Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jukebox frontend

Is there any software or skin that can put the Slim into a true Jukebox mode? For instance, just display albums with track names, and play whatever ever track you choose, and force the following choices to go to the end of the list, and lock out everything else?

This would be great for a party where guests can choose the music. The trouble now is that someone will come along and put a bunch of music in the queue, and the next person picks a song and presses play or next instead of "add to playlist" and the existing lineup is trashed.

I was thinking the same thing. Would indeed be great for parties to allow folks to add a song to the queue. Would be nice to be able to give someone a code to punch in that allows them to add "up to x songs", so no-one can monopolize the playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt
    Is there any software or skin that can put the Slim into a true Jukebox mode? For instance, just display albums with track names, and play whatever ever track you choose, and force the following choices to go to the end of the list, and lock out everything else?

This would be great for a party where guests can choose the music. The trouble now is that someone will come along and put a bunch of music in the queue, and the next person picks a song and presses play or next instead of "add to playlist" and the existing lineup is trashed.
    To really make it usable in such a scenario, you'd need a few more constraints. Keep in mind that a commercial jukebox has a critical limiting factor - $money. You generally don't get a single person stacking the jukebox for the whole night, just because it usually costs too much.

You'd want (configurable) controls such as:

- Only tracks, not albums could be queued. Otherwise it's too easy for someone to load up an hour or two of music in a shot.

- You'd want to limit the number of tracks that could be added to N per M minutes. This would effectively limit how many tracks someone can add at one time.

A good way to do this would be to add credits every N minutes, or else when there's less than some number of songs remaining in the queue.

- Optionally, limit the length of a tune that can be played to under N seconds. Keeps people from playing stuff like the 33 minute Allman Brothers' "Mountain Jam" (that was in a CD jukebox in a bar I used to go to - it was killed by the bartender within 10 seconds of starting any time someone played it).

- Also optionally, no STOP or POWER OFF, no FFW, no RWD, no skipping tracks without some kind of authorization code.

Cool idea, but I'm guessing a lot of work to implement.

One thing I'd love to have, even without the idea of jukebox style controls, is the visual interface of a jukebox. Namely, a view where you could browse through albums with cover art and with all tracks visible.

This is something I've always hoped to see in SlimServer - that when I'm looking at a list of albums, whatever the browse mode, I'd have the option of viewing the tracks on those albums without descending another level. I could browse to some artist, say "Santana", and easily see which album or albums have the track I'm looking for. Right now, you either have to do a search or else you poke around forever to find a track while browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx
    One thing I'd love to have, even without the idea of jukebox style controls, is the visual interface of a jukebox. Namely, a view where you could browse through albums with cover art and with all tracks visible.

This is something I've always hoped to see in SlimServer - that when I'm looking at a list of albums, whatever the browse mode, I'd have the option of viewing the tracks on those albums without descending another level. I could browse to some artist, say "Santana", and easily see which album or albums have the track I'm looking for. Right now, you either have to do a search or else you poke around forever to find a track while browsing.
    The only thing I've ever seen like that is Music Lobby by Cinemar, but I think it's tied to J River Media Center.

As far as the useability, I think most controls sould be locked out by an authorization code. I guess I'm not too worried about people playing entire albums. Even if there was a skin that somehow only let you "add to playlist" would be a start...

Ed

Re: Jukebox frontend

"Kurt"
    <Kurt.22zklb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote in message news:Kurt.22zklb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com...
    >
    > SqueezeBox 2, interconnects spun by God himself suspended on 24K gold
    > support beams placed exactly .9842 inches above the floor, driving
    > modified Martin Logan's woven with butterfly wings.

Best...sig...EVER! :-)

Ed
    89CamaroZ28 (AT) nowherenow (DOT) com

Thanks, Dude!

Most people at my parties find the Remote and the Screen pretty intuitive. Generally ends up with a fight over the remote! I must admit that the idea of a Jukebox mode is quite cool though....

just a thought - does Moose fit some of the requirements on this??

I agree that the screens are pretty intuitive and easy to use, but everytime I've let people do it someone always comes along and mucks it up. There will be 10-20 songs that are in the playlist from previous people, and when the next person comes by and pick their selection, they do it by clicking "Play" and the whole list is destroyed.

Just looking for a simple, somewhat "fool proof" screen to add songs to the playlist and that's it.

I haven't tried Moose myself yet. Any Moose users out there?

Dr Lovegrove

Re: Jukebox frontend

On 16/02/06, Kurt <Kurt.23cghb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    > I agree that the screens are pretty intuitive and easy to use, but
    > everytime I've let people do it someone always comes along and mucks it
    > up. There will be 10-20 songs that are in the playlist from previous
    > people, and when the next person comes by and pick their selection,
    > they do it by clicking "Play" and the whole list is destroyed.
    >
    > Just looking for a simple, somewhat "fool proof" screen to add songs to
    > the playlist and that's it.
    >
    > I haven't tried Moose myself yet. Any Moose users out there?

Wouldnt be too tricky to add a jukebox mode to Moose, in fact it was
    something I was thinking about.. Fullscreen window with two controls:
    a list of album artwork for all artists to the left, and a list of
    tracks for the
    selected album to the right.. Some buttons, some Now playing information
    and some secret key shortcut to swap back to the normal UI..

I'll keep you posted.. As it is, Moose's library window is pretty simple
    to use in a party environment, although wouldnt solve your 'people hitting
    play' problems.. Worth giving it a spin though, it's free.. :-)

--
    - Dr Lovegrove
    http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove