Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SlimServer stopping & CPU maxing out..HELP!

After having stable, continuous operation of the SlimServer (previous version), it's now stopping after a few hours. Here are the details:
    Running Windows XP
    Running SServer 6.2.2; configured to start automatically
    Wireless network uses Linksys Wireless-B BEFW11S4
    Using Linksys media player WMLS-11b that is configured to play SServer as a 'favorite'.
    SServer comes up as http://localhost:9000/
    Recent changes to my system:
    Upgraded to 1g ram

Prior to my ram upgrade, prior version of SServer would start and run continuously without any interruptions. I'd get an occasional drop or gap thru my media player, but I'm attributing that to the network and/or the player. SServer stayed on for days w/no problems.
    After my ram upgrade (I'm guessing coincidentally), I notice SServer would shutdown. When I would click the icon in the system tray ("SServer Stopped") and click "start", it would attempt startup in IE, but I'd get "page not available".
    I also noticed that at this point my CPU usage was a solid 100% and everything was running very slowly. It's as though SServer was 'loading up' and not 'dumping' or 'recycling' data, or resources (I know that these aren't the correct terms, & I'm no computer guy...).
    The reason that I say this, is that after stopping SServer and ending the process in Task Manager (55,764k mem. usage) my computer went back to normal & my CPU usage went back to 5 - 15%.
    After trying to restart SServer, I'd get the 'connecting' or 'starting' flashing icon, but it would never connect (page unavail).
    I decided to update SS version to 6.2.2. It seemed to improve in that it didn't shut down as soon. But today, it shut down again & my CPU usage was at 100%. I closed SS, and ended the SS process in Task Mgr, and my CPU went back to the norm...5%+/-.
    Also, after restarting SS, it now does start up on IE, so it looks like it will restart without a problem, unlike the prev. version....I'm just confident that it will shut down eventually, and my CPU will be maxed out as a result, once again.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    J.P.
    Last edited by JPT-L; 2006-05-02 at 10:55.

Do you have any recursive network shortcuts? Any long playlists, recursive playlists or playlists with deleted/obsolete items?

I'm having a similar problems in the last couple weeks. COU maxed out. I noticed it when I was moving through the menus with the remote it would jsut get stuck on something. I'd then go to my computer and try to open slimserver interface and it would take a very long time. Also songs will get stuck and the display/graph on the squuezbox with freeze. Usually starts to play again after 30+ seconds.
    I never had any of these problems in the past. I'm using 6.2.1 firmware 15.

"Do you have any recursive network shortcuts? Any long playlists, recursive playlists or playlists with deleted/obsolete items?"
    Mark, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.
    You'll have to put that in layman's terms. I'm not sure what you mean by 'recursive network shortcuts'.
    At this time, I am solely using SlimServer to stream one internet radio station at 128k, so I'm not playing any iTunes playlists for instance. I did set up the playlist (the 'SqueezeBox' side of the window as a repetitive URL as follows:

(REPEAT - ALL)

(#3 - 583/12003) Radio Paradise - DJ-mixed modern & classic rock, world, electronica & more - info: radioparadise.com
    (#3 - 583/12003) Radio Paradise - DJ-mixed modern & classic rock, world, electronica & more - info: radioparadise.com
    (#4 - 1510/11828) Radio Paradise - DJ-mixed modern & classic rock, world, electronica & more - info: radioparadise.com

By recursive, if you mean redundant or repetitive, I've certainly done that as it relates to the stream URLs. Also, the last URL is different that the others, however it is an active URL as of this post.
    Even though this is the playlist that I've used for the last few months without problems up until now, could this setup be giving me problems?
    Thanks again for your reply.
    UPDATE: I reset my playlist to have only one operational stream URL, with setting of REPEAT - ALL.
    I got about 30 minutes of streaming, then SlimServer stopped. My CPU was maxed at 100%, and I couldn't restart SlimServer (http://localhost9000:/ wouldn't load....just got "page not available").
    Last edited by JPT-L; 2006-05-02 at 16:23.

Sorry about that. By recursive, I meant playlists or shortcuts that ended up referencing themselves. A circular reference.

I don't have much more advice, but I remember seeing something about iTunes synchronization time. I believe if you back it off a bit, i.e. synch every hour or so, the problem is eliminated.

I'm not sure as I don't use iTunes.

Still having the problem after disabling various processes, restarting, and testing SlimServer.

