Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

UPnP support coming to Squeezebox?

Hello all,

I'm currently looking to buy a stand-alone digital audio unit. Needless to say, the Squeezebox v3 is on my list. It seems everybody is raving about its sound quality and the slimserver software. So far, so good.

However, the squeezebox is one of the few players that can not connect to common UPnP media servers. I know that the slimserver software has some advantages, like tighter player integration and transcoding, but it's also considerably more resource-intensive. This is not a problem when running a server on a desktop, but it does become one when running on a NAS device.

I'd very much like to attach a simple NAS drive to the wired ethernet port of the Squeezebox, so that I do not have to turn on the noisy and power-hungry PC in the next room just to play music on the Squeezebox. Unfortunately, the simplest NAS that runs a slimserver (QNAP TS-101) is 350 euros without HD! In comparison, a Maxtor Shared Storage with a TwonkyVision UPnP server and 200GB HD included sets you back only 240 euros.

Can anyone tell me whether I am maybe overlooking something? If not, what do you think the chances are for the Squeezebox v3 to get basic UPnP support through a future firmware upgrade? This would obviously not kill the slimserver, but it would be a good alternative for people who only need basic functionality. They might now end up buying a SoundBridge instead. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
    Simon

Slimserver s/w is the product differentiator - its functionality is one of the main reasons for buying a SB compared to a uPNP device. It has enabled users of the original products slimp3 and SB1 to listen to WMA, Ogg, Flac and RealAudio. With uPNP products you get stuck after a while.

On your NAS point - slimserver is running on a number of NAS including NSLU2, Linkstation, Kurobox, Syncology 101j.

A linkstation 300Gb will cost you about euro 245. Slimserver is free. If you are not comfortable with installing slimserver on linkstation. there is a consultant who will install slimserver remotely for a fee.

Smile thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bpa
    On your NAS point - slimserver is running on a number of NAS including NSLU2, Linkstation, Kurobox, Syncology 101j.
    I did not know that the slimserver could be made to run on the other lower-end NAS devices. That changes things considerably. I might get the NSLU2 to work with my current external USB2 drive. The cheapest option by far! Thanks a lot!

Any comments regarding the speed? I guess the NSLU2 is less powerful than its bigger siblings? Is it usable?

Cheers,
    Simon

Check through the forums to get an idea. Some actual users might provide some feedback on this thread re NSLU2 or you could start a new specific thread.

For NSLU2 I think you may have to install unslung and also it is advisable to do the clock speed mod.

AFAIK while slimserver plays OK - the initial database scan will take hours and web browsing is a bit slow.

Edit:
    This thread gives some idea of NSLU2 capabuilities.
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22136

While NLSU2 is OK for music - I'd be cautious that it won't be able to run some plugins which use other apps or are more CPU intensive e.g. AlienBBC. You could try things out with softsqueeze before buying an SB3.
    Last edited by bpa; 2006-04-21 at 10:17.

thanks again

Thank you for the info and the link. I'll have to search and read a bit more, but I think the NSLU2 will fit the bill. I'm looking for something as small and quiet (no fan) as possible that also doesn't break the bank. I would simply use it as an MP3 server. If and when I need more functionality (not often), I could turn on the PC.

I just realized I can probably connect my portable photo storage device with 2.5" HD to get a complete system for 100 euros (price of NSLU2 in NL). For that price, I think it's worth a try

I'm off to do some more searching now!

I put together a fanless mini-itx solution, running both Slimserver and Netgears uPNP software as I have an MP101 as well as a Squeezebox

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22506

Regards