Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Special characters (accents, etc)

I have two problems through the Squeezebox UI (not with Slimserver as such) with special characters appearing in artist and album names as well as track titles.

1. When browsing artists and scrolling through the list, when I reach the first artist whose names contains a special character (the beloved Bjrk) my Slim.EXE (running as a hidden application not a Windows Service) just stops.

2. I discovered today that it does the same thing when coming to a track name in a playlist containing accented characters. I was happily playing a double various artists album through 2 SB1's sync'd and each time the track "La poupe qui fait non" got cued up the slim application on my PC just stopped again.

I posted seperately once before on the beta forum about this (as I'm running 6.5b1) and saw the log entries generated on the failure which were only produced by my iTunesUpdate plugin - a quick dialog with James Craig identifying that he could fix those messages but not the main failure.

Do I need to do something special to get my setup to manage special/accented characters?

Special characters causes crash.....

I agree completely with this post. I was running slimerver 6.1 on SB1 and SB2. i was having a crash everytime I tried anything from my favourite album (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amlie Poulin by Yann Tiersen) (Amelie Soundtrack). I tried upgrading to 6.5b also but no luck. I even deleted the album and re-ripped it in better quality 320 - no luck again.

Finally I realised that slimserver (I have it running as a service slim.exe) will crash with any accented character. Slim.exe simply disappears from the screen and the browser has nothing to find. I tried logging the error with -d but the crash happens so fast I couldn't catch the report.

Is this problem know? Is it registered as a bug? Is there a work around or fix?

thanks

alex
    example of a song causing a crash:
    "J'y suis jamais all from Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amlie Poulin by Yann Tiersen "

Please clarify the situation for me.

Are the special characters in the file name or in the tagging for the file? Or both?

You gave this example:
    "J'y suis jamais all from Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amlie Poulin by Yann Tiersen "

What is the character after the "n" in Tiersen? Is it a space?

If these are file names, can you create such a file name in windows explorer?

Mine works fine with Sigur Ros, and if that works, I would have to imagine you must have the tags wrong.

Special characters in ?title causes crash

OK, after some experimentation it seems the liability to crash is when the special character is in the song title. For example I have quite a few artists such as Prozzk or Ryksopp or indeed Bjrk which appear to play fine (see above post). I use itunes, and itunes uses the artists as the filing folder but not in the file name which is based on the song.

However, I am having crashes with special characters in title. These are in the id3 tag and I believe in the file as well. For example Shakira [artist] Que Me Quedes T [title] laudrey service [album] appears to cause a crash, I presume because of the "" which can be corrected by renaming the => u. Similarly the above Amelie album causes a crash when the character is is in the song title (Amlie).

Thats about as far as I can get right now. I know there appears to be a work around by removing all special characters - but this isn't very user friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by jhurley
    Do I need to do something special to get my setup to manage special/accented characters?
    No, that shouldn't be necessary.

I was going to search for accents in my collection, but the search box doesn't like accents, for some reason, so I couldn't find any to try out.

But I'm sure I have songs with accents, and they play.

Can both of you describe your setup?
    OS
    Slim version, including subversion (i.e. 6.2.2. 5448)
    are you both using iTunes?
    is this the first version of slim you have run or is this an upgrade from a previous version?

I just played Was Wri Wnn on my SB3 and it worked.

So let's figure out what's different between our systems.

I had this kind of behavior happen to me, see http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2404, which is now fixed, although you may need to pick up a nightly or something to get a version with the fix.

I have a lot of music with odd accents (since I listen to a lot of world music). I don't have problems with non-ascii characters in the id3 tags. I have had problems with non-ascii characters in file names, I've worked around those by removing them.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmitchell
    I am having crashes with special characters in title. These are in the id3 tag and I believe in the file as well. For example Shakira [artist] Que Me Quedes T [title] laudrey service [album] appears to cause a crash, I presume because of the "" which can be corrected by renaming the => u. Similarly the above Amelie album causes a crash when the character is is in the song title (Amlie).
    So just to be sure I've got this straight.

If there is an accent in the file name, for instance,
    Que Me Quedes T.mp3
    that's when it crashes?

If so, can each of you describe your system in more detail:
    what operating system
    where are the files stored (i.e. in a local disk in the same computer, or off on a network device somewhere)

This is starting to sound like a problem with file systems not liking odd characters.

(although, my Was Wri Wnn is called Was Wri Wnn.mp3 on the disk, accents and all, and that worked ....
    but if it's a file system problem, there may be individual allowed and disallowed characters in file system names)
    Last edited by Michaelwagner; 2006-01-02 at 08:17. Reason: added comment about Was Wri Wnn on disk

I have the exact same Shakira album, with the same accents (in both the tags and the filenames) and it works just fine here (Win XP, 6.2.1). One difference is that my file is OGG not MP3, so the tags aren't ID3.