Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendations for solo violin recordings

Hi,

I'm a noob at classical music, so inspired by this old thread

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ighlight=cello

I'd like to ask for recommendations on solo violin stuff.

Thanks,

Bj°rn

Try Lara St. John on Magnatune (is not evil). I bought the FLAC of her Bach Violin Concertos and it's excellent. The great thing of Magnatune is that you can try it for free an buy it for a price you feel is reasonable. And of course that 50% goes to the artist.

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/lara-bach/

Two other CD's of her are at:

http://www.magnatune.com/artists/lara_st_john
    Last edited by -Stef-; 2008-07-30 at 11:57.
    Yamaha - Chario - MJ Acoustics - Squeezebox - Beresford

Rachel Podger's Bach violin sonatas and partitas are excellent. That's solo violin (i.e. nothing else at all) rather than the violin being the main instrument (that would be a concerto)
    PC, JRiver/Qobuz, Digital XO, Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sextet, JBL L300
    LMS: 3xBoom, 1xRadio, SB3

Quote Originally Posted by -Stef- View Post
    Try Lara St. John on Magnatune (is not evil).
    Thanks, I had a listen and its quite nice. Although personally I often find Bach compositions a bit too "pretty". I'm not much into modern stuff either, but I do appreciate the occasional "oddities" in compositions. Sorry about all the "", but I do not know enough of classical music to express myself properly.

Btw. there is a Magnatune plugin for SqueezeCenter:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ight=magnatune

Edit: I relise Bach' compositions often are amazingly complex and full of odd stuff, but I guess I'm not looking for that kind of oddities. Hmm, I'm handweaving... If you feel like it just suggest something, and I'll have a listen and see what I think.
    Last edited by bhaagensen; 2008-08-03 at 04:33.

Quote Originally Posted by adamslim View Post
    Rachel Podger's Bach violin sonatas and partitas are excellent. That's solo violin (i.e. nothing else at all) rather than the violin being the main instrument (that would be a concerto)
    Thanks for clarifying. So what I actually meant was solo recordings AND violin concertos. Do you have any recommendations for concertos? Perhaps something not written by Bach, as per my answer above

B.

Try these:

Tchaikovsky violin Concerto
    Vivaldi Four Seasons
    Elgar Violin Concerto
    Sibelius Violin Concerto

Have fun!
    PC, JRiver/Qobuz, Digital XO, Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sextet, JBL L300
    LMS: 3xBoom, 1xRadio, SB3

Not Strictly Classical, but...

Great solo violinist debut album, beautifully performed & recorded, mostly classical but with a little modern Paul Schwartz orchestration: Lucia Micarelli - Music from a Farther Room

Catherine Lara's 2000 album ARAL (collaboration project with Eric Mouquet from Deep Forest) is also quite good, but much more like "World Fusion" than classical.
    - nk
    -----------------------------
    RND2150 > SB Duet > Niles ICS

Have a listen to: Tchaikovsky & Mendelssohn: Violin Concertos
    featuring Kyung-Wha Chung digitally recorded on London
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

iPhone: thanks for the recommendation and for reminding me of this thread. Of course, also thanks to the rest who have contributed.

In the meantime I've spent some time getting a bit more into classical music. A lot of interesting music, but two compositions/performances that really, in my optics, are worth (for totally different reasons) checking out are:

Violin Concerto No. 8 by Niccolo˛ Paganini. The recording by Hilary Hahn together with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra directed by the (in)famous Eiji Oue is close to flawless. Musically, the thing that makes it tick for me are not only the artistic elements, but even more the technical content. Mind you, I don't know a first bit about playing violin, but this just sounds amasingly difficult (and good). To me, the piece is a real show off, lots of bling, fun, and perhaps arrogance It makes sense that the composer was a violin virtous and a person who knew how to appreciate life.

The other I'd like to mention is Violin Concerto in D major by Igor Stravinsky. Again Hilary Hahn's performance together with The Academy of St. Martin in the fields is really good, also comparably I've read. This is totally different than the first one. If you know Stravinsky's work, you'll like it. I've recently become acquainted with Stravinsky, and it is just fantastic. Works like the Rite of Spring and the Ebony Concerto shows that he has an amasing range (over the course of a lifetime, but still) IMO. Its personal preference obviously, but he has really written some of the most amasing classical music I've heard to date.

Thumbs up Rachel Podger

Quote Originally Posted by adamslim View Post
    It's interesting that you would mention her. I'm new to classical also. I've been listening to her Vivaldi recording "La Stravaganza" alot lately on my Transporter in 24/96. http://www.linnrecords.com/recording...ravaganza.aspx

As well as Petteri Livonin http://www.linnrecords.com/recording...he-violin.aspx
    Both from Linn Records. What a treat!
    John