Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Easy way to re-run network setup?

I have a squeezebox1 with slimserver running on XP.

Is there an easy way to re-run the network setup?

I know I can unplug the power, but that's not easy. Turning the power off and back on doesn't do it, it just starts playing music again.

I'm surprised that I don't see a "Rerun network setup" option under Settings.

The deal is, I'm running two slimservers, and I would like to toggle between them. My new laptop is way faster than my desktop and better performing, but it's not always on...

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Easy way to re-run network setup?

Quoting Mister-E <Mister-E.1ym9eb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
    > I have a squeezebox1 with slimserver running on XP.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to re-run the network setup?

press-and-hold power.

-kdf

Problem with that response

I have a problem with your response, kdf, in that I am using a really cool universal remote (Logitech Harmony 676) which I will give up when they pry it from my cold dead hands. However, it does have one shortcoming in that the "power" toggle for the SB1, which does in fact turn power on and off, does not respond to the "press-and-hold" thing -- it does all commands briefly, no matter if you keep pressing down the power. So, your suggestion is a non-starter for me.

I haven't tried to have the Harmony "learn" the SB1's power button (it was already programmed in), but I have a strong suspicion that it still wouldn't do the "press-and-hold" thing.

And no, I'm not going to keep two remotes around just for this.

What is the problem with putting a "Re-Run Network Setup" under "Settings"? Doesn't that make sense? It's a setting, right? Like, the most fundamental one? In fact, it would be way better to be able to respecify the slimserver, WITHOUT having to re-run the network setup (WEP keys, etc -- what a pain) or at least respecifying the slimserver should be a separate choice, with Wireless/Ethernet setup as another option...

Can you help me out by letting me know why Network Setup should NOT appear under the Setting menu? What was Slim Devices' thought process there? People too stupid or something, they might accidentally re-set-up the network every five minutes?

Cheers,

Re: Easy way to re-run network setup?

My apologies. I thought you were asking how it could be done, so I was
    trying to be helpful and provide that detail.
    I'm surprised that the Harmony remote doesn't resend repeat signals for
    power (which is what triggers the reset if you hold for long enough)

i believe the rational behind requiring the remote is one of security.
    Access to network settings is something that not all users want to be
    available to anyone with web access. Squeezebox 2 has made this a
    little easier by allowing you to press and hold left to go into setup
    without a reset, but this is still a hardware feature. None of the
    players seem to have any hooks for allowing the software to trigger the
    menu. Since the entire player settings menu is controlled by software
    after the player connects, the software would have to trigger the
    reset. I'm sorry this isn't the answer you want, but it is all that
    answer that I'm able to provide.

cheers,
    kdf

Total bummer.

It seems to me that if the players had the hook, then at least a plug-in could be written for those that wanted it, without it being the default behavior. But I guess that's not the case, with any of the players, from your description.

I know I should officially submit a feature request, but for now let's say that I suggest Slim rethinks their position on this issue.

Thanks kdf!

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 18:23 -0800, Mister-E wrote:
    > Total bummer.

Patches always welcome.

> I know I should officially submit a feature request, but for now let's
    > say that I suggest Slim rethinks their position on this issue.

I'm unclear on why you want this ability. Switching
    slimservers seems pretty radical to me.

If your desktop is always running, why not just use it?
    Once the scanning is done, a slimserver doesn't have
    to be on a very fast computer. Memory helps, especially
    with large libraries, but even transcoding doesn't take
    that much CPU.

I never touch the computer than runs my slimserver.
    It is down in the basement, and I rarely even see it.
    I rip on an upstairs computer and just transfer the
    files over the house network.

Isn't there an easier way to do what you want?

--
    Pat
    http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

>
    I have a one-for-all remote that I've used to learn the power button
    code. Holding that resets my players. (I just tested)
    Take that for what it is (my experience), but it might be worth trying
    a learned code instead of a pre-set one.
    There are a lot of functions that you are barred from without the
    button repeats. It seems very odd to me that a remote such as the
    Harmony would not offer some setting to deal with this.

Maybe other users of the Harmony have found ways to accomplish this?
    -k

I use a Harmony remote. I have to say I haven't bothered trying this, but I would imagine you could learn a long repeat of power into a custom key, and stick that on a device menu. The actual power button won't do it, but you can have as many custom commands as you like.

I just keep the real remote in a handy drawer in case I need it. I've never found any universal remote that didn't need the original once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell
    On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 18:23 -0800, Mister-E wrote:
    > Total bummer.

Patches always welcome.

> I know I should officially submit a feature request, but for now let's
    > say that I suggest Slim rethinks their position on this issue.

I'm unclear on why you want this ability. Switching
    slimservers seems pretty radical to me.
    Well... Radical? I don't think so. Certainly 90% of the people don't want to switch Slimservers, but then Slim Devices has made a business out of doing what 90% of the people DON'T want to do, no?

-- My library is in constant flux. I'm adding new music all the time, or moving music to my "archives" folder (which Slim doesn't support -- how about a special music-folder browse (not cached) for seldom-used music, music that's not officially included under "All Artists", e.g.? Yet Another Wish List Item...

-- It IS a pain in the butt to keep the computers in sync. My laptop is the most likely target for acquiring new music (and let's just not say anything more about that, shall we?), and transferring new music to my stable, always-on desktop DOES take time, even over a decent wireless network (which would be a fast G network except for when my B-device SqueezeBox1 slows things down...)

-- Not to mention the fact that SlimServer is an utter, bloated, waddling pig when it comes to rescanning a large library, at least on my 2.4 GHz P4 with a 7200 RPM Ultra-ATA/133 hard drive/16 MB cache. Takes at least ten minutes to rescan my library (a mere 2861 track, not including my "Archives" folder), at full blazing CPU, which kills everything else, including playing music. (Compare that to, say, my favorite music manager, Muzicman, which is a REAL DATABASE for music, no foolin', and it takes about 15 *SECONDS* to scan the entire database and add new music. Take *that*, Slimserver.) So, long story short, slinging music around a network, at least when SlimServer is involved, is a pain in the ASS.

-- Firstly, though, let's point out that Slimserver on the laptop is an advantageous thing, so I can use it to listen to music on the road via Softsqueeze, not to mention Internet Radio, etc. Of course I could throw uniformity in the trash can, and use Winamp for Internet music, and Muzicman for MP3's, on my laptop, but we like uniformity, don't we?

So, long story short, when I come home with 10 new CD's on my laptop, if I want to listen to them, you're asking me to copy them all over the network, then initialize a (bloated, painfully-slow, time-consuming, everything-killing) SlimServer music scan on my desktop, THEN I can listen to them, as opposed to (a) switching my Squeezebox to a different, fully-synced, ready-to-go server, and just listening...

...Hmmmmm... doesn't really sound that radical to me. At all.

Also, allowing switching between multiple slimservers would make a nifty way to switch between husband's/wife's/children's music libraries. Of course, if Slim Devices had any clue that there are often multiple computers in a household, with multiple people wanting to listen to different libraries of music, then we might stand a chance. But maybe Squeezebox is the music streamer for single loners? Sitting home alone with your Linux box? How sad.

Mr E

One thing that's been talked about in the past has been to password protect the setup section of the Squeezebox to keep unwanted folks out. If that were done I'd see no reason that a server selection option couldn't then be placed there. I agree that ideally, you don't want to walk through the network setup all over again just to select a server. Ideally you'd be able just select from a list of servers that the Squeezebox sees on the network.

I wonder, though, since you have a SB1, if there will be any significant changes to the SB1 firmware in the future. From what I can tell, it seems that all development for the older devices has ceased.