One thing that I need to add to my initial post:
    SlimServer starts automatically and 'runs' without any problems. Icon in System Tray indicates "SlimServer Running".
    In my situation, at computer startup or reboot, SlimServer doesn't recognize the Music Player due to my using a Linksys Media Player (I have to manually start SS on my Media Player in order for SS to recognize my media player.) I realize that this is normal and expected.
    However, even though when 'running' without a media player recognized, SS is using 56,008k Mem. it doesn't load up my CPU.
    What brings about the CPU overload is:
    After a computer startup or reboot, and SS in a 'running' state, I start my media player.
    SS then recognizes the media player, but my playlist is in 'stop' status.
    It's when I start the stream in my playlist that the problem begins.
    I'll get about 30 minutes of a good, consistent stream (yesterday it was 2 hrs.) with CPU usage at a normal (10%+/-) level.
    Then for some reason, the stream will stop playing even though the actual stream has remained active & uninterrupted. I then check my CPU and it's spiked up to 100%.
    At this point, even though SS icon states 'Slimserver Running', it will not open in IE...I get 'page unavailable'. I have to end the process in order to get my CPU back to normal. Exiting SS doesn't do the trick.
    I've disabled iTunes Reload, figuring that might do something, but apparently it doesn't.
    I'm going to check one other condition, and that will be SS recognizing my media player, but not starting the stream...to see if it eventually overloads the CPU in that state.
    Anybody have any ideas????
    Thanks,
    J.P.
    Last edited by JPT-L; 2006-05-04 at 10:10.

Quote Originally Posted by JPT-L
    However, even though when 'running' without a media player recognized, SS is using 56,008k Mem. it doesn't load up my CPU.
    This is normal. The database Slim uses consumes a fair amount of memory.

Regarding your problem, the only thing I notice that's a bit unusual is that you have the Linksys Media Player software installed - wonder if it's conflicting...

I would think one of the debugger logs would show you what's tripping it up, but unfortunately I don't know what log would be most enlightening. Check out Server Settings - Debugging. Hopefully someone will chime in here and let you know which one you should enable.

Full rescan

Still having the problem after disabling various processes, restarting, and testing SlimServer.

[...]

Anybody have any ideas????
    Thanks,
    J.P.
    Back to the concept of broken, recursive, etc. links. It's not clear if you are actually using iTunes for library management or not. I had similar symptoms after I performed some management tasks under iTunes (e.g. renaming artists). As far as I could tell, disagreement between the iTunes db and the Slim tag cache was causing the CPU to max out, and severely impacted server performance. A "Clear everything and rescan" or whatever it's called fixed the problem. Even if you don't use iTunes, it's worth a try.

Here's the earlier discussion:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=21723

gb

Thanks for the reply, Mark.
    I guess it's possible that the Linksys wireless router or music player software is interfering....I'm hoping not.
    One other thing that I'm thinking, is that I have MusicMatch installed on the 'host' computer. I was never a fan of Musicmatch and I hardly ever use it, but it was loaded along with my Linksys Music Player software, since Linksys relies on Musicmatch to play playlists, and can't use iTunes.
    Musicmatch therefore has a server capability. I assume that it runs as a startup item or a service at the present time.
    Maybe for some reason Musicmatch server is conflicting with SlimServer.
    I guess I'll unistall the whole Musicmatch program and see if that helps anything.
    GB, I had 'use iTunes' for importing playlists, etc. I selected 'do not use iTunes'. If iTunes is the culprit, will that help, or do I need something else (how to I 'clear everything and rescan'?)
    I'm determined to get this straight!
    Last edited by JPT-L; 2006-05-04 at 10:47.

Thanks for the reply, Mark.
    I guess it's possible that the Linksys wireless router or music player software is interfering....I'm hoping not.
    One other thing that I'm thinking, is that I have MusicMatch installed on the 'host' computer. I was never a fan of Musicmatch and I hardly ever use it, but it was loaded along with my Linksys Music Player software, since Linksys relies on Musicmatch to play playlists, and can't use iTunes.
    Musicmatch therefore has a server capability. I assume that it runs as a startup item or a service at the present time.
    Maybe for some reason Musicmatch server is conflicting with SlimServer.
    I guess I'll unistall the whole Musicmatch program and see if that helps anything.
    I'm determined to get this straight!
    The wireless router won't do anything - it doesn't install any software on your PC. It's their media player software that may be doing something.

However you may be getting warmer by mentioning Musicmatch - I believe SS has a plugin for it and may be looking for it. You indicate you don't use it very often - maybe there are obsolete links in the playlists Musicmatch has generated.