Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Getting Smartserver to see my iTunes playlists

I have to believe this has been asked before but I can't find an answer anywhere. I just installed my SlimServer and imported all my music (except the stuff that I bought from Apple in iTunes 6, but that's a whole different problem). Everything is working great but I can't see a single of my playlists (smart or otherwise) from iTunes. I have hte iTunes configuration, it seems to have found my library file and it seems to have picked up my music directory, just no play lists. Today I downloaded and installed the newest version of Slimserver, 6.2.1 but it didn't fix the problem.

The only thing that I can think of that is weird about my install is that iTunes itself is installed on my C drive and the music files are in a different directory on the C drive. For some reason my library files are in my My Music folder on my D drive though. Not sure why that would be a problem. Slimserver seemed to detect it all correctly and insert the right paths into the server configuration. However, I'm also not sure where iTunes stores the playlist information itself, I don't have a playlists folder or xml file, I'm assuming its in the library file itself.

Any ideas? Other than the DRM issue with iTunes 6, this is my only issue with my new acquisition.

Thanks,

Have you set....

Server Settings | iTunes | iTunes Playlist Format

I tried leaving this blank the other day and it ignored all of my itunes playlists. I put something back in the prefix and all was well again.

SlimServer Version: 6.5b1 - 5073 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
    iTunes 6.0.1.3

BTW, I wouldn't go near anymore iTunes music, or any other of that ilk until somebody with a modicum of common sense addresses the multi-device DRM issues and applies a pricing strategy that reflects real costs and not music distributors greed.

GBP 7.99 for a real CD in my local bricks and mortar supermarket that has been burned, packaged, distributed, delivered and sold by actual people or GBP 7.90 via iTunes with little or no actual packaging or distribution costs. Hmmmm.
    Last edited by jhurley; 2005-11-15 at 18:29.

Thanks for the info. I have iTunes: in the prefix field of the Playlist Format and nothing in the suffix field. I've tried with both populated and it doesn't hep.

I notice that I'm running a different version of slimserver, you're on a Beta and I'm on the latest release version (6.2.1). Does anyone know if this is a known bug in 6.2.1 that has since been fixed?

As to buying music from Apple, you're absolutely correct. I usually use it to buy individual songs, not whole albums as the album price isn't worth it at all. Now with the new DRM in v6 there is no way I'm buying a thing. Man was I pissed off when I loaded up my slimserver and figured that one out.

Craig, James (IT)

Re: Getting Smartserver to see my iTunes playlists

> I have the iTunes configuration, it seems to have found my library
    file and it
    > seems to have picked up my music directory, just no play lists.

So the 'use itunes' option is visible and enabled in the SlimServer
    settings page?

I was going to say 6.2.1 is working fine for me,
    but I haven't actually checked for the existence of my playlists since
    the last upgrade.

James
    --------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

Not working for me either

I am having the same problem. I just installed "SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252" and it found my iTunes XML file but it does not list any of my playlists. I am running iTunes version 6.0.0.18.

In my case, the MP3s are in C:\MP3\ but the XML file is located in the default C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\

Does anyone have this working? Santa is bringing my Squeezebox in a couple days and I'm going to need my playlists. I have spent the last two years building a lot of smart playlists and I'd be lost without them.

I had this issue to. Playlists were there, then they weren't. I fixed it, but I'm not sure what did it. I suggest having SS set up so it detects iTunes location automatically. In the end, I uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled and it worked. Ensure that you export your library first so you retain your playlists.

Dan
    Ballwin, MO

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!

I have spent the last 24 hours trying to get Slimserver to see the many play lists that I have created in iTunes and I’m not having any luck. I have reinstalled Slimserver several times, moved my iTunes library, reimported my library into iTunes but nothing seems to work.

This is maddening. Can anyone help? I see several messages referencing this same problem but I don't see a solution.

My current configuration is:

iTunes
    1) Version 6.0.0.18
    2) Library location
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl
    3) MP3 location
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\
    4) Keep iTunes Folder Organized - YES
    5) Copy files to iTunes Music Folder - YES

Slimserver
    1) Version ”6.2.1 - 5194 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252”
    2) Music Folder - blank (none specified)
    3) Playlist folder - C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes
    4) iTunes setting - USE iTunes
    5) Find iTunes Library Automatically
    6) iTunes Library Location:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml
    7) iTunes Music Folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music
    8) iTunes Playlist format - Prefix "iTunes:"

Same here - not able to see my playlists no matter what I try, and my settings are similar to yours!

Another person who isn't seeing playlists

I have the same problem. My iTunes music library is in the normal place, i.e., ~Music/iTunes/...

I'm using SlimServer 6.2.2. (I had the same problem with SlimServer 6.2.1)

Help?

Re: Getting Smartserver to see my iTunes playlists

On 26 Dec 2005, at 21:07 , coyotl wrote:

>
    > I have the same problem. My iTunes music library is in the normal
    > place, i.e., ~Music/iTunes/...
    >
    > I'm using SlimServer 6.2.2. (I had the same problem with SlimServer
    > 6.2.1)
    >
    > Help?

That should be:

~/Music/iTunes/...

~Music means something completely different.