Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Rescan Music Library Takes Forever.

SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

I have a very large (9,000 Album) MP3 collection. When I "Rescan Music Library" and choose "Look for new or changed music" it takes 24+ hours even when I only add a few (<20) Albums.

MP3 files are VBR and stored on an external 4 bay enclosure. It takes my backup software only minutes to find any additions.
    Any suggestions? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. It's to the point that I dread Rescanning my music.

Bob

How is the enclosure connected to your computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelwagner
    How is the enclosure connected to your computer?
    USB Cables. One USB2 cable for each drive.
    I've had no isues streaming or backing up my drives.
    Enclosure: http://www.cooldrives.com/fodrsaiiandu.html
    Thanks,
    Bob

I've seen some weird behavior as well with this version: 6.2.2 - 6804 - Linux - EN - iso-8859-1

When rescanning the library from scratch, I noticed the db files stopped growing. After a few hours I looked to see what it was doing and it seemed to be stuck in a recursive symlink while trying to walk the directory stucture. Odd thing was, it was doing this well outside the music library area. I deleted the recursive symlink and it then just sat getting the current time of day over and over.

I killed slimserver and restarted it. The db file(s) it created seemed to be ok because it didn't complain.

9,000 albums on mp3? How long did it take you to rip all those CDs?

Quote Originally Posted by jake
    9,000 albums on mp3? How long did it take you to rip all those CDs?
    A loooong time.....over several years.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bdelp
    Any suggestions?

Bob
    Yup. Enable the d_scan field in Debugging, open up the log.txt field (at the top of the debugging page) and run a full "Clear everything and rescan".

Keep an eye on the scan as it runs through. If you have a recursive link, or a bunch of files which are no longer where you used to put them, or a bunch of playlists which have moved (all three of which can be a cause of the behaviour you are witnessing) - this will show up in the log.

HTH

P.S. Although 9,000 albums is a lot - even if it's all working as it should - it would take a while. Best make a cup of tea and visit the bathroom first....

Check to see if you have any large playlists, especially out of date ones. The scan verifies your playlists as well which took a LOOOOONG time for me. Cleaning up my playlists made it a lot faster.