Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Limiting the random mix

Is there anyway to limit the random mix to say only half of your music collection? I have 4 subfolders, Music CDs, Classical CDs, Downloads (live stuff etc.) and Childrens. For a random mix I would prefer to just choose from the Music CD folders.

Do I have to set that as the Squeezebox music folder and rescan? Or do I have to tag everything in the other folders and exclude them?

Is there an easy way?

Quote Originally Posted by Seineseeker
    Is there anyway to limit the random mix to say only half of your music collection? I have 4 subfolders, Music CDs, Classical CDs, Downloads (live stuff etc.) and Childrens. For a random mix I would prefer to just choose from the Music CD folders.

Do I have to set that as the Squeezebox music folder and rescan? Or do I have to tag everything in the other folders and exclude them?

Is there an easy way?
    The easy way is to use Genre tags.

The really simple way, if you are not using Genre for anything else, would be to set the "Genre" value for your 4 folders to Music, Classical, Downloads and Childrens respectively. mp3tag (and I guess other taggers too) will do this for you very quickly indeed.

If you want to keep meaningful Genres for all of your music (which I'd recommend!) then use Multiple Genres. For everything in your Music folder, add the tag "Music", so that something that was previously "Rock" is now "Music;Rock", etc. Tell slimserver to recognise ; as the separator for multiple tag values.

This can be done as a single command in mp3tag for the entire folder, it will take only minutes to execute.

You can then ask Random Mix to include only the Genre "Music", which I think is what you want.

Note, by the way, you can't exclude a genre - you can only not include it, which is not the same thing if you have multiple genres.

HTH

Ceejay

Thanks very much.