Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Squeezebox3 seems very buggy

I've just bought a new Squeezebox3 and I can't believe how buggy it seems to be. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sending it back.

1) Fast forward doesn't work on WMA lossy (CBR or VBR) files. It says Scanning 2X but the audio stops and the progress bar doesn't move. Pressing play causes playback causes it to stop saying Scanning 2X but still no audio. Pressing play again causes playback to start from the beginning of the track.

2) Fast forward on FLAC and WAV causes the progress bar to stop working properly. It counting from 0 again towards the end of the track. It sorts itself out at the start of the next track. I also don't particularly like the way you have to press, hold and then release the button to make it do fast forward or fast forward faster. It would have been much better if the remote had individual buttons for fast forward and track advance. Failing that maybe the longer you hold the button for the faster it goes?

3) Rewind (on WAV and possibly FLAC) just after a track advance causes it to say Scanning -2X but the audio stops and the progress bar doesn't move. Pressing play causes playback to resume.

4) By default WAV gets transcoded to FLAC for no good reason. You save ~25% bandwidth but lose the ability to fast forward or rewind and plus use up CPU time on the server.

5) Playing WMA VBR files on the squeezebox sometimes introduces artifacts. They are not present if the files are transcoded to WAV or FLAC on the server.

6) Sometimes trying to select an internet radio station on the squeezebox with the remote won't work but the same station can be selected using the web interface.

7) In the browse by folder menu using the alphanumeric keys to quickly jump to a particular letter doesn't work properly. The PQRS TUV and WXYZ buttons cause it to get into a state where none of the buttons work correctly. You have to back out of the menu to fix it (and then it only works until you press one of those buttons again). This behaviour doesn't happen when browsing by artist or album.

I don't think any of my problems are caused by networking issues. I have 80% signal strength and never have any kind of dropouts. All the things I have seen are completely repeatable.

I'm using SlimServer 6.2.1 on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with SP2.

So are all these problems likely to get fixed anytime soon or is my Squeezebox3 heading back to the supplier?

Quote Originally Posted by shawkie
    I've just bought a new Squeezebox3 and I can't believe how buggy it seems to be.
    Give it a little time. It'll grow on you.

Some of them may already be fixed - try a 6.2 nightly.

WMA support was new in 6.1 so the bugs may well be sorted (I don't know 'cos I don't use it).

2) fair comment on the button operation, but there is a plugin that allows you to jump to any point in a song I think. Maybe that would work for you.

3) is correct - you have shuttled back to the start of the song and can't go any earlier.

4) if you don't like the default setting, just change it in Server Settings -> File Types by unchecking that particular conversion type. It's pretty easy to force it to stream the format you want.

7) I have seen something like this, but not for a while. If you get it after trying 6.2, either file a bug or post here and I'll file one!

Thanks for your reply. I just tried the latest beta and it seems to have all the same bugs plus a new one.

8) After fast forwarding a WAV file and resuming playback it plays back okay for a few seconds and then becomes slow and choppy.

And some more comments

3) If you rewind from the middle of a track it is possible to rewind through the track break into the previous track. So why is this not possible from the start of a track?

7) This bug is definitely still present in both 6.2.1 and the latest beta.

Quote Originally Posted by shawkie
    1) Fast forward doesn't work on WMA lossy (CBR or VBR) files. It says Scanning 2X but the audio stops and the progress bar doesn't move. Pressing play causes playback causes it to stop saying Scanning 2X but still no audio. Pressing play again causes playback to start from the beginning of the track.

2) Fast forward on FLAC and WAV causes the progress bar to stop working properly. It counting from 0 again towards the end of the track. It sorts itself out at the start of the next track. I also don't particularly like the way you have to press, hold and then release the button to make it do fast forward or fast forward faster. It would have been much better if the remote had individual buttons for fast forward and track advance. Failing that maybe the longer you hold the button for the faster it goes?

3) Rewind (on WAV and possibly FLAC) just after a track advance causes it to say Scanning -2X but the audio stops and the progress bar doesn't move. Pressing play causes playback to resume.
    I have these exact same problems. I am hoping the problems are due to Slimserver and not the SB3. All the nightly beta's i have tried have been to buggy for me. Waiting for the proper 6.5 release to see if that helps.

