Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

install bug -- print dialog opens?

I've been a satisfied slim server / squeezebox user for over a year now. Tonight I upgraded to 6.1.1 - 3774 on my Win XP pro desktop. The first time I did this, I did not uninstall the old version before installing the new version.The install seemed to complete normally, and icons were installed in my task bar and quick launch area.

When I move the curser to the ss icon in the task bar, I get a "slim server running" tooltip. If I click on the icon, I get the appropriate menu. If I ask to "open slimserver", after a short delay a print dialog box opens. I've tried allowing it to print, and it seems to be printing two files, the first called:
    res://C:\WINNT\system32\shdoclc.dll/home.html?player=00%3A04%3A20%3A05%3A92%3A48
    the second called:
    res://C:\WINNT\system32\shdoclc.dll/status_header.html?player=00%3A04%3A20%3A05%3A92%3 A48

It is possible that it might be trying to print additional files as well.

I have since tried uninstalling and reinstalling the server, with the same results.

While I am unable to open the UI for the server using the quick start, task bar or even program listing icons, I can access it using the //localhost:9000 address and the server appears to be functioning properly.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Is it possible that somehow you have managed to associate HTML files with printing on your system? To test this, find a random html file (there will be plenty in your explorer cache, if you don't have any of your own) and double click. Your default browser should open up - but if the print dialog comes up instead then this will be your problem.

Ceejay

Task Bar App Still Trying to Print Instead of Opening SS

Good thought, but definitely not the problem. I took your suggestion and had no problem opening HTML files saved on my hard drive.

I did some more testing, and have determined that the problem is with the monitor app that runs in the task bar. If I close that app and then try to open SS from the quick launch bar, it opens a browser properly and opens the SS page.

If I try to open SS while that monitor app is running, then it tries to print a bunch of stuff as described above.

Any other support ideas, or should I abandon this version of SS?

Try this

I had the same problem and this worked for me:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/internetshortcut.htm

-Shane

thanks!

Shane,

Thanks! It worked. I'd love the explanation as to how the SHDOCVW library got unregistered in the first place!

Best regards,

Adam

No problem. Glad I could help.

I just blame these type of errors on Microsoft .

-Shane