Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Just working out what's needed for a Transporter

Hi, First post and all that, so hello!

I'm going to add a transporter to a fairly hi spec naim Hi Fi system in place of my CD player. I'll be streaming the data to it (max 8 metres through suspended wooden floor and plaster ceiling) from a eMac via an Airport Extreme card 11g / Extreme base station (saved in Apple Lossless).

I'm assuming that all sounds right??? let me know if it doesn't please!

My questions are:

1) Has anybody experienced any interference with their amps either with the wireless connections or the placement of the transporter itself?

2) Does streaming the music reduce sound quality?

Cheers, nitrous

Quote Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
    I'm assuming that all sounds right??? let me know if it doesn't please!
    The double wireless hop may or may not cause you issues, depending on the local environment w.r.t. wireless. It's usually recommended to physically connect the server and the router for reliability, but it's not always needed. Just something to be aware of if you run into problems.

1) Has anybody experienced any interference with their amps either with the wireless connections or the placement of the transporter itself?
    Not that I've heard of.

No.

Wireless connections have not been shown to cause EMI on interconnects, etc. Of course you have the space cadet crowd who fervently believe this, but some also believe that magic pebbles will make equipment sound better.

In regards to the Transporter itself causing interference, it's extremely unlikely. The only possible source of interference is the power supply, and the Transporter has an extremely low noise super regulated power supply. You may find some threads related to the Squeezebox and interference from its power supply, but that's a wall-wart switching supply. The Transporter is completely different than the SB in this regard.

On these type of devices, you're transmitting a file via 802.11g wirelessly from computer to (simple) computer. It's 100% digital and 100% bit-perfect. So it's not possible to degrade the sound quality - otherwise it wouldn't be bit-perfect. The easiest way to prove that the SB and TP are bit-perfect is to use a DTS or Dolby Digital-encoded file. If you connect a decoder digitally to the Transporter's output, it will correctly decode the DTS/DD. This wouldn't be possible if there were bit errors.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Radish / Mark, Ok thanks for replies, so it sounds as if I should be fine with my plan.

I may post a question in the audiophile bit to see how people are rating the pure sound quality against a dedicated CD transport.

thanks for help.

nitrous

Smile

Radish / Mark, Ok thanks for replies, so it sounds as if I should be fine with my plan.
    I may post a question in the audiophile bit to see how people are rating the pure sound quality against a dedicated CD transport.
    thanks for help.
    nitrous
    Not sure what Naim setup you're using (see sig below for mine) but I'd be surprised if you're disappointed by sound quality. I've been a Naim user for 10+ years and even my humble SB3 + DacMagic is NEARLY as good as my old CDX/XPS.

Convenience more than makes up for the gap, but then I do occasionally feel the need to dust off a bit of vinyl for that true hands-on audience-participation feel. Actually - it's usually becuase I don't have a digital copy of the album in question. . .

Now donning flame-proof kecks etc. etc. ...

Graeme
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it ...
    Server = iMac -> Bootcamp -> W10 (dBpoweramp ripping / MediaMonkey management)
    Router = Huawei B310 LTE 4G + repeaters
    Lounge = SBT -> Devialet D200 -> Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII
    Covered terrace = SBT -> AudioEngine A5+
    Kitchen + bedroom = SB Radio
    Garage = SB2 -> Rotel RA820BX2 -> MA252
    Storage = SB Boom + SB3 + SlimP3
    iOS control = iPeng / SqueezePad; Android = SqueezeCommander;

Smile

Hi Graeme, thanks for that input I was originally 'just' going to buy the SB, but decided since I was going to be buying a CD5x that I may as well get the transporter!

I have never got on with CD's and joked 20 odd years ago that I would skip them and 'go to the next new thing'

I've owned a Linn/naim system since 1990 and it has slowly progressed, so time to add some 21st century bits me think!

nitrous