Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

wired vs. wireless version of SB2

Are there any audible differences between the wired and wireless versions of the SB2? Does the wireless version, when used with a wired connection, have more going on inside that interferes with the audio signal? I will be hooking the SB2 up to my main system using a wired connection, but would like the convenience of the wireless version for connecting to the new SqueezeNetwork. Thanks for the info.

Please check the forum before asking, there's a big thread dedicated to the subject just a couple of posts down. Basic summary: no, there's no real reason why there should be any difference, and no-one has been able to detect a difference using blind tests.

Quote Originally Posted by jarquest
    Are there any audible differences between the wired and wireless versions of the SB2? Does the wireless version, when used with a wired connection, have more going on inside that interferes with the audio signal? I will be hooking the SB2 up to my main system using a wired connection, but would like the convenience of the wireless version for connecting to the new SqueezeNetwork. Thanks for the info.
    Bits are Bits they either make it or dont.

As long as you have enough Bandwidth on the wireless to support the stream then it will be exactly like wired. One thing though make sure in your server config that you have it set to "No Limit" if using FLAC or other non-mp3 codec (this may not be needed with a SQ2, but with SQ1 it is).

Now for interfernce, yes I guess it is REMOTELY possible that the RF from the wifi could degrade the ANALOG signal, but it would not affect the digital.

I did check the forum first, but unfortunately you've answered the wrong question. My apologies for not being clear. I'm not asking whether 802.11b vs. wired Ethernet are different -- I know the answer to that question and it is addressed in the forum. I'm curious if the *version* of the SB2 that has a built in wireless capability has any audible differences from the *version* of the SB2 that does not have the built in wireless capability (they sell both). "Bits are bits," but "signal paths are signal paths" isn't quite so true. I was curious whether the added functionality in the wireless version of the SB2 introduces any interference that negatively affects the sound. Thanks to those who might have some information about this.

No, I did not build nor seen schematics to the SB, however I am willing to bet the TCP/IP signal path is quite seperate from the audio signal path.

I understand "audiophiles" believe that they can hear a transistor breath (just kidding). If you are that concerned about the audio quality then I would assume you would be using an external DAC which if properly sheilded would be immune to any stray RF.

I'm not quite in the "hear a transistor breath" camp (not yet, at least :-), I just figured I would ask in case there were any generally recognized differences between the two versions. Thanks for the thoughts.