Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Loosing path to music folders

I am using slim server 6.0.1 - 2895 and I keep my music folders on an external iomega 160 go hard drives.

I have noticed two strange behaviours :

1) Despite proper configuration, the server is not activated automatically when I start my XP (SP2) computer.

2) The server is loosing the path to my iomega hard drive, even if the hard drive is switched on before the computer and I have to enter it manually. It is a little bit annoying, not really for me, but for the rest of the familly.

Have you heard about similar problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by dominique.roland
    I am using slim server 6.0.1 - 2895 and I keep my music folders on an external iomega 160 go hard drives.

I have noticed two strange behaviours :

1) Despite proper configuration, the server is not activated automatically when I start my XP (SP2) computer.

2) The server is loosing the path to my iomega hard drive, even if the hard drive is switched on before the computer and I have to enter it manually. It is a little bit annoying, not really for me, but for the rest of the familly.
    Is the service set to start automatically? Can windows see the disk fine, yet slim server fails to do so? Are your preferences being saved correctly - can you see the path in your prefs file when the service is not running?

It rather sounds as if issue 2 may be causing issue 1. I have a similar, but I suspect unrelated, issue on my Debian server. SlimServer fails to start at system startup but always starts fine when I manually start it immediately afterwards. My music is stored on a SATA disk that is controlled by a PCI controller and so is mounted late on in the boot process. It is however fully accessible before I try to start slimserver in the startup scripts. I suspect this is all a red herring, but thought I'd mention it.
    Some people think the title of this song is irrelevant,
    but it's not irrelevant - it's a hippopotamus.

Improvements...

Many thanks for your help! I finally reinstalled the latest version of Slim Server and the service is now activated properly. The iomega disk is recognized if it is switched on before the computer.