Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Can't connect to SlimServer"

After all the steps are done and a message tells that setup is complete, I invariably get the message "Problem: Can't connect to SlimServer".
    My server (computer) is on, but the Squeezebox/MusicPlayer pane says "Your player was not found".

What should I do?!

Do you have a firewall enabled? If you are on XP SP2 it may be on without you knowing it. Slimserver needs a couple of ports open to talk to the SB.

davep

Can't connect

I have exactly the same problem (win 2000). I have Zone Alarm, but even turning it off doesn't fix. Dead in the water.

Mike

I don't use Windows, but have seen some threads regarding Zone Alarm. Apparently it needs to be removed, not just switched off. I'm not sure if you can then re-install it.

Rather than rely on me, try searching for Zone Alarm to learn more.

Angry "Can't connect to SlimServer" (cont.)

I am using Mac OSX v. 10.4.5.
    I guess the problem is with encryptation, but don't know how to solve it: I choose "128 bit WEP" and provide as WEP key the 10 digit equivalent network password (WEP key) found under "base station" in the "configure" button of the Airport Administration Utility. But the Squeezebox prompt has 26 digits! Should I put zeros in the beginning or in the end (I have tried both)?

I can't remember the answer to this. I know I had it working ages ago. I think that the 26 digit number can be found somewhere in the Airport Admin Utility, or just possibly in the Network panel of System Preferences. Looking at Apple's site, you should get the 26 digit password by the method you tried, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

What base station and software are you using? Current (and maybe earlier) software for Airport Extreme permits WPA, which is more secure and works fine. There are several versions of WPA, I am using WPA2 Personal which seems ok despite the note on the router page of the wiki, but the simpler WPA TKIP is still better (and easier) than WEP.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatpik
    I have exactly the same problem (win 2000). I have Zone Alarm, but even turning it off doesn't fix. Dead in the water.

Mike
    Slimserver works fine with ZoneAlarm - it is AlienBBC (a plugin for Slimserver) that is a bit more troublesome.

What version of ZoneAlarm - one with an inbuilt firewall ? If the issue is a firewall one - turning off ZoneAlarm won't do it - there is a sneaky feature called something like TrueVector which means the firewall functions are active even when the program itself is disabled.

Couple of suggestions - have you included the IP address of your Slimserver into your Trusted Zone ?

Depending on the version of ZoneAlarm you are using, have you told it to allow Slimserver to act as a server ? [blue box flashes up when you first try to connect]

Also, have you enabled the relevant ports (3483 and 9000) in your router ?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

Edited to say - one more thought on the "Player not found" problem at the top of this thread. You're not still logged into Squeezenetwork on the player are you ? If so, you won't see the player until you log out of SN and refresh.
    Last edited by Siduhe; 2006-02-26 at 08:16.

Slimserver works fine with ZoneAlarm ...

Siduhe - Thanks - these sound like promising clues.

I don't know how to determine the IP address of Slim Server. Is this the address that is automatically assigned during setup or something else? How does one find this address?

I also don't know how to enable ports 3483 and 9000, but at least now I have something to search for. It sure would be nice if Slim Devices included this stuff in their basic instructions.

Best - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flatpik
    Siduhe - Thanks - these sound like promising clues.

I don't know how to determine the IP address of Slim Server. Is this the address that is automatically assigned during setup or something else? How does one find this address?
    On the SlimServer computer, Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt - type "ipconfig".

I also don't know how to enable ports 3483 and 9000, but at least now I have something to search for. It sure would be nice if Slim Devices included this stuff in their basic instructions.

Best - Mike
    These do not have to be port-forwarded in your router, not unless you want external (Internet) access to your SlimServer. But you need to allow these ports through your firewall.

Simply listing SlimServer as a trusted application, giving it server rights and putting your Squeezebox IP address as a trusted address should work fine though.

Can't connect

OK - The IP address for the PC is assigned dynanmically and I've set the Squeezebox to obtain an IP Address automatically. (so I shouldn't need to enter that manually during setup)

Slim Server.exe has full permissions - four checks - in Zone Alarm.

Squeezebox can connect to the wireless network and obtain an IP address, but still can't connect to the Slim Server. Slim Server can't see the Squeezebox.

When when checking "Current Settings" on the Squeezebox, the Subnet Mask is shown as 255.255.000.0 instead of 255.255.255.0, but I can't find a way to correct this.

What do you think?

Thanks - Mike