Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Anyone using a Shigaraki or Progession DAC?

Call me intrigued. I'm wondering how these (and generally speaking, non-oversampling DACs) behave when hooked up to the SB2.

Hi,

I use a non-oversampling DAC with my SB1 and love it. The DAC produces a very natural sound, not a million miles away from my vinyl setup, without the artifice of something like the little Musical Fatality DAC.

Regards,

Stuart.

I just received my NOS DAC today, which is made by Derek Shek out of Hong Kong. I got it on eBay. I'm going to try it out tonight. I was really interested to see for myself what all the hype over these non-oversampling DAC's is all about.

I enjoy my non-os dacs with my squeezeboxes. I have not had the opportunity to compare my dacs to something like Benchmark DAC-1, but I am very pleased with the sound I get today. I like the philosophy behind the non-os dacs, as well as the fact that you can try decent ones out for reasonable sums of money.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ezkcdude
    I just received my NOS DAC today, which is made by Derek Shek out of Hong Kong. I got it on eBay. I'm going to try it out tonight. I was really interested to see for myself what all the hype over these non-oversampling DAC's is all about.

so why should a non oversampling DAC sound better? and if it does why does anyone bother making oversampling ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Mason
    Hi,

I use a non-oversampling DAC with my SB1 and love it. The DAC produces a very natural sound, not a million miles away from my vinyl setup, without the artifice of something like the little Musical Fatality DAC.

Regards,

Stuart.
    What's natural about HiFi! :-)

I have a Musical Fidelity DAC and like it - it's good value for money. I'd never claim that any of my gear is natural though - it generates a sound that is pleasing to my ears is the best you could say.

I suppose if you do listen to purely natural sound recordings then you could claim that, but I haven't heard many new groups running free in their natural environment to be able to say whether it's good or not :-) I did see the Sex Pistols and the Clash a few times and they aren't natural on vinyl, I assure you! The thought of Mr Lydon running carefree in the Sarenghetti does present an interesting thought though.

Joking aside, is being close to vinyl ideal or have our ears just got tuned to that sound as being right? I have a Pink Triangle setup and often think it sounds smoother and more cohesive, but is that because my ears have got trained to a smoother presentation?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CardinalFang
    Pace, Rhythm, And Timing.

Quote Originally Posted by CardinalFang

I have a Musical Fidelity DAC and like it - it's good value for money. I'd never claim that any of my gear is natural though - it generates a sound that is pleasing to my ears is the best you could say.

I suppose if you do listen to purely natural sound recordings then you could claim that, but I haven't heard many new groups running free in their natural environment to be able to say whether it's good or not :-) I did see the Sex Pistols and the Clash a few times and they aren't natural on vinyl, I assure you! The thought of Mr Lydon running carefree in the Sarenghetti does present an interesting thought though.

Joking aside, is being close to vinyl ideal or have our ears just got tuned to that sound as being right? I have a Pink Triangle setup and often think it sounds smoother and more cohesive, but is that because my ears have got trained to a smoother presentation?

Paul
    I find the image of that arrogant and sarcastic primo don Johnny Lydon sprinting at top speed with a leopard nipping at his bum quite amusing.
    Jon Heal says:
    Have a nice day!
    http://www.theheals.org/
    ~~~
    SB3 (wired - 6.3.1) | DELL OptiPlex PC running XP Pro | DENON DRA-397 | PSB Stratus Bronze (2) | Outlaw Audio LFM-2 (1) | DIY Speaker Cables | Dayton Audio Interconnects

Well this seems like an excellent opportunity to make an ass out of myself again

Quote Originally Posted by montechristo
    so why should a non oversampling DAC sound better?
    Possibly because they don't require as much digital filtering.

Quote Originally Posted by montechristo
    and if it does why does anyone bother making oversampling ones?
    System variables. A rolloff at 20KHz might sound good to someone using bright or shouty speakers, but might kill someone elses ribbon tweeters with unfiltered high frequencies.

(all conjectured opinion on my part)

Also, apparently, the NOS folks believe that both our ears and the speakers act essentially as natural filters (interpolators?), and that there is no need for digital or analog filtering. Basically, as I understand it, the values from the chip are directly translated to voltages, so that if you measured the signal it would actually look like a stair-step pattern, as opposed to smooth. I don't know much about audio engineering, but I do know quite a lot about the pitfalls of interpolation and smoothing in imaging and statistics. So, part of me at least is sympathetic with the NOS idea. I think we can make an analogy to the realm of video processing here, where we don't really have this oversampling concept. Video sources just display a discrete number of frames, and the sequence appears to have smooth motion; same idea with a flipbook. I know there are other reasons for oversampling, but I think those drop out, once the filters are removed from the equation.