Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 121 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1301
    It's a TEAC A-3300SX, one of my many (50+) reel to reel decks.
    As you can see it's quite rare for me to use something so 'digital' in my setup. The Squeezebox must do something right!

Quote Originally Posted by s_k View Post
    It's a TEAC A-3300SX, one of my many (50+) reel to reel decks.
    As you can see it's quite rare for me to use something so 'digital' in my setup. The Squeezebox must do something right!
    Thanks! A TEAC A-3300SX, no wonder it looks so familiar. Although that particular model does not appear to be an "editing" deck, I'm pretty sure that the radio station I worked at did have a TEAC unit which was set up for editing, i.e. it was mounted on a stand, laying flat and had an editing block located on top of the tape head cover. Or I could be totally wrong and the TEAC was in the broadcast studio and there were completely different editing tape decks in the production studio. It's been a long, long time since I was in college editing radio programs.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Thanks! A TEAC A-3300SX, no wonder it looks so familiar. Although that particular model does not appear to be an "editing" deck, I'm pretty sure that the radio station I worked at did have a TEAC unit which was set up for editing, i.e. it was mounted on a stand, laying flat and had an editing block located on top of the tape head cover. Or I could be totally wrong and the TEAC was in the broadcast studio and there were completely different editing tape decks in the production studio. It's been a long, long time since I was in college editing radio programs.
    I agree. It certainly makes more sense to me to piggyback (with software) on other folk's hardware to use as SB replacements (e.g., iPeng and SqueezePad both do that for me). The connection from the iphone or ipad out to something else still leaves something to be desired for me (it won't connect easily to another DAC, etc.), but the idea is that Pippin didn't have to deal with creating the hardware seems the right approach to me. Of course DIYers can always do something with hardware on a small scale.

EDIT: Yes, this has nothing to do with this thread. Don't drink and post. ;-0 (and I've only had one beer on this nice Sunday afternoon!)
    Last edited by garym; 2012-09-30 at 14:21.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I agree. It certainly makes more sense to me to piggyback (with software) on other folk's hardware to use as SB replacements (e.g., iPeng and SqueezePad both do that for me). The connection from the iphone or ipad out to something else still leaves something to be desired for me (it won't connect easily to another DAC, etc.), but the idea is that Pippin didn't have to deal with creating the hardware seems the right approach to me. Of course DIYers can always do something with hardware on a small scale.
    Gary - did you mean to post this to a different thread? Perhaps the thread about buying a new Touch?
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Last.fm

If it wasn't too big of a radio station you can be quite sure that the machine used there was a ReVox, either an A77 or a B77.
    It could have been a TEAC, but TEAC never really made any editing decks. It probably was a Tascam then (Sort of "Teac Pro" machinerie).
    If it was a really very heavy (more than 50 kilo's) machine with pancakes, it probably was something entirely different.

Was the front made out of metal? And did the editing block come as stock, or was it added later on? Did it include a cutting knife or just a 'tape gutter'?

Gary - did you mean to post this to a different thread? Perhaps the thread about buying a new Touch?
    Haha, it certainly has nothing to do with the TEAC. Although I don't mind being quoted.

Yep. duh. don't know how that happened. reposted in the right place. thanks!\

edit: or maybe this is an example of the non-bit perfect stuff that I debate about in other threads. Perhaps I've suffered from the dreaded bit-rot and the bits I sent to the forum turned into something completely nonsensical. I may have to change my beliefs in the face of this evidence. bits are no longer bits. oh my. :-p
    Last edited by garym; 2012-09-30 at 14:25.
    Home: VBA 4TB (2.5)>LMS 7.9.2>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (ethernet, Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>LMS 7.9.2>Squeezelite
    The Wild (no internet): PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

If it wasn't too big of a radio station you can be quite sure that the machine used there was a ReVox, either an A77 or a B77.
    It could have been a TEAC, but TEAC never really made any editing decks. It probably was a Tascam then (Sort of "Teac Pro" machinerie).
    If it was a really very heavy (more than 50 kilo's) machine with pancakes, it probably was something entirely different.

Was the front made out of metal? And did the editing block come as stock, or was it added later on? Did it include a cutting knife or just a 'tape gutter'?
    Boy I would love to be able to answer all your questions but alas my memory is not that good. However I do believe that the editing decks were indeed ReVox units and there may have even been a Tascam as well. What I do remember of the editing blocks is that they were stock, i.e. built into the tape deck, and we used a trusty razor blade to cut the tape. The editing block did have several different guide slots in it (straight and 45 degrees - left and right).
    Last.fm

Recorders with stock multi-angle guide slots... Might take some time to figure this one out, haha.
    The ReVox B77 and PR99 both had a built in cutter, the A77 had a tapecut-guide, but no (angled) cutting slots.
    If you can think of any other details I don't mind trying to find out which machine it was/were.

What studio was it, anyway?

My studio is just a hobby project ;-)

and then there's the attic...

Glad I have the space to store all this!
    No Squeezeboxes there though. So let's get back ontopic :-D

Recorders with stock multi-angle guide slots... Might take some time to figure this one out, haha.
    The ReVox B77 and PR99 both had a built in cutter, the A77 had a tapecut-guide, but no (angled) cutting slots.
    If you can think of any other details I don't mind trying to find out which machine it was/were.

What studio was it, anyway?
    No need to find out what machine it was but thanks for the offer, I only mentioned it because one so rarely sees a good old analog reel to reel tape deck in these digital times For the record, it was WUSB 90.1 FM, the radio station of Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY.
    Last.fm