Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Joe Jackson is a genius

His Night And Day album is still one of my favorites to this day.
    In my opinion he has yet to get the credit he deserves.

BTW, I'm really glad to see a music forum here!

Quote Originally Posted by nelamvr6
    In my opinion he has yet to get the credit he deserves.

BTW, I'm really glad to see a music forum here!
    I love Joe Jackson as well. I'm more partial to Look Sharp! and Jumpin' Jive. I think the latter was my first introduction to him. I've been meaning to track down Body and Soul. Is it out of print?

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx
    I love Joe Jackson as well. I'm more partial to Look Sharp! and Jumpin' Jive. I think the latter was my first introduction to him. I've been meaning to track down Body and Soul. Is it out of print?

Have you heard Big World?

It was recorded live with very little post production processing. It sounds amazing and the music is top notch as well.

Not sure if Body And Soul is OOP or not, but you can still pick it up pretty readily. Here it is at Amazon.

Does anyone remember the Joe Jackson 10" album (vinyl) that included a "Look Sharp" pin? I still have a copy ... packed away in a box with all my other LPs that haven't seen the light of day for a number of years ...

I have a copy of the 10" as well as the all 45 RPM box of "I'm The Man".

nelamvr6: Which version of the "Night and Day" CD do you have? I have the MFSL release and the recent "deluxe edition" reissue. Both sound very nice.

I'm a big JJ fan. I've seen him about 6 or 7 times, including once at Joe's Pub (no relation) in New York City with about 100 people. I was right in front of the piano. I have CDs of all his albums (even the out of print ones) and they're all on the Squeezebox.

Live

I definitely second nelamvr6's recommendation of Big World. Excellent songs, tight band, SOTA sound. More political than the average JJ album in ways that mostly resonate just fine an even 20 years later.

The two disc set of JJ Live 1980-1986 has 5 or 6 tracks from tours for four albums--Beat Crazy, Night and Day, Body & Soul, and Big World. Oddly enough, no songs from Big World, but plenty from earlier albums including I'm The Man.

He gives all he's got to an adoring crowd on the LIve in Tokyo DVD (1988). A fun ride.

You've prompted me to listen to Night & Day again.. still seems very much a mixed bag to me.. a few great tracks, and several that I can't listen to all the way through. It also annoys me that he's British but sings in a fake American accent.. petty I know!

Quote Originally Posted by nelamvr6
    Great album. I'm a long-term fan of Joe Jackson, but have to admit he's put out a few albums which I can't relate to ("Laughter and Lust", "Will Power", "Heaven and Hell" and the recent "Night and Day 2").

Two fabulous albums that haven't been mentioned yet are "Blaze of Glory" and "Night Music".

I've not heard "Symphony No 1", and am hesitant to get it in case it's like "Will Power" or "Heaven and Hell". Any opinions?

I love all the J. Jackson albums mentioned but have not heard them for a long time. This discussion has prompted me to move the discs up in line to my hd so I can play them again.
    I like musicians who are not afraid to try something different and experiment. Tom Waits falls into that category and I can't wait for him to tour.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasy
    I have a copy of the 10" as well as the all 45 RPM box of "I'm The Man".

nelamvr6: Which version of the "Night and Day" CD do you have? I have the MFSL release and the recent "deluxe edition" reissue. Both sound very nice.

I'm a big JJ fan. I've seen him about 6 or 7 times, including once at Joe's Pub (no relation) in New York City with about 100 people. I was right in front of the piano. I have CDs of all his albums (even the out of print ones) and they're all on the Squeezebox.
    I also have both the MFSL gold Cd and also the Deluxe Edition. the bonus tracks are stellar!

I have yet to see him live, so I'm pretty envious. But I do have an interesting boot of Joe and Todd Rundgren in Germany with the string quartet "Ethel".