Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Soon-to-be user, getting worried!

A few months ago, I bought a DSM-320... big mistake! It just doesn't do lots of things that I really want, with lack of on-the-fly playlists and gaps between tracks being the main bugbears.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I found out about Softsqueeze, and downloaded it (v. 2.01b11) and SlimServer 6.1.1. This seemed to do pretty much all that I wanted, bar a minor problem that some tracks were duplicated in the DB (which I managed to work around by editing some playlists and removing one that remained incomprehensibly stubborn). And *just* before I put an order in, the SB3 came out - phew! So now I have one on order (black wireless, from dabs.com, hopefully any day now, though it's always disturbing when a "1-2 days" lead time changes to "soon"...)

Yesterday, I upgraded SlimServer to 6.2.0, and SoftSqueeze to 2.2 ... only to find that SlimServer now dies at some point whilst scanning My Music, and never finds more than about 1/2 my collection. This also stops the server from starting automatically, though it starts OK manually - at least until the next rescan, when it will die, leaving SoftSqueeze to splutter out mid-song. (I don't use iTunes, btw, which seems to be implicated in most reports of scan crashes that I've found. I have a mix of 5600 mp3 and wma files, and m3u and wpl playlists.)
    So I reverted to 6.1.1 - only to find now that SoftSqueeze 2.2 doesn't seem to work with it: the console lists an error beginning:

10 [SlimTCP-1] ERROR slimproto - Exception processing frame
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Requested value 75.76903 exceeds allowable maximum value 6.0206.
    at javax.sound.sampled.FloatControl.setValue(Unknown Source)

(Um, that's quite an overflow!)
    This happens for several different tracks / playlists at least, so it's not just one dodgy file. It's possible this has nothing to do with SlimServer, but it's a suspicious coincidence.

Now I'm worried that when the SB3 arrives I'll have to use a version of SlimServer that definitely doesn't work for me! (And believe me, after all the "fun" I've had with the DSM-320, I'm really not in the mood for more faffing around!)

So: is this scan failure in 6.2.0 a known problem, and if so is there a later version of SlimServer in which it's fixed? If not, can the SB3 be served from 6.1.1?

You can try the newest 6.2.1 (which hasn't had an official release yet).
    This is at http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

I believe the official 6.2.1 is coming soon, although the current dev release already has many bug fixes that may sort out your problems.

Smile

I just recieved a couple of SB3s from Dabs (in white - couldn't wait for the black ones! Once they're in place you can't really see the white/black cover anyway....)

I had been playing with the beta 6.5s for a while with SoftSqueeze to get the hang of it all. For the 'live' installation I uninstalled that and used the latest build of 6.2.1 (I'm on Linux). You can uninstall SoftSqueeze through add/remove programs in Windows control panel by the way.

All I can say is.... you'll love it !

Andy.

I'm pretty sure I read on the forum that 6.1.1 does support the
    SB3. You might want to check the official pinned SB3 release
    topic.

Quote Originally Posted by jth
    I'm pretty sure I read on the forum that 6.1.1 does support the
    SB3. You might want to check the official pinned SB3 release
    topic.
    Indeed it does, you can run SB3 with 6.1.1.

Don't worry about SB3!

Brian,

My SB3 arrived yesterday and I have to admit that setting it up was a real pain, but now it's working, I have to say that it is a fantastic piece of equipment and worth the effort it took to set it up.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the SB3 once it's set up and streaming for you.

Colin

P.S. I got the SB3 to start to work on the slimserver 6.1.1, but upgraded to 6.2.0 shortly after, so it's a pretty flexible piece of equipment.

I just hope you remember to come back and tell us what a trouble free, easy installation you had.

Posting about issues before they happen is a first for me.... Still, it will make it even sweeter when it just works.. (he says with his fingers crossed).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I just hope you remember to come back and tell us what a trouble free, easy installation you had.

Posting about issues before they happen is a first for me.... Still, it will make it even sweeter when it just works.. (he says with his fingers crossed).
    My view is that there's definitely an issue "already happening" with SlimServer. I'm expecting the SB3 to work OK; but since the server's not working properly, will there be anything worthwhile for it to talk to? If SlimDevices promote SoftSqueeze as a try-before-you-buy approach, then it seems reasonable to worry about the "real thing" if I can't get the latest SoftSqueeze to work in combination with a working SlimServer.

I'd made my decision to purchase the SB3 based on my first installation of SoftSqueeze and SlimServer, and am concerned that the newest (official) release of SlimServer doesn't work for me, and that the latest 'squeeze didn't seem to want to talk to the earlier (working) server. If I hadn't already ordered an SB3, this would have put me off, at least until I was convinced that there was a newer version of SlimServer that would work. (Remember, I've been burned by problems with the DSM-320, including some on the (twonky) server side.) On the other hand, I'm not so worried to make me cancel my order!

Hearing that SB3 and SS 6.1.1 should work is encouraging, but I'd hope to be able to use something newer than 6.1.1 sometime soon.

I'm using SoftSqueeze on a laptop, SlimServer on a desktop, over our wireless network, and have no problems on that score. (Well, except that the 'squeeze config uses the IP address of the server, and (since our network uses dynamic assignment) that sometimes changes... maybe I need (Home) Network Admin 101?)

The peskiest bit of setup is probably going to be feeding the WEP key to the SB3, but it's inevitable, and I'm used to doing that now!

I will certainly report back on my experiences, even if they're positive :-)

Brian,

you mention that you reverted Slimserver to 6.1.1 but you are still using a version of Softsqueeze2.2 which is tailored specifically to 6.2

That makes me think that you did not do a full uninstall of 6.2 before putting 6.1.1 back in place. Am I correct?

You now have a mess ;-)

I would recommend doing a full uninstall of 6.1.1 through control panel. Stop the slimserver service & close down the Slimtray app. Then go to c:\program files and delete the Slimserver directory if it's still there. You will have lost your Db & settings, but your system will be clean.

Now install 6.2.1.

If you are still having problems doing a scan of your music library, you can enable various debugging options to see where the scan is failing. That would be the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ritchie

I'm using SoftSqueeze on a laptop, SlimServer on a desktop, over our wireless network, and have no problems on that score. (Well, except that the 'squeeze config uses the IP address of the server, and (since our network uses dynamic assignment) that sometimes changes... maybe I need (Home) Network Admin 101?)
    You can workaround this by assigning a "name" to the server under Win XP Control Panel->System->Computer Name Tab->Change Button. Call it something like "Server".

Using this example, in the Softsqueeze config input on the basic tab "server:9000" (minus quotes).

Many routers also allow the assignment of static IP addresses to LAN clients, essentially defeating DHCP for the specified client's mac address. Static IP can also be done by manually editing the TCP/IP settings of the relevant client's network card, but would probably be a bit more in depth for someone not familiar with how to do it.

Cheers,
    -m