Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Wow... - even if it's refering to the SB world as "Vintage" :-D.

It was great then, it was great now.

I guess you could claim plausible deniability on the Touch being vintage, however the server is not even close!

Coming from someone without any Squeezebox hardware, not only does LMS serve as an economical alternative to Roon, it also beats Roon in a few areas.

UPnP/DLNA Renderer Compatibility
    Lots of good audio hardware out there that only supports UPnP streaming. Generally, the user experience controlling these devices ranges from acceptable to infuriatingly awful, particularly on iOS. LMS allows us to ditch ugly, poorly implemented OEM apps, and featureless, aging third-party controllers, and instead use Material UI, a centralized library, and standard playlists. While Roon intentionally does not support these endpoints for dogmatic reasons, the fact is that there is a very strong use-case for the Roon-like experience while streaming to a single device, bit-perfectly. And on many devices that support Airplay and UPnP (HEOS for one), only UPnP will allow hi-res and DSD, whereas the "Roon tested" workaround using Airplay will not.

Multi-Endpoint
    Continuing the previous point, LMS is nearly agnostic when it comes to endpoints. I haven't found another system that will "bridge" this variety of endpoints, not only allowing music to be played on a variety of hardware, but exposing that hardware into other ecosystems (like creating an Airplay speaker from a chromecast, or UPnP renderer from an airport express.)

I can't stress this point enough. Running LMS allows my family to use Apple Music on Airplay speakers around the house, while allowing me to stream local content to those same speakers. In comparison to literally any other multi-room system, either DIY (snapcast, Volumio) or off-the-shelf (Sonos, HEOS, MusiCast), I'm not locked into any one vendor and can simply piggyback off existing speakers. I find that airplay + LMS is a great match for setting up whole home audio on the cheap.

I could rant and rave about how happy I am I got into LMS. Hopefully it's around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by mightaswell View Post
    Coming from someone without any Squeezebox hardware, not only does LMS serve as an economical alternative to Roon, it also beats Roon in a few areas.
    It beats Roon in virtually every area.

The only obvious advantage of Roon is (slightly) less requirement for technical nous.

LMS does require a very small amount of technical ability in terms of installing plugins, configuring them to work together, building RasPi endpoints from PiCorePlayer, etc.

Roon has got "plug 'n' play" a little more polished.

But that's it as far as I'm concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by mightaswell View Post
    I could rant and rave about how happy I am I got into LMS.
    So could I but I'm a little understated.
    Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
    Kitchen/outside: Chromecast audio, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
    And... SB+, radios & tons of Chromecasts... all run from LMS and controlled via Material Skin on any nearby device and a couple of Touchs.

Also don't forget that we also have this vital forum and community of music fans, hi-fi enthusiasts and technology hobbyists that keeps our Squeezeboxen running!
    Pi4 w/Allo Boss 2 Player (Wired), Max2Play w/LMS Server 8.2
    Router: Netgear R700P
    File Storage: Samsung T5 SSD
    Music Service: Qobuz
    Logitech Boom

Do you think I should offer him to try a SqueezeAMP? It's tempting but first it is not a commercial venture (by no means) and second, it is very unlikely going to fit his expectations of audio quality so it might be a waste of time with frustration for everybody.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3