Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Baumgarten
    GoCubs wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCubs

I'm not sure if the stream is using the voice codec. I'm not sure how to determine that.
    A guess: Open the Sirius URL with Windows Media Player and look at the "Properties" page when it's playing.
    Here is what I found from sampling a few streams tonight:

Sirius Hits 1:
    Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio V8
    32 kbps, 32 kHz, stereo

Left of Center:
    Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio V8
    32 kbps, 32 kHz, stereo

OutQ:
    Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio 9
    32 kbps, 32 kHz, stereo 1-pass CBR

It seems like Sirius is using a different codec for the music streams then it is for the talk streams. Maybe you can try the OutQ channel to see if the SB2/3 can handle that stream direclty.

I have been banging on the updated plugin for the past few hours and it seems to be working nicely so far. Handles station changes well. The hardest part was that I mistpyed my password in the code and couldn't figure out why the login kept failing.

--Tom Malsbury

Gentlemen,
    First I would like to thank you for all the had work you have done so far, on this plugin. After receiving my SqueezeBox the first hing I wanted to do was listen to Sirius. I thought I would need to develope the plugin myself, so once again thank you.
    Second, After trying the latest build tonight I too noticed that the SqueezeBox was attempting to decode the stream directly, and disableing the file type in the server had no effect. I was useing SlimServer 6.2.1. So I decided to upgrade to 6.2.2, and here is where it gets interesting. Useing the remote I can scroll thru Internet Radio -> Sirius Radio -> Log in to my account -> and scroll thru the channel list....but nothing happens when I press Play. Did I do something wrong? Everything else works just as it did before.

Thanks,
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Daedales
    Gentlemen,
    Second, After trying the latest build tonight I too noticed that the SqueezeBox was attempting to decode the stream directly, and disableing the file type in the server had no effect. I was useing SlimServer 6.2.1. So I decided to upgrade to 6.2.2, and here is where it gets interesting. Useing the remote I can scroll thru Internet Radio -> Sirius Radio -> Log in to my account -> and scroll thru the channel list....but nothing happens when I press Play. Did I do something wrong? Everything else works just as it did before.
    Drew-
    As far as I know, the plugin should perform the same in 6.2.1, 6.2.2, and 6.5b. Unfortuantely, right now the plugin will not work on a SB2/3.

This appears to be because these players support wma playback directly in the hardware player and that wma decoder for some reason cannot handle the Sirius stream. Earlier SB's do not have wma hardware playback, so the server decodes the stream for it. For whatever reason, the server is able to handle the stream itself.

Hopefully we'll find a way to either force an SB2/3 to use server decoding, or SlimDevices will update the wma decoding code in the firmware of the hardware player to support the stream.

One option that MAY work, if you really want Sirius on a SB2/3 NOW would be to use an older version of SlimServer from before hardware wma support was added. I can't remember exactly when/what version this would be, but it'd probably work.

Hopefully this clears things up.

-Greg

Greg,
    Thanks for the quick responce....I do understand about the decodeing problem. What I thought was happening was that nothing was actually happening when i pressed play. Under 6.2.1 the display actually reacted when pressing the play button. But under 6.2.2 it did not. But i loaded slim with -d_directstream and saw the same output I did under 6.2.1...so it was my bad.

Thanks.

Re: Sirius WMA stream works via SoftSqueeze but notonhardware player

As a quick hack (assuming you are not running the windows exe) try removing wma from the list returned by Slim/Player/Squeezebox2.pm
    sub formats.

I though there was some work to fall back on server streaming if the firmware didn't interpret the stream.

Otherwise looks like we need a way for the plugin to force the decoding. An option would be to make up a new content type - say
    wmaserver, add it to custom-types.conf, custom-convert.conf [as copies of the wma ones to transcode wav/flc/mp3] and then set the
    content type to this in the plugin for the stream. [Not looked at the plugin in question though!]

> Perhaps one of the other devs will chime in with an answer. I believe
    > AlienBBC does the right thing with WMA streams. Perhaps one of those
    > devs can help.

Re: Sirius WMA stream works via SoftSqueeze butnot onhardware player

* Triode shaped the electrons to say...

>I though there was some work to fall back on server streaming if the
    >firmware didn't interpret the stream.

Yes - for the local WMA Lossless case. Nothing for remote.

-D
    --
    Adobe Photoshop - When you want the truth. Real bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Triode
    As a quick hack (assuming you are not running the windows exe) try removing wma from the list returned by Slim/Player/Squeezebox2.pm
    sub formats.

I though there was some work to fall back on server streaming if the firmware didn't interpret the stream.

Otherwise looks like we need a way for the plugin to force the decoding. An option would be to make up a new content type - say
    wmaserver, add it to custom-types.conf, custom-convert.conf [as copies of the wma ones to transcode wav/flc/mp3] and then set the
    content type to this in the plugin for the stream. [Not looked at the plugin in question though!]

> Perhaps one of the other devs will chime in with an answer. I believe
    > AlienBBC does the right thing with WMA streams. Perhaps one of those
    > devs can help.
    Before we go and start making kludges to make it work, is there anyone that is knowledable on the firmware-based decoding that can have a look at the Sirius WMA stream to determine exactly what the problem is?

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GoCubs
    I've gone ahead and posted my latest copy.
    This version allows playing of any of the available stations and you don't need to manually convert your password.
    -Greg
    Hi Greg,

Does this require disabling 'Windows Media (built-in)' filetype? As a workaround, have you considered streaming to mplayer like the AlienBBC player does?

I'm very excited about this! I actually started poking around the XM plugin last night to get it working with Sirius. Fortunately, someone in the forums let me know you were already developing!

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by atod
    Does this require disabling 'Windows Media (built-in)' filetype? As a workaround, have you considered streaming to mplayer like the AlienBBC player does?
    One would think that disabling the built-in decoder would do the trick, however, for some reason the way SlimServer is coded it overrides that setting and still trys to stream directly from the server.

I'm not an expert on how AlienBBC interfaces with mplayer, but I think once you have mplayer associated to the proper file types it would happen automatically in any plugin. BUT, once again I believe SlimServer will override that and try to stream directly from the player.

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by malsbury
    I have to say that it works great on my system. It accepted my username and hashed password without issue. It is getting the stream url and passing that through mplayer for convertion to MP3 and out to my Slimp3 without any problem.
    --Tom Malsbury
    Hi Tom,

I noticed that you have this working through mplayer. Do you have a code diff or listing of modifications you made to get this working?

Thanks