Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why would stuttering SUDDENLY start?

I've suddenly started having the same problem which has been posted a number of times: music playback through my wireless SB3 stutters through every song played. The thing is not one thing has changed from the time when it was working perfectly.

Running on a Win XP Pro SP2 system, Hawking wireless router, PC is wired to the router but SB3 is wireless. FW version 35, Slimserver version 6.2, signal strength 80%, buffer <= 10%. I'll probably move to FW version 43, but what I'd like to understand is WHY did this suddenly start happening?

This very same setup worked like a champ through the time I last used it (about a month ago - I've been on travel). At that time I could leave a huge playlist running for hours on end. Never skipped or stuttered on me once. When I started it up today it has been completely unable to play any tune without stuttering. The only program I'd installed since Slimserver is Tag&Rename, which has nothing to do with a network interface. Hoping to hear from anyone who could help me figure this out!

I read a post where the person who had the same problem said it went away when he reinstalled Slimserver. I've used Tag&Rename a lot on my music library, but told Slimserver to completely rescan my library before playing music. Is there any evidence that some kind of Slimserver problem can cause this stuttering?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyptony
    I've suddenly started having the same problem which has been posted a number of times: music playback through my wireless SB3 stutters through every song played. The thing is not one thing has changed from the time when it was working perfectly.

Running on a Win XP Pro SP2 system, Hawking wireless router, PC is wired to the router but SB3 is wireless. FW version 35, Slimserver version 6.2, signal strength 80%, buffer <= 10%. I'll probably move to FW version 43, but what I'd like to understand is WHY did this suddenly start happening?

This very same setup worked like a champ through the time I last used it (about a month ago - I've been on travel). At that time I could leave a huge playlist running for hours on end. Never skipped or stuttered on me once. When I started it up today it has been completely unable to play any tune without stuttering. The only program I'd installed since Slimserver is Tag&Rename, which has nothing to do with a network interface. Hoping to hear from anyone who could help me figure this out!

I read a post where the person who had the same problem said it went away when he reinstalled Slimserver. I've used Tag&Rename a lot on my music library, but told Slimserver to completely rescan my library before playing music. Is there any evidence that some kind of Slimserver problem can cause this stuttering?
    I've been experiencing this also and I think it may be interference which is causing the buffer to drop drastically and the resulting stuttering. It drops from 90-100% down to <10. I can initiate the same effect by turning on the microwave, so I'm guessing that I may be getting interference from some other local source. I'm trying different channels on my router and have had a good run of no stuttering on the latest attempt...several days. Don't know yet if it's the channel change or the source of the interference has gone quiet.

Jim

My neighbor just got wireless and set it up on the same channel I was running on. Destroyed my good time. So I switched off that channel and all is well again.
    -Dan

edit: sorry that might be cryptic. Use your laptop (if you have one) to see if there are other wireless networks in your area on the same channel as your home wireless. Then switch your wireless to a channel no one else is on. [Also trade in your 2.4 ghz cordless phone for a 5.8 ghz one.]
    Last edited by dwc; 2006-06-19 at 20:07.

I have my SB3 connected with 85mps Devolo Homeplugs and I also get stuttering occasionally. I see the network rate in the (Devolo) Microlink Informer drop from 58mbs to 1mbs even though the other devices are happily working at their normal rates. Seems to happen towards the end/start of songs so it may not be confined to wireless. It certainly is made worse by using a NAS.

The problem with those Homeplug type devices is that the signal is prone to interference from any device running on mains electricity in your house.

Typically anything with an electric motor will cause the mains voltage to become very "dirty".
    I've also noticed that the long life light bulb I use around my house cause a lot of TV interference when first switched on.

I'm not sure how isolated individual houses are these days but I do remember that we used to get a lot of TV interference if a nearby neighbour used an electric drill. I think it's because the mains wiring acts as an antenna.

So you might find that an applance in your own home is not the source of the noise in your mains wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by dwc
    My neighbor just got wireless and set it up on the same channel I was running on. Destroyed my good time. So I switched off that channel and all is well again.
    -Dan
    I can only hope that's the problem. I downloaded Netstumbler last night and will give it a try. With luck I'll just be able to move to another channel.

Try the nettest plugin to prove the network capacity between the server and player [included in 6.5 or available on the wiki: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginDiagnostics]

Hmm, I put it into my Plugins folder and restarted Slimserver. It now shows up in the Slimserver Web interface under Server Settings > Plugins, but it does not show up on my SB3. I checked under Plugins and Settings. Where do I find it?

I think I solved my problem. I upgraded to the version 48 firmware and everything appears to be back to normal. Buffer is at 90-100%, signal strength up to 90%. But I still can't figure out why version 35, which I had been using to this point, was working just as well until it... didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyptony
    Hmm, I put it into my Plugins folder and restarted Slimserver. It now shows up in the Slimserver Web interface under Server Settings > Plugins, but it does not show up on my SB3. I checked under Plugins and Settings. Where do I find it?
    Should be a new menu under plugins on the player UI. Anyway, now you have fixed it doesn't matter...