Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azinck3
    • Feb 2006

nokia770 touchscreen question

All right, so I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet that specifies if the nokia 770 actually has a true touchscreen (as in, I can use my fingers on it) or if it requires the stylus to work (such as some of the new thinkpad tablet PCs). Can anyone out there with a 770 enlighten me?
    1x SB1, 3x SB1g, 1x SB2, 1x SB3, 2x Booms
  • Richie
    • Apr 2005

nokia770 touchscreen question

> All right, so I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet that
    > specifies if the nokia 770 actually has a true touchscreen (as in, I
    > can use my fingers on it) or if it requires the stylus to work (such as
    > some of the new thinkpad tablet PCs). Can anyone out there with a 770
    > enlighten me?

Fingers definitely work, the latest firmware even includes a keyboard
    designed for finger use.
    It does make the screen a little grubby though.

Richard

Comment

• TimGossett
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by azinck3
      All right, so I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet that specifies if the nokia 770 actually has a true touchscreen (as in, I can use my fingers on it) or if it requires the stylus to work (such as some of the new thinkpad tablet PCs). Can anyone out there with a 770 enlighten me?
      And I'd like to know if the 770's Bluetooth connectivity will support the use of a bluetooth keyboard. Also, I hear it runs a browser that's "based on" Opera... I wonder how different from Opera this browser is. Could someone point me towards a forum that'll discuss this?

Comment

• Fifer
        • May 2005

Thry the forums here.

There's an unofficial bluetooth plug-in which supports many keyboards and GPS units.

Comment

• bklaas
          Ne'er-do-well, Vagabond
          • Apr 2005

bluetooth keyboard support, yes--

I have this keyboard and it works well. the keyboard, folded, is almost exactly the size of the 770. the two can fit in a (large) pants pocket easily.

Opera is the web browser. It must be a pared down version from the full desktop browser, but it's likely closer to a desktop Opera than Opera "mini", made for PDAs. My experience is that the 770 browser is *superb*.

And yes, it's a true touchscreen.

FWIW, internettablettalk is indeed the de facto 770 forum, but to be honest I typically get better answers, even about the 770, on slimdevices. Just a better community here.

cheers,
          #!/ben
          Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
          Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/

Comment

• gharris999
            • Apr 2005

Urp! >$100 for a keyboard? I guess I've gotten spoiled by never having to pay more than $20 for a keyboard for the past several years. The website that Ben cited above mentions that people have gotten usb keyboards to work with the 770. Is there anything special that one needs to do for that?

Comment

• azinck3
              • Feb 2006

Thanks, guys!
              1x SB1, 3x SB1g, 1x SB2, 1x SB3, 2x Booms

Comment

• TimGossett
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by bklaas
                Opera is the web browser. It must be a pared down version from the full desktop browser, but it's likely closer to a desktop Opera than Opera "mini", made for PDAs. My experience is that the 770 browser is *superb*.
                Maybe this is getting a little off-topic, but I'm developing a system that uses IBM's XHTML+Voice technology--currently supported in Opera >8.53. Does anyone know if the 770's browser supports speech-enabled browsing? And kiosk mode?

I've tried talking to my SB3, but now I want it to talk back.
                Last edited by TimGossett; 2006-08-03, 20:19.

Comment

Working...