Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

SlimServer crashes while scanning: Perl interpreter failed

(I am reposting this to reflect new information in the title. I tried editing the title in my earlier post, but it didn't change the title of the thread in the list.)

I have a new installation of SlimServer 6.2 on Windows XP. When I configure it with my music folder and tell it to scan, it runs for a little while and then crashes. The Event Log says 'Perl interpreter failed.'

Some theories:

I installed SlimServer first and started ripping my music to flac. A few days later, I found a Perl script that transcodes a flac-encoded music folder structure to Mp3 (for the iPod). I installed ActivePerl 5.8.7 to provide a runtime for the Perl script (I didn't know SlimServer came with Perl.) Could this be the problem, e.g., is SlimServer running in the ActivePerl runtime, with which it is not compatible?

I also tried to figure out where the server was crashing, but it is ambiguous. Here is the point(s) in my folder structure where it failed:

Artist A
    - Album 1
    Artist B
    - Album 2
    - (missing Album 3) <- did this one cause the failure?
    - (missing Album 4)
    Artist C
    - Album 5
    Artist D
    - (missing Album 6) <- or was it this one?
    (missing Artists E...)

Artist B | Album 3 is classical, so there is lots of punctuation in the song titles, and the song titles are long, etc. But if that caused the failure, why would Artist C | Album 5 have shown up? I see nothing unusual about Artist D | Album 6 that would cause the crash.

Does anyone have any idea?

Does the event log not have more information than just "it failed"? Does it give a line number or a function name in which it failed?

BTW, one red herring dismissed. I have Active State Perl on my machine as well. 5.8.7. It works. They co-exist. So that's unlikely to be the problem.

> Does anyone have any idea?

Random thought... You wouldn't happen to have any playlists that point to non-existing directories? I tried a few times to get 6.x running (from 5.4.1) but it would crash exactly as you describe. I later found that I had a gaggle of M3U playlists that pointed to files in directories that were no longer around. These didn't bother 5.4.1 until I tried to play them (which then crashed the service) but I haven't had time to go back and attempt another 6.x upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelwagner
    Does the event log not have more information than just "it failed"? Does it give a line number or a function name in which it failed?
    No, it simply says 'Perl interpreter failed.' The full message is shown below.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 12/30/2005
    Time: 10:12:35 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: XP-LT
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed.

Quote Originally Posted by bishopdonmiguel
    > Does anyone have any idea?

Random thought... You wouldn't happen to have any playlists that point to non-existing directories? I tried a few times to get 6.x running (from 5.4.1) but it would crash exactly as you describe. I later found that I had a gaggle of M3U playlists that pointed to files in directories that were no longer around. These didn't bother 5.4.1 until I tried to play them (which then crashed the service) but I haven't had time to go back and attempt another 6.x upgrade.
    I don't have any playlists, but thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by veloearl
    No, it simply says 'Perl interpreter failed.' The full message is [snip]
    The following information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed.
    Hmm...never saw that before. I've made mine crash, but it always has enough sense to tell me where or why. So it might be a resource problem.

One thing that Active Perl does is create a bunch of temporary files (all .dlls, for some reason) in a temp directory.
    Are you short of disk space on any of your disks?

Are you running NTFS file system? Is there a permissions problem?

Where are your music files? On a local disk or on a network share? There's a problem with user permissions for network shares in the default installation that needs to be side-stepped.

That's all that occurs to me right away. But I have a cold so I'm not thinking so well today. :-(

Hmm...never saw that before. I've made mine crash, but it always has enough sense to tell me where or why. So it might be a resource problem.

One thing that Active Perl does is create a bunch of temporary files (all .dlls, for some reason) in a temp directory.
    Are you short of disk space on any of your disks?
    Lots of free space...
    Are you running NTFS file system? Is there a permissions problem?

Where are your music files? On a local disk or on a network share? There's a problem with user permissions for network shares in the default installation that needs to be side-stepped.
    I am running NTFS. All of my music is on a local, external volume. The SYSTEM account has full control of the volume, and SlimServer runs under the Local System account. So it seems permissions are OK.

That's all that occurs to me right away. But I have a cold so I'm not thinking so well today. :-(
    Hope you feel better soon.

Nothing jumps out at me ...

You said you're running 6.2
    there's one more digit, that is, is it
    6.2.1 or 6.2.2?

There were some scanning bugs found in 6.2.1 that were fixed in 6.2.2 (the maintainance release).

They were mostly performance related, not crash related, but sometimes bugs manifest themselves in odd ways ... might be worth a try. Do you know how to get 6.2.2?

Other than that, anything seem obvious to anyone else that I'm missing?

Gadfly, Former Founder Slim Devices dean's Avatar

Re: SlimServer crashes while scanning: Perl interpreterfailed

Perl Interpreter Failed is usually a sign that there's something else
    wrong with the system, could be disk errors, memory errors, virus,
    etc... That error means that there was an internal error in perl
    itself.