Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

The Jerry Harrison remastered Talking Heads CDs. Just get the boxset BRICK.

Anything from Air or Goldrapp.

I love to play Korn's "Unplugged" to show off my system. "Freak On A Leash" with Amy Lee makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when she comes in singing "You wanna see the light". It sounds like they are playing in the same room.
    I also love the track "Make Me Bad" featuring the Cure's Robert Smith. The call and response between Jonathan and Robert is amazing. You can feel Robert really push out the "B" in the word "bad".

Lhasa De Sela-La Llorona

I second Madeleine Peyroux.

Also, highly recommend Lhasa De Sela's 'La Llorona'.

This was the first cd I played with my SB /new audio set up (Magnepan MG-12's, Jolida hybrid amp, Lavery DAC) and my jaw truly dropped.

I disagree, Norah Jones' Come Away With Me has noticeable digital clipping, especially in the track "Don't Know Why".

A lot of Diana Krall (for example, Live in Paris) is too closely mic'ed, resulting in recording sibilance.

Most Loreena McKennitt is well recorded, minus perhaps two tracks in her entire collection.
    Squeezebox 3 digital out > Panasonic SA-XR57 > Energy Veritas 2.4i

Quote Originally Posted by CFP View Post
    A lot of Diana Krall (for example, Live in Paris) is too closely mic'ed, resulting in recording sibilance.
    What is recording sibilance? My layman impression of Diana Krall is that the vocals are too loud relative to the mix. In fact, I find that with a number of recordings. I suppose that's intentional, but unforutnately it sounds like the band is properly balanced in the recording with an overbearing vocal on top. It would be much better overall if the vocal was dialed back a touch in volume (this is not commentary on her singing ability, which is another topic entirely).

Every time I have people over I use Dwayne "Smitty" Smith to show off slim shady. I'm not a big smooth jazz fan. But his version of Weather Report's Palladium is the bomb! If you have the system set up properly and are using a good DAC, this cut WILL IMPRESS. He has a clean sound on bass with just a touch of reverb. "This Is Me" is the name of the disc.
    I also like to play keyboardist Andy Milne's Cosmic Dapp Theory to impress people. This is straight up modern jazz funk. With fantastic drumming by Mark Prince. Check out "It Takes A Village". Very dynamic! BTW, I found this music on Rhapsody.
    Last edited by bopyanker; 2008-01-10 at 17:22.

Talking

If you like electronica

Try out Leftism, by Leftfield
    On a nice rig, this really shines, this is fantastic music and an exceptionally well produced album

-Regards

Harald N
    Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop / SC7 -> SB3 -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Krell KAV400xi -> Meadowlark Kestrel2 / Duntech PCL-15
    Everything is difficult before it's easy

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Nothing swedish? ;-D
    Especially nothing swedish :-D
    Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop / SC7 -> SB3 -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Krell KAV400xi -> Meadowlark Kestrel2 / Duntech PCL-15

Cool

Interesting thread, my reccomendation is

The Telarc DDD recording of

- Beethoven's Wellington Victory

Sonically this will test all compnents in a system, but beware of excessively high volume levels.

just my 2pence worth
    Alasdair

SBR -> Linn Majik -> Acoustic Energy Extreme 5 (garden) | SBR -> Cambridge Audio 640R -> Morduant Short (TV room) | SB3 -> AudioEngine 2 (bedroom-2) | SB3 -> AudioEngine 2 (kitchen) | SBR -> Musical Fidelity A1008 -> JR149 (office)| Squeezebox Radio (bedroom) | SB3 -> AudioEngine 2 (Bedroom -3) | Boom (bedroom-4) | Two Controllers

Last Fm http://www.last.fm/user/MuckleEck/

Air - 10000Hz Legend

Track #1: Electronic Performers
    First: very nice music
    Second: very nice recording, technically excellent
    Third: includes everything from gut wrenching drums to violins....
    Fourth: on a nice system, this really smokes....

regards

Harald N