Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Problem connecting to Squeezenetwork

Hi
    I have had my SB3 since Xmas evrything was working fine until two weeks ago I suddenly was unable to connect to the Squeezenetwork I am getting a 'cant find address' message. I am using a Netgear Wireless router DG834G have tried disabling firewall - SB3 is set to auto on find IP address.

I have very basic IT networking skills and experience so if anyone is kind enough to help please assume I am a time traveller from 1950 when providing any help or advice

All other aspects of my SB3 seem to work fine ??

Many thx

R

Problem connecting toSqueezenetwork

* gemco shaped the electrons to say...

>I have had my SB3 since Xmas evrything was working fine until two weeks
    >ago I suddenly was unable to connect to the Squeezenetwork I am getting
    >a 'cant find address' message. I am using a Netgear Wireless router
    >DG834G have tried disabling firewall - SB3 is set to auto on find IP
    >address.
    >
    >I have very basic IT networking skills and experience so if anyone is
    >kind enough to help please assume I am a time traveller from 1950 when
    >providing any help or advice
    >
    >All other aspects of my SB3 seem to work fine ??

We recently moved the datacenter where SqueezeNetwork is hosted. The IP
    address changed during this move.

Perhaps your router is caching the old DNS information? Try rebooting it?

Have you rebooted your SB3 as well?

-D
    --
    ( ( ( [ ] ) ) )
    In Stereo Where
    Available

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sully
    * gemco shaped the electrons to say...

>I have had my SB3 since Xmas evrything was working fine until two weeks
    >ago I suddenly was unable to connect to the Squeezenetwork I am getting
    >a 'cant find address' message. I am using a Netgear Wireless router
    >DG834G have tried disabling firewall - SB3 is set to auto on find IP
    >address.
    >
    >I have very basic IT networking skills and experience so if anyone is
    >kind enough to help please assume I am a time traveller from 1950 when
    >providing any help or advice
    >
    >All other aspects of my SB3 seem to work fine ??

We recently moved the datacenter where SqueezeNetwork is hosted. The IP
    address changed during this move.

Perhaps your router is caching the old DNS information? Try rebooting it?

Have you rebooted your SB3 as well?

-D
    --
    ( ( ( [ ] ) ) )
    In Stereo Where
    Available
    Hi Dan

Yes guess I should have said but I have rebooted both the router and the SB3 no luck.

R

Quote Originally Posted by gemco
    Hi
    I have had my SB3 since Xmas evrything was working fine until two weeks ago I suddenly was unable to connect to the Squeezenetwork I am getting a 'cant find address' message. I am using a Netgear Wireless router DG834G have tried disabling firewall - SB3 is set to auto on find IP address.

I have very basic IT networking skills and experience so if anyone is kind enough to help please assume I am a time traveller from 1950 when providing any help or advice

All other aspects of my SB3 seem to work fine

Many thx

R
    ??
    Gemco, are you in Hants UK? i am having the same problem with the same router, i've tried rebooting it but no go, did you sort it out?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by squeezeme
    ??
    Gemco, are you in Hants UK? i am having the same problem with the same router, i've tried rebooting it but no go, did you sort it out?

Paul
    Hi Paul

Yes I am in Hants UK - problem not sorted yet I am afraid

R

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by gemco
    Hi Paul

Yes I am in Hants UK - problem not sorted yet I am afraid

R
    Small world!
    I don't generaly use SN but the pandora thing sounds like it could be good, so when i go to SN it woon't connect, typicalhttp://forums.slimdevices.com/images/icons/icon9.gif
    Unhappy

Hi all,

I also experienced the "address not found" problem, Im also in the UK.

My ADSL router automatically grabs its DNS server address from the ISP (usual scenario). My Squeezebox will ALWAYS fail to resolve the address for the squeezenetwork.

However, if I use manual settings on my SB and enter in a different DNS server, the SB will happily resolve addresses.

I used the "tracert" command on both the ISP DNS and my own DNS settings to see whats going on.

As it happens, tracert was able to resolve the squeezenetwork address using either DNS server. The only difference being that the ISP DNS took longer to resolve (more hops). My own DNS setting was about 10 hops shorter, and alot quicker!

Could it be (espically for those in UK who have longer hops to a USA site) that the DNS is'nt failing to resolve the address, but that the squeezebox is timing out too quickly and not being patient enough??

Is it possible for a future firmware to increase the DNS resolve name timeout?

For what its worth, my UK ISP is BT Openworld. If other UK members are having troble, I'll post the details of vaild alternative DNS servers you can use to manually configure your squeezebox.

Cheers,
    Michael.

I still have this prob. and i don't have an alternative dns to use, i am using AOL unfortunatley so being able to make changes seems to be a no no.
    If somebody can help to resolve this it would be appreciated. I am not V. technical but can get myself around given a little instruction.

Thanks
    Paul

What are you using as your IP address in SlimServer's DNS entry? You have 3 possibilities:

1. Your router's IP address. By far the most common. However you have to set your router to act as a DNS server and even then I couldn't get it to work for me.

2. Your DSL modem's IP address. Just like the router, it can act as a DNS server. This works for me some of the time, but when I get "Can't find address for SqueezeNetwork" I know it's not working.

3. An external IP address. IMHO the best option. It always works for me. You can use the one your ISP is providing for you - your router will pick this up. I believe your computer will also pick this up if you're using DHCP - type "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt (Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt).

When a change is made to a website's IP address, it takes some time to filter down to all DNS servers, so the problem may resolve itself in a day or two. However if your DNS server was never working properly in the first place, it will store its old information without updating it and the Squeezebox will always read from this old cache, remaining broken for good.

AOL has to follow the same networking conventions as everyone else. They are supplying your router and/or your computer with an external IP address as a DNS server - it will be outside your "home network range" of 192.168.1.x.

[QUOTE=Mark Lanctot]What are you using as your IP address in SlimServer's DNS entry? You have 3 possibilities:

1. Your router's IP address. By far the most common. However you have to set your router to act as a DNS server and even then I couldn't get it to work for me.

2. Your DSL modem's IP address. Just like the router, it can act as a DNS server. This works for me some of the time, but when I get "Can't find address for SqueezeNetwork" I know it's not working.

3. An external IP address. IMHO the best option. It always works for me. You can use the one your ISP is providing for you - your router will pick this up. I believe your computer will also pick this up if you're using DHCP - type "ipconfig /all" at a command prompt (Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt).

When a change is made to a website's IP address, it takes some time to filter down to all DNS servers, so the problem may resolve itself in a day or two. However if your DNS server was never working properly in the first place, it will store its old information without updating it and the Squeezebox will always read from this old cache, remaining broken for good.

AOL has to follow the same networking conventions as everyone else. They are supplying your router and/or your computer with an external IP address as a DNS server - it will be outside your "home network range" of 192.168.1.x.[/QU

Thanks for this Mark - how do find and recognise the IP address that my ISP is providing for me? and then how do I change it in SS DNS directory? - I am using AOL.

Thanks