Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Various Artists/Composer

Since trying out 6.2 I've been having a strange problem. A good number of my albums are falling into the Various Artists category. I think I've tracked down the difference with the albums displaying this problem:

BTW, I'm using iTunes (not sure if it matters)

If a tag has a "composer" matching the "artist name", SlimServer seems to not list an artist tag. The whole album is then marked as a compilation which gets it thrown into the Various Artists category. Opening iTunes after scanning is complete triggers SlimServer to look for changes again, which adds the missing artist name to the above mentioned tracks. However, the album is still marked as a compilation. Before bug 2231 was fixed, the artist's name would keep getting appended multiple times everytime iTunes was opened.

If I monitor the artists list as the clear/rescan is in progress, everything is built perfectly until right before scanning ends. I imagine the problem lies in some post processing that is being done.

Any ideas?

Craig, James (IT)

Various Artists/Composer

eMajor,
    I raised a bug for this last week and Dan has already fixed it. Try the
    latest 6.2...

James
    --------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig, James (IT)
    eMajor,
    I raised a bug for this last week and Dan has already fixed it. Try the
    latest 6.2...
    thanks craig, with svn 4621 the artists name being added multiple times seems to be resolved, but on a clear/rescan i'm still seeing no artist name (only band) with tracks that have the matching artist name in the composer field. subsequent "look for new and changed music" scans do add the artist name to these tracks and only one time, which is good.

the problem is, if some tracks in the album had no artist on the first scan (and others do), they're being marked as compilations and rescans don't seem to change that even though the artist name is being added.

btw, i disabled itunes, and my library looks perfect now!
    Last edited by eMajor; 2005-10-17 at 07:07.

Craig, James (IT)

Re: Various Artists/Composer

Can you add comments to the bug for Dan to see?

I've not observed this myself yet, but I cleared out a lot of my
    composer tags!

James
    --------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

still seeing a problem

With 6.2.0 (svn 4753), I'm still seeing a problem with the tracks improperly being catergorized as "Various Artists".

I've stopped using iTunes and the problem still exists. I've narrowed it down to the case where a track contains the artists name in the Composer field ALONG with any other composer name.

If leave the "Multiple Items In Tags" blank so the names dont get parsed out individually, the problems goes away and the artist remains the original artist. If composers get parsed out individually and a composer name matches the artist name, then the track is marked as Various Artist and the whole album gets throw into that category.

I've opened a new bug (2392): http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2392
    Last edited by eMajor; 2005-10-27 at 06:31.

Various Artists/Composer

* eMajor shaped the electrons to say...

>With 6.2.0 (svn 4753), I'm still seeing a problem with the tracks
    >improperly being catergorized as "Various Artists".

Please email me (dan | at | slimdevices.com) one of the tracks in question.

Thanks.

-D
    --
    <dr.pox> do they call it 'gq' because it makes your text fashionable?

attached to bug

Hi Dan - I've attached it to the bug report (2392): http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2392

Thanks!