Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you have a way to start pCP/ LMS without RTC (date and time)

I have a server in my car so there's no network. I used to be able to modify the bootlocal.sh file to read (See below) and that would bypass LMS needing the time. I got