Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kdf View Post
    On 30-Aug-06, at 11:37 AM, dangerous_dom wrote:

>
    > Support for some kind(s) of DRM, so that we can -legally- download
    > music.
    >

rhapsody is DRM.
    drm issues are more to do with the providers than the clients.
    -k
    Indeed, and i would be great if i could get it here in the UK. I meen stuff like Download sites which use Playforsure etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dSw View Post
    DRM has nothing to do with the legality of music downloads.. but that's another issue entirely! ;-)
    Quite, but if i want to download the latest Coldplay album, or whatever, i can't download a DRM-Free version and thus i cant play it on my squeezebox. I guess i will be forced (by the record industry) to stick with AllofMP3.com for my downloads now.

Though TBH, im not really that bothered. Until download sites offer proper bitrates and prices significantly lower than CD's, DRM is the least important thing. i was just making a suggestion - its hard to think of any new features, Slimserver is fantastic.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Re: Let's here some suggestions for SlimServer 7

all good points on the DRM issue. Let's consider that DRM and
    expansion of radio support, file types, etc
    are all a work in progress.

In the interest of supporting the original post, it might be best to
    leave drm discussion for now.

-kdf

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Meyer View Post
    A music library would contain a list of configurable music folders to scan (ie. rather than using shortcuts), with settings to define when/what type of scan to perform on each configured folder.
    I'd like to see this as well, even though it's really more of nicety than anything else.

Automatically-generated playlists, such as is done in Windows Media Player. This has already been entered as a feature request (bug 380), but has been put off (target milestone=future).

The playlists would be constantly updated, and would contain such lists as:

- Songs/albums/artists you play late at night.
    - Songs/albums/artists you play on weekend nights.
    - Songs/albums/artists you play on Sunday mornings.
    - Songs/albums/artists you play during dinnertime.
    - Last 25 songs/albums/artists you played.
    - Overall most played songs/albums/artists.

And anything else you can think of that would be worth generating automatically.

I'd agree with a lot of what's already mentioned - for example multiple music libraries would be FANTASTIC for me - right now I have to run 2 instances of SS and switch between them which is a bit of a hassle and not very high on the WAF. I'd also suggest customizable browse trees - so not just Artist/Album/Song but make it configurable. I'd like, for example, to have mixed albums apart from artist albums. That data is in the tags, and a player I used to use (Meedio) had an interface for setting up your own browse patterns based on SQL queries. Not for the beginner sure, but very powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    Support for some kind(s) of DRM, so that we can legally download music.
    There's nothing stopping you from using DRM music on the Squeezebox. Burn your DRM downloads to an audio CD (you should do this anyway as a backup), then rip them to a lossless format like FLAC.

Bingo - you have full use of the - legal - download forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Blue Ego View Post
    There's nothing stopping you from using DRM music on the Squeezebox. Burn your DRM downloads to an audio CD (you should do this anyway as a backup), then rip them to a lossless format like FLAC.

Sure, but that takes a lot of time and disk space (you end up with FLAC files with the quality of AAC or whatever). It's also not always possible - not all DRM is made equal and not all allows burning.

No you dont. Generally, changing the format of the recording (ie from mp3 to flac) is illegal. Once you have the file, its not your's to do wht you want with.. you just have the right to use it / play it according to the agreement you have entered in to....
    Anyway, we digress !

Anpther vote for smart playlists - can't believe this isn't here yet, it's such an obviously cool feature that people love on other platforms...

Also, ability on the Squeezebox to nominate, with order of preference, which slimserver install to connect to depending on which are available - allowing for a NAS + computer when it's on auto switching tasty experience!

You could, but it's hardly an elegant solution - more a workaround. FLAC will preserve the quality of the CD rips, but trancoding to CD Audio format can reduce quality i believe. Even if it does not, it's still a royal pain in the ass. I never backup my downloads to CD, it's cheaper, safer and more time efficent to have a second HDD. Space is an issue for some people to and FLAC takes way more space - ok if you want CD qualty, but you wont increase quality, more likely lose some.

Quote Originally Posted by kdf View Post
    In the interest of supporting the original post, it might be best to
    leave drm discussion for now.

-kdf
    Agreed.

Ok, how about improved singles handling? As Funkstar says, mulitple libraries could help, but i have a better idea;

If there is a 'Single' tag (or an extended tag to indicate to Slimserver that it's a single), There could be a catagory in slimserver for Singles (alongside Album, Artist, Genre, etc). A single search could be added to the SB's menu also.

I know this is an issue for some people, and i know there are workarounds (like using "Single" as the album tag), but it would be a nice feature and help avoid cluttering the Album list or an entry called 'no album' if people dont use an album tag - this would make having differant artwork for each single easier too.

I dont for one minute take credit for this idea BTW, this has been metioned in many thread, the lastest being - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23906
    Last edited by autopilot; 2006-08-31 at 01:00.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)