Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46
  1. #31
    Senior Member pablolie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    bay area, california.
    Posts
    1,206

    Still the best solution out there...

    ... no doubt in my mind.

    My system remains complete stable after all these years (I think I got my first SB3 in 2005 or even 2004). Love the fact it's never lost support for anything that matters to me: it has a great user interface, offer awesome manual control of the music library... it perfectly surround my pretty capable audio system with everything required to build digital convenience and outsource anything else to the DAC and beyond.

    I'll give you a powerful example, IMO: in 2015 or so, I installed a very easy to use NAD D7050 digital integrated amp. Perfect for those who want a simple interface to music and simply control from their phone, with Spotify build-in... until NAD pulled support for the app and for Spotify. Let's face it audio vendors expertise isn't software and hence integrating into a streaming app, because they'll discontinue support after a few years. It's a story that repeats itself again and again: a streaming service changes their API some, and unless the audio vendor commits resources (and probably those resources are dedicated to their existing and future products), you're left out in the cold. The solution? I installed LMS running on an ancient Lenovo X61 that runs Linux, picked up an SB3 from one of my moving boxes (I keep Squeezebox extras :-D)... and off you go. Spotify now runs without a hitch (thanks Mr Herger!).

    Synchronization is one very neat thing the video seems to omit.

    The SB3, Touch and Boom remain my fav products. My experience with the Duet was horrific, the Controller and Receiver regularly stopped talking and one had to reset them with a weird procedure and re-boot them etc. I replaced it in the Bedroom system pronto with an SB3. :-) Back then I had 6 active SBoxen throughout the house that played in perfect synchrony, which back then amazed people. :-) On latest count, I converted over 20 friends or acquaintances to the SB system.
    Last edited by pablolie; 2022-11-24 at 09:13.
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.2.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

  2. #32
    Senior Member agbagb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    713
    Don't know if it gets mentioned often, but the rechargeable Duet Controller had a Beta headphones out feature, which was a very early way of pottering round the house or sitting in the garden listening to music via LMS! One thing - at least in my exoerience - was that the battery life was shockingly low ...........
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11
    Control: Web GUI; MaterialSkin on Android phones / pads

    b) Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    2 x Touch LAN (Firmware:8.0.1-r16907)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (8.0.1-r16907)

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    45
    I only just noticed these Darko Audio videos and enjoyed them a lot, so of course I came straight here to see if there were any threads about them

    I got into LMS after researching a cheaper (and I think better!) alternative to Sonos for a friend back in 2009, he was so impressed that I decided to invest also - first a Boom, then Duet (which I didn't really end up using much) and finally a Radio. Over the years I added 3 more radios to my collection (each with a battery) and they became the main way I streamed via LMS around the house. Just a brilliant system and community!

    I can't help but think about the Radio wifi issue when I watch the Darko videos though as for me personally it has significantly impacted my LMS experience unfortunately. Because it is a neighbour with an Orbi mesh system which seems to have caused the problems I don't think I can solve them. I've looked into alternatives to the Radio before but nothing matches it for having the control / inputs (i.e. you don't need an additional controller or smartphone) and portability in one neat package (that I know of). It is discussed elsewhere of course, not meaning to start talking about it here, it just comes to mind is all.

  4. #34
    Senior Member HeadBanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ashingdon, UK
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    But at the time, wasn’t it a gigantic leap in term of ease of use to navigate a library? I found it fantastic
    Completely agree and I still have mine on a table for occasional use.

    The receivers may not have had the best DAC but with a digital connection to an external DAC this was solved.

    Can’t stand Darko’s usual subjective nonsense (macro dynamics anyone?) but nice to see him praising the SB ecosystem.

    HB
    1 x Duet, 3 x Yamaha Restio, 3 x Radio, 2 x Touch with iPeng 9 served by Synology DS2419+, Docker and LMS 8.2.0

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    ny usa
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by slurmsmckenzie View Post
    I only just noticed these Darko Audio videos and enjoyed them a lot, so of course I came straight here to see if there were any threads about them

    I got into LMS after researching a cheaper (and I think better!) alternative to Sonos for a friend back in 2009, he was so impressed that I decided to invest also - first a Boom, then Duet (which I didn't really end up using much) and finally a Radio. Over the years I added 3 more radios to my collection (each with a battery) and they became the main way I streamed via LMS around the house. Just a brilliant system and community!

    I can't help but think about the Radio wifi issue when I watch the Darko videos though as for me personally it has significantly impacted my LMS experience unfortunately. Because it is a neighbour with an Orbi mesh system which seems to have caused the problems I don't think I can solve them. I've looked into alternatives to the Radio before but nothing matches it for having the control / inputs (i.e. you don't need an additional controller or smartphone) and portability in one neat package (that I know of). It is discussed elsewhere of course, not meaning to start talking about it here, it just comes to mind is all.
    An additional weirdness, the SB classic, which is older than the radio, and the touch which is newer than the radio, seem to not be affected by this issue. It’s a shame, I have added a Wi-Fi dongle to one radio and that seems to work, but now I cannot use it with a battery.

  6. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    8
    Yeah cheers for that Darko, I'm trying to buy a Squeezebox Touch and the prices on ebay have risen already


  7. #37
    Senior Member agbagb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb48 View Post
    Yeah cheers for that Darko, I'm trying to buy a Squeezebox Touch and the prices on ebay have risen already

    I think it says a lot for the SB world that prices for "old kit" have pretty much always been strong on EBay etc etc - it's my impression (maybe wrong.....) that you usually have to pay between 50 and 70% of the original sales price, assuming the kit is in VG condition.
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11
    Control: Web GUI; MaterialSkin on Android phones / pads

    b) Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    2 x Touch LAN (Firmware:8.0.1-r16907)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (8.0.1-r16907)

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb48 View Post
    Yeah cheers for that Darko, I'm trying to buy a Squeezebox Touch and the prices on ebay have risen already

    I hear ya. The day before his vid came out, there was a Touch for $90 that I was pondering to pickup for a family member. I slept on it like I do with my impulse buys. Darko vid came out the next day and I went looking for the $90 Touch. Ad was reposted with an updated price for $200 and sold shortly after.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #39
    Senior Member agbagb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    713
    Here in France, I'm seeing this evening Touches - and not so many of them - for either side of 175 euros. Radios on the other hand are plentiful, around 55 euros. I wonder if a lot of Radios are being dumped by folk gradually discovering the WiFi6 issue? That said, White or Red radios remain as scarce as hen's teeth, and always seem to command a premium.
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11
    Control: Web GUI; MaterialSkin on Android phones / pads

    b) Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    2 x Touch LAN (Firmware:8.0.1-r16907)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (8.0.1-r16907)

  10. #40
    Senior Member pablolie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    bay area, california.
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by bengaldave View Post
    .. the radio, seem to not be affected by this issue. It’s a shame, I have added a Wi-Fi dongle to one radio and that seems to work, but now I cannot use it with a battery.
    Which dongle did you get? It's a good idea (I installed the patch, but that causes the Radio to occasionally interrupt music play when synched to the rest of my players), but I want to make sure it's not a dongle that suffers from the same WiFi issues,,, :-)
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.2.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Touch-> NAD D7050 -> KEF LS50 + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •