Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    How about this one:

Band: Papa Doo Run Run

Cd Title: California Project

Telarc CD-85501

This California cover band recorded some great version of Beach Boys classics.
    The sound quality on this cd is great.
    Telarc's DDD cd's are some of the best sounding cd's out there (asuming you like the music).

Check it out.

I use this to test out how clean my amp is my amp with:

"Take The Power Back"- Rage Against The Machine (Album- Self-Titled)

But a real epic is "Moonchild" by M83 (Album- Before The Dawn Heals Us). The vocals, synths and drums are breathtaking.

If you try it there's the spoken word intro at the start before it kicks in (0:48) which is a bit weird but worth the wait.

Bennie Maupin's Penumbra is a very good choice also. His bass clarinet on the tune Neophilia 2006 will pleasently surprize you, as it did me.

Great thread

Here's one from me;

Dave Weckl - "Heads Up"
    Great drum recordings, balanced, punchy and full of clarity. He's quite a tidy drummer too

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet...

My reference for many, many years has been "The Sheffield Drum Record / The Sheffield Track Record". Originally direct-to-LP, the CDs are off of analog and digital reference masters. The drum record is THE high frequency transient response recording.

Anything by Massive Attack. Tests your bass resolution to the limit. Only once I'd bought a Monolith sub and installed Inguz did I get it right. Their greatest hits is a good place to start.

I'd also vote for David Arnold's Bond album and early Tori Amos albums, especially Under the Pink.

As much as I love my squeezers by far the best demo of the power of my system is the Metallica Black album on DVD-Audio ...

You should listen to my hit "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" by Dead or Alive. It is stunning in quality. It will really show off your Squeezy.
    Also, "Do You Really Wanna Hurt Me" by Culture Club is another great sounding gem. Anything by Ben Folds Five too.

"Brand New Lover" is my fave DOA song.

egd
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Burns View Post
    You should listen to my hit "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" by Dead or Alive. It is stunning in quality. It will really show off your Squeezy.
    Well I never, man does this bring back memories. I was 16 and in my partying prime when you ruled the airwaves. Had lots of fun with that number. Welcome aboard
    Last edited by egd; 2008-03-27 at 02:43.

Mmmm...Massive Attack.....

"Anything by Massive Attack. Tests your bass resolution to the limit. "

Especially 'Angel', the sumptuous opener with the growling base on Mezzanine. ;-), someone up the thread mentioned Leftfield, their Leftism (tracks Release the Pressure, and 'Open Up')album is a good tester, as is Rythm and Stealth, (tracks Phat Planet, Swords, Afrika Shox).

But for me I always test stuff with some Stevie Ray Vaughan, starting with his cover of 'Little Wing', then 'Texas Flood', just beacuse I know them so well and can detect quality variances..and they are also stonkin' tracks.
    Last edited by nacmacfeegle; 2008-03-27 at 10:26. Reason: goofed the quote ....
    Custom mini itx server in a 1940s radio case, currently being revamped to add XBMC, Acer Revo as a stand-in. Favourite 7,500 tracks on the Touch USB server.
    Kitchen --- SB3>Aego M
    Conservatory --- >SB3 (custom case)>Musical Fidelity Tempest>Canon S50
    Lounge---SB Touch>yamaha 863>Kef3005SE\Sennheiser RS 170
    Bedroom---SB3>Audioengine A3
    Bathroom---Radio, now work in progress
    Gaming room/roving commission---Boom
    Control---Ipeng on Iphone,Pod and Pad
    More Audiofool than Audiophile!