Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Easy Squeezebox option to choose between multiple slimservers?

Is there a way (eg a plugin) to have the squeezebox automatically choose between running slimservers?

I.e. I want to run and use a slimserver instance on an actual PC should that be on, but also another slimserver on a NAS for when the PC isn't on. The squeezebox would poll say every 30 seconds while idle and you would be able to rank the slimservers in order of preference. Would give the best of both worlds - very repsonsive slimserver on a PC if that happens to be on, but still access to slimserver even if it isn't. They would both actually look at the same music library stored on the NAS.

Is there any way to achieve this currently? Would it be useful to others?

Cheers
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova808
    Is there a way (eg a plugin) to have the squeezebox automatically choose between running slimservers?

I.e. I want to run and use a slimserver instance on an actual PC should that be on, but also another slimserver on a NAS for when the PC isn't on. The squeezebox would poll say every 30 seconds while idle and you would be able to rank the slimservers in order of preference. Would give the best of both worlds - very repsonsive slimserver on a PC if that happens to be on, but still access to slimserver even if it isn't. They would both actually look at the same music library stored on the NAS.

Is there any way to achieve this currently? Would it be useful to others?
    I'm sure that a simplified means of switching between servers would be useful for many people. See the following:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2607

Automatic selection of a server would be a little bit different. If it was as easy to switch servers as, say, choosing between Browse Artists and Browse Albums, then it would only offer a small amount of added convenience.

I think ranking them would be very useful, especially for the common situation I desrcibed slimserver both on a PC and a NAS, it could periodically search for the PC to appear again and then auto-reconnect to the PC once available. That way it has some concept of the 'best' slimserver to use at any time.