Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    20

    Switching Off the Server

    Hi

    Has anyone experiance or ideas on how I can get a remote server to switch off or go in to hibernate mode if the Slimserver does not access it for say 30 minutes. I would prefer however that the PC is (soft) switched off (as it boots up to the desk top and can be controled remotely)

    I have a dedicated PC to hold all my music files running Windows XP. To save wear and tear it would be desirable to switch off the PC when not in use. There is an inbuild function (Control Panel - Display - Screen Saver - Power) to put the PC in standby/hibernate mode if not used. It seems that activity via tha LAN does not count and the PC will switch to the standby/hibernate mode after the set time even though music is being streamed from it.

    Any clues?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Michaelwagner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,024
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

    If you want to save power and perhaps noise when there's no usage for a while, use the power control applet to spin down your hard disk(s) after half an hour of no use. This saves more than half of the total power consumption, works like a charm, has worked in M$ software for many years, does the right thing, etc.

    Do the same thing with your monitor and you're 3/4 of the way there.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    20
    I want to save power and wear and tear. Unfortunately when the PC stays on there is noise from the fans and the electronics (heating up) and moving parts are subject to wear and tear.

    In the absence of the facility to have the PC go to standby/hibernation or Off when streaming (Hard Disc & LAN activity) is stopped, I will have to stop the HD and monitor working.

    Perhaps someone knows how to switch the PC to the standby/hibernate mode or Off after the set time even though music is being streamed from it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Michaelwagner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Perhaps someone knows how to switch the PC to the standby/hibernate mode or Off after the set time even though music is being streamed from it.
    Why would you want to do that? It would stop the music ... ???

  5. #5
    Senior Member gharris999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Posts
    3,515
    I worked out some power saving methods for slimservers running on windows. See my post at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...t=15523&page=3

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Hi

    Has anyone experiance or ideas on how I can get a remote server to switch off or go in to hibernate mode if the Slimserver does not access it for say 30 minutes. I would prefer however that the PC is (soft) switched off (as it boots up to the desk top and can be controled remotely)

    I have a dedicated PC to hold all my music files running Windows XP. To save wear and tear it would be desirable to switch off the PC when not in use. There is an inbuild function (Control Panel - Display - Screen Saver - Power) to put the PC in standby/hibernate mode if not used. It seems that activity via tha LAN does not count and the PC will switch to the standby/hibernate mode after the set time even though music is being streamed from it.

    Any clues?

    I am new to slimserver. But should slimserver not just tell the os that its in use when one or more player is connected and playing like most mediaplayers do? There is a basic function call to set the execution state to do this. Then you could user the regular powermanagement that will turn the server off after x amount of idle time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Michaelwagner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,024
    An interesting idea ... I seem to recall in the dim dark recesses of my trivia-infested mind that there is a windows call for "I'd like to power down this PC now, do you agree?". I guess Slim could hook it and veto power-down if it was streaming to a player.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelwagner
    Why would you want to do that? It would stop the music ... ???
    The idea is to stop the PC being On when the Slimserver is no longer in use. The slimserver has this fantastic fuction WOL where it turns the PC On when Music is wanted.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by gharris999
    I worked out some power saving methods for slimservers running on windows. See my post at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...t=15523&page=3
    Thankyou. There is some reading to do here. I will get back to you

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by )p(
    I am new to slimserver. But should slimserver not just tell the os that its in use when one or more player is connected and playing like most mediaplayers do? There is a basic function call to set the execution state to do this. Then you could user the regular powermanagement that will turn the server off after x amount of idle time.
    Thanks. What you suggest would be useful but I guess that Slimserver does not employ the function call that you are aware of.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •