Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Squeezer: open source Android Squeezeserver remote control

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum. I'm one of the primary developers of Squeezer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.ngo.squeezer), an open source Android Squeezeserver remote control. Happy to take any questions or comments in this thread.

Edited to add: If anyone is interested in receiving beta versions of Squeezer ahead of the normal release, here's how you sign up.

1. Join the Squeezer Beta tester community on Google+, at https://plus.google.com/communities/...08948545556562.

2. Once you've joined you should see an opt-in link at https://play.google.com/apps/testing...g.ngo.squeezer. Go there and opt-in to become a tester, and you'll receive beta versions of the app (basically, release candidates for the next release).

Best, N
    Last edited by nikclayton; 2014-08-03 at 05:51.

Just installed it, thx. Will try it over weekend and provide feedback. At first glance it doesn't seem to support all the new browse modes supported by LMS 7.9 e.g. Album Artists.
    puddletag - now packaged in most Linux distributions.

Installed on my Samsung ICS phone. If I'm listening to an album and want to hear another one by the same artist, or same genre, or same year, how do I easily do that? I.e. what is the equivalent of the (+) button on Radio/Touch? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Installed on my Samsung ICS phone. If I'm listening to an album and want to hear another one by the same artist, or same genre, or same year, how do I easily do that? I.e. what is the equivalent of the (+) button on Radio/Touch? Thanks.
    Thanks for the feedback.

From the Now Playing screen, tap the disclosure triangle (right hand side, above the track progress indicator), to see:

- Songs on the same album
    - Albums that contain songs by this artist
    - All songs by this artist

"All songs in this genre", or "All songs from this year" are not currently supported, but would be relatively straightforward to implement I think. If that's something you'd like can you file a feature request at https://code.google.com/p/android-squeezer/issues/list? Especially if you've got any ideas about how to make the feature more obvious.

Upcoming features

As an FYI -- here's the changes coming up in the next version:

* Support for "My Apps" installed via mysqueezebox.com.

* Show the current player name in the Action Bar at the top of the screen, with a drop-down menu allowing you to easily switch between players.

* Enhance the display of available players. You can now rename a player, adjust the volume, set a sleep duration, and power on/off players directly from the list.

* Support downloading all songs by album, artist, genre, year, or music folder. This uses features only available in Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and above.

* Integration with SqueezePlayer (http://www.squeezeplayer.com/). Squeezer can automatically start SqueezePlayer when Squeezer is started.

* A grid layout when viewing the song list on larger devices

* When viewing albums containing songs by a searched-for artist, filter the list of displayed songs to show those by that artist. Fixes https://code.google.com/p/android-sq...s/detail?id=51.

* Internal restructuring to make Squeezer faster and use less memory.

* Fixed a bug where Squeezer was forgetting the active player.

* Fixed a bug where Squeezer was not updating the power status of a powered-off player.

Quote Originally Posted by nikclayton View Post
    From the Now Playing screen, tap the disclosure triangle (right hand side, above the track progress indicator)
    Ok, that's it. Screen on my phone is too small (240 x 320 px) to see these controls in portrait but they are there in landscape.

Thank you for sharing this app to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikclayton View Post
    From the Now Playing screen, tap the disclosure triangle (right hand side, above the track progress indicator), to see:

- Songs on the same album
    - Albums that contain songs by this artist
    - All songs by this artist
    I've installed on my Samsung Galaxy S5 it works nicely, but it can always better after the updates.
    Well in the Now Playing Screen the artists&songs aren't updated if the next song is playing from online audiostream.
    But when the S5 is changing from WiFi to 3G net, and turned back to WiFi only then the NPS is updated, is this normal?
    Thank you this fine app.

I've been using it for quite a while, and quite like it.
    Some suggestions for improvement:
    - When switching to the playlist, the focus is on the first track, and not on the one currently playing. This is rather annoying when using long playlists, as I have to scroll down hundreds of entries.
    - Cover images are not cached (e.g. switch to new music, wait for images, exit, switch to new music again, images are loaded again), caching in memory (or even better persisting them to a local db) would significantly improve performance.
    - No plugin support: I've seen the thread about apps, however, there are a lot more plugins available than apps. Having the plugin menu, and the plugin context menus for artists/albums/tracks would be great.
    Various SW: Web Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Ok, that's it. Screen on my phone is too small (240 x 320 px) to see these controls in portrait but they are there in landscape.
    Ah. What device is that, so I can add it to my testing set?

Quote Originally Posted by Henk51 View Post
    Well in the Now Playing Screen the artists&songs aren't updated if the next song is playing from online audiostream.
    That's a bug, fixed with https://github.com/nikclayton/androi...acac9fcde63c74, and will be in the next release.

But when the S5 is changing from WiFi to 3G net, and turned back to WiFi only then the NPS is updated, is this normal?
    Is that a different problem, or related to the first one?