Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hcanning
    • Jun 2006

Cannot connect most of the time

Are you sure you don't need the SlimServer PC running in order to connect to SqueezeNetwork? :P

If I try and connect with the PC running, sometimes it'll work, most of the time it'll hang on a blank screen after "connecting to squeezenetwork...".. But now I've turned off my PC, it won't connect at all

Is it always like this?

The rest of my internet/network works 100%.
  • Mark Lanctot
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by hcanning
    Are you sure you don't need the SlimServer PC running in order to connect to SqueezeNetwork? :P
    Umm, yeah, quite sure. :-)

SlimServer is a server sitting in your house. SqueezeNetwork is a server Slim Devices owns and operates sitting at 207.7.156.10.

If I try and connect with the PC running, sometimes it'll work, most of the time it'll hang on a blank screen after "connecting to squeezenetwork...".. But now I've turned off my PC, it won't connect at all

Is it always like this?

The rest of my internet/network works 100%.
    No, it should not be like this. How is your network configured? What sort of router do you have? Are you using Internet Connection Sharing?

Take a look here:

the "Connecting to SqueezeNetwork" section. Make sure your DNS and gateway addresses are set properly.
    Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• hcanning
      • Jun 2006

It seems to be working now, but this was after I was fiddling about on my main server (serving one music collection; I usually have it connected to my PC which is turned off now).

The network consists of a few PCs, a couple of laptops (wireless) connected together with a server and a Smoothwall box. No reason why anything shouldn't work, most likely just network congestion I suspect.

Comment

• Mark Lanctot
        • Oct 2005

I assume the Smoothwall box sits between your modem and your router?

That's the only unusual bit in your network and one which could potentially impact things. This is not to say it won't work, but when I was running a ClarkConnect box I had the occasional weird network issue pop up from time to time since all Internet packets were going through the box.

Does it provide DHCP and DNS resolution? I can't remember if you should set it as your gateway or not - you may want to try reassigning the Squeezebox gateway to the router or to the IP address of the modem, assuming the modem isn't running in bridge mode.
        Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta)

Comment

• hcanning
          • Jun 2006

Well it was working all of last night. Dunno if that's got anything to do with it being connected to the active slimserver or not

The Smoothwall box sits between my cable modem and my network switch. You don't need a router, it is the router.

My other server (Windows server 2003) runs DHCP and gives out all necessary information such as DNS servers and if the Squeezebox needs this info, it'll get it

Yes you set the Smoothwall box as the gateway on your network, as it's the only way packets can get routed between the interweb and my LAN.

Comment

Working...