Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Wake on Lan question

Hello,

Do I have to open up any ports in MacOS X so that I can wake the machine up from sleep using the SB 3 device?

Gov

No.

You have to set it, I think in Energy Saver, under "wake for Ethernet network administrator access."

I think that wake on LAN is not possible for wireless networks where the computer is connected by a wireless card, but it works fine if it has a wired connection to a wirelss access point.

Quote Originally Posted by danco
    No.

You have to set it, I think in Energy Saver, under "wake for Ethernet network administrator access."

I think that wake on LAN is not possible for wireless networks where the computer is connected by a wireless card, but it works fine if it has a wired connection to a wirelss access point.
    WOL works fine on my wireless network. I'm using a PC, but I don't know why this wouldn't also hold true for Macs.

I could easily be wrong on this.

But I thought that if the computer was asleep then its wireless card was also asleep and so could not receive the wake packet.

Quote Originally Posted by danco
    I could easily be wrong on this.

But I thought that if the computer was asleep then its wireless card was also asleep and so could not receive the wake packet.
    A machine that is asleep is not off. There is still power going to certain components, including network cards that support WOL. If you enable WOL in your machine and your network card supports it then it will be able to react to an incoming wake signal. On a PC this works in both Standby and Hibernate "sleep" modes.

Dave

I have a firewall blocking things, does it mean I need to enable some port to receive a magic packet to do WOL ?

Gov