Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

SlimServer 6.3 no longer groups compilation albums

I've just upgraded from 6.2.2 to 6.3 and there seems to be a new bug - when you rescan the music folder it no longer groups compilation albums together - instead when you look at the album list you see the same album title repeated 15 times if there are 15 tracks on it. Is there a setting to revert to previous (correct) behaviour?

- Simon.

This appears to be caused by the slightly different way that 6.3.0 deals with album tags. Possibly to do with the removal of common album titles.

To resolve: open the affected album in a tagger, select all songs force the album title and reset the compiliation tag.

Bit of a pain (I had to do it on upwards of 50 albums), but you only need to do it once and it will work fine going forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Siduhe
    This appears to be caused by the slightly different way that 6.3.0 deals with album tags. Possibly to do with the removal of common album titles.

To resolve: open the affected album in a tagger, select all songs force the album title and reset the compiliation tag.

Bit of a pain (I had to do it on upwards of 50 albums), but you only need to do it once and it will work fine going forwards.
    Are you saying that 6.3.0 has no way of recognizing compilations without an explicit COMPILATION tag? That's going to cause a ton of grief if true.

Can someone from Slim Devices please review this and at least provide an option to keep it compatible with 6.2.2 behaviour!

Ben Sandee

Re: SlimServer 6.3 no longer groups compilation albums

On 6/14/06, JJZolx <JJZolx.29epvz1150313401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote:
    >
    >
    > Siduhe Wrote:
    > > This appears to be caused by the slightly different way that 6.3.0 deals
    > > with album tags. Possibly to do with the removal of common album
    > > titles.
    > >
    > > To resolve: open the affected album in a tagger, select all songs
    > > force the album title and reset the compiliation tag.
    > >
    > > Bit of a pain (I had to do it on upwards of 50 albums), but you only
    > > need to do it once and it will work fine going forwards.

> Are you saying that 6.3.0 has no way of recognizing compilations
    > without an explicit COMPILATION tag? That's going to cause a ton of
    > grief if true.

That is not the case at all -- all of my compilations are properly
    recognized and I've never touched a compilation tag.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx
    Are you saying that 6.3.0 has no way of recognizing compilations without an explicit COMPILATION tag? That's going to cause a ton of grief if true.
    Nope, just if you use a COMPILATION tag that you will need to reset it (or at least that was my experience). If you don't have it, don't need to do anything other than force the album title (again, only my experience with an XP setup).

Quote Originally Posted by Siduhe
    Nope, just if you use a COMPILATION tag that you will need to reset it (or at least that was my experience). If you don't have it, don't need to do anything other than force the album title (again, only my experience with an XP setup).
    What do you mean when you say "reset" the COMPILATION tag, and what is "forcing" the album title?

Ben Sandee

Re: SlimServer 6.3 no longer groups compilation albums

On 6/14/06, Siduhe <Siduhe.29ettn1150318501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote:
    >
    >
    > JJZolx Wrote:
    > > Are you saying that 6.3.0 has no way of recognizing compilations without
    > > an explicit COMPILATION tag? That's going to cause a ton of grief if
    > > true.

>
    > Nope, just if you use a COMPILATION tag that you will need to reset it
    > (or at least that was my experience). If you don't have it, don't need
    > to do anything other than force the album title (again, only my
    > experience with an XP setup).

I don't think forcing the album title is a requirement either, I haven't
    done that for any of my va albums.

Ben

Sorry if my post wasn't clear: let me explain - my post was only intended to be in response to the question:

What do I do if I upgrade to 6.3.0. and I see multiple copies of the same album with just one song in but I haven't made any changes to the database ?

My solution was simply to open each affected album in a tagger, and resave or "force" the album tag. Where I had the compilation tag set, I needed to resave that too. Then I rescanned and all was fine and has been since. I suggested this in a thread a couple of weeks ago to someone else who had the same problem, and it also sorted it out for them. It didn't affect all my albums, just a few, and only compilations.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24121

For the avoidance of doubt - I haven't suggested anywhere in this thread that this is a requirement of upgrading to 6.3.0. but I rescanned several times including the database, and this was the only way I could get the multiple albums to go away.

If someone has a better idea how to solve the problem of the original poster, please do feel free to jump in. I will just go back to minding my own business.

I have recently hit the same problem, und used the same fix
    COMPILATION = 1 and ALBUM ARTIST = Various Artists

However .. I could not get this to work with WMA compilations, and after mucho hair pulling and cursing converted them all to FLAC .. all was ok then.

As a side point, I found that when I group all compilations together then tracks with no album do not appear in the artist listing.

Dave