Anyone know when 6.5 is due for release?

If you're new to the Squeezeboxes, a few comments are in order.

People on this list know most of this stuff, but forget that newcomers don't.

The Squeezebox is a "thin" client (the "slim" in the name), so there's not all that much in the box itself. A processor, a software DSP, stuff for the display, the DAC, some memory for a buffer, a network interface, power regulation, a few other things). Oh, the wireless card if you have a wireless one.

Most of the "decisions" are made in the server, which is open source and easily updated or modified.

Almost everything you wrote about is really coding in the server, not the squeezebox itself.

So when people say "it's not the squeezebox", what they mean is, it's not something that needs firmware updates, therefore it is easy to fix.

There are people on the list who can answer, in more details, whether what you're describing is a bug, whether it's been fixed in the beta releases already or not, and how to go about getting it fixed. One of the things that isn't clear about the squeezebox initially is that there are so many music formats, so many methods of accessing the server, etc, that not all options get properly checked out and sometimes bugs slip through.

PAUL WILLIAMSON

Re: Squeezebox3 seems very buggy

>> dangerous_dom.22py2b (AT) no-mx (DOT...limdevices.com 02/04/06 1:52 PM
    >>>

>I have these exact same problems. I am hoping the problems are due
    > to Slimserver and not the SB3. All the nightly beta's i have tried
    > have been to buggy for me. Waiting for the proper 6.5 release to
    > see if that helps.
    >
    > Anyone know when 6.5 is due for release?

LOL. That's some funny ish...the HTML for the browser control is
    barely working right. I doubt it will be anytime soon. I would bet
    that 6.2 train will be working without flaw (or close) first.

All these bugs sound like they're already reported. I can't look at
    bugzilla, but if they aren't reported, they can't get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelwagner
    If you're new to the Squeezeboxes, a few comments are in order.

People on this list know most of this stuff, but forget that newcomers don't.

The Squeezebox is a "thin" client (the "slim" in the name), so there's not all that much in the box itself. A processor, a software DSP, stuff for the display, the DAC, some memory for a buffer, a network interface, power regulation, a few other things). Oh, the wireless card if you have a wireless one.

Most of the "decisions" are made in the server, which is open source and easily updated or modified.

Almost everything you wrote about is really coding in the server, not the squeezebox itself.

So when people say "it's not the squeezebox", what they mean is, it's not something that needs firmware updates, therefore it is easy to fix.

There are people on the list who can answer, in more details, whether what you're describing is a bug, whether it's been fixed in the beta releases already or not, and how to go about getting it fixed. One of the things that isn't clear about the squeezebox initially is that there are so many music formats, so many methods of accessing the server, etc, that not all options get properly checked out and sometimes bugs slip through.
    Okay, I've looked at the bugzilla database (scary reading) and thought I'd update my comments a bit.

1) This is listed as #571 although this report dates from before the SB could do native wma.

2) This is listed as #2486 and #1191.

3) This is not listed.

4) Personally, I think WAV should not be transcoded by default but I don't really care since its configurable.

5) This is not listed and is the most serious in my opinion.

6) This is not listed but also seems to have stopped happening. Not quite sure what changed.

7) This is not listed. My guess is that it sometimes forgets its dealing with a sorted list.

8) I think this only happens in the 6.5 beta so it doesn't really count.

If I can create a login for bugzilla I will add bug reports for 3, 5 and 7.

Yet another update.

5) The artifacts are actually gaps introduced by the squeezebox (or slimserver?). Not entirely suprising. I've tested it with the same track at different bitrates. At 178kbps (avg?) I just get a couple of (relatively) long gaps near the start of the track. At 448kbps (avg?) I get longer gaps near the start and small gaps at fairly regular intervals all the way through the track. I guess thats logical. But why does it play perfectly when transcoded to WAV which is 1440kbps?

Marc Sherman

Re: Squeezebox3 seems very buggy

shawkie wrote:
    >
    > 8) I think this only happens in the 6.5 beta so it doesn't really
    > count.
    >
    > If I can create a login for bugzilla I will add bug reports for 3, 5
    > and 7.

File a bug for 8 too, just make sure you note that it's new in 6.5.

- Marc