posted by phinbob View Post
    I just installed SqueezeBob 3 and love it. It was amazingly easy to get up and running.
    I have 2 computers on my home network that I would like to run Slim Server on to access the single SqueezeBox. One of the PCs is wireless. Slim Server on the wired PC had no problem finding the Squeezebox. Slim Server on the wireless PC cannot find the SqueezeBox. Any suggestions?
    Is there any reason why you're running two SlimServers? Most likely the reason your wireless one can't see it is because it's in communication with your wired one. The Squeezebox can only be connected to one SlimServer at a time. If you want to switch, switch from the Squeezebox by going back to network setup and finding the different music source.

    This is fairly inconvenient to switch and there's usually no reason to run two SlimServers. Best stick with one.

    On another note, my music is stored on an external hard drive on my wired PC. The wireless PC uses this to play songs through iTunes but when I use that mapped network drive to tell Slim Server where to find music, it says this is not a recognized directory.
    I believe you need "UNC" network paths, i.e. \\server name\folder

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lanctot View Post
    Is there any reason why you're running two SlimServers? Most likely the reason your wireless one can't see it is because it's in communication with your wired one. The Squeezebox can only be connected to one SlimServer at a time. If you want to switch, switch from the Squeezebox by going back to network setup and finding the different music source.

    This is fairly inconvenient to switch and there's usually no reason to run two SlimServers. Best stick with one.

    Computers are in different rooms and I would like to access the box from either. Even when I shut the Slim Server on the wired PC down, I still could not find the SqueezeBox from the wireless PC.



    I believe you need "UNC" network paths, i.e. \\server name\folder
    Yes, I have also tried UNC

  4. #4
    Senior Member davep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    630
    I think that this may be a misunderstanding of the difference between running the server on a PC and being able to see and control the music from another (or any number of others). Put simply, you run the Server software on one machine, preferably wired to the network rather than wireless, and this talks directly to the SB and serves it wth your chosen music via the network.

    You can then look at and control the system, including all settings, from this machine OR any other PC on the network by just using your favourite browser as the "window". These remote PCs do not need to have SlimServer running to do this you just point them at http://serverip:9000/ and that's it.

    Hope this helps clarify.

    davep

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I think that this may be a misunderstanding of the difference between running the server on a PC and being able to see and control the music from another (or any number of others). Put simply, you run the Server software on one machine, preferably wired to the network rather than wireless, and this talks directly to the SB and serves it wth your chosen music via the network.

    You can then look at and control the system, including all settings, from this machine OR any other PC on the network by just using your favourite browser as the "window". These remote PCs do not need to have SlimServer running to do this you just point them at http://serverip:9000/ and that's it.

    Hope this helps clarify.
    I'm trying so I hope everyone is patient with me. I just tried this and could not access the box. Pager could not be displayed. What I would like to do is also control the music being played from other PCs
    davep

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,103
    Quote Originally Posted by phinbob View Post
    I'm trying so I hope everyone is patient with me. I just tried this and could not access the box. Pager could not be displayed. What I would like to do is also control the music being played from other PCs
    davep
    No problem - in that case you only need one SlimServer running. It would be best to keep the wired one running. Uninstall the one on the wireless, all you need to do is access the web page like Dave describes.

    If you can't access the page, take a look at the firewalls on both computers. Most likely one is blocking the other. Give SlimServer access to ports 9000 TCP and 3483 TCP & UDP.

    Might want to take a look here:

    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

  7. #7
    Senior Member davep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by phinbob View Post
    I just tried this and could not access the box. Pager could not be displayed. What I would like to do is also control the music being played from other PCs
    Just to be absolutely clear, you need to access the _Server_ from the other PCs, not the Squeezebox. You must therefore make sure that you are pointing the remote browsers at the ip address of the server PC, not at the box itself.

    On Windows typing "ipconfig" at the command line on the server PC will show the ip address of the server on your network. Use this in the http://serverip:9000/ url in your browser(s) and you should see the SlimServer interface. As Mark says this can be blocked by firewalls and the wiki has good note son how to get around this.

    Come back and let us know if it works (or if it doesn't!)

    davep

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1

    Thoughts on running more than one slimserver

    I just got my squeezebox today and I love it already. This thing is amazing...

    I also have a situation where I want to run slimserver on two machines. My girlfriend has her own laptop with iTunes and playlists, etc. And I have my own as well. We only have one squeezebox player in the house.

    I can connect to her slimserver or my slimserver from the player, simply by going through the connection screen with the remote and choosing the appropriate computer (my laptop or hers). However, I can't help but want an easier way to switch between slimservers. Maybe I can come up with a solution that makes it easier to swap between slimservers. I did notice the solution in the wiki at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cg...pleSlimServers. Any other thoughts on this subject?

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Babelfish's Best Boy mherger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    20,460

    Re: SqueezeBox, Slim Server and 2 computers

    > can't help but want an easier way to switch between slimservers.

    When in the play menu press and hold LEFT on the remote. You can then
    select the server from a list without going through the whole setup
    procedure.

    --

    Michael

    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Help translate SlimServer by using the
    SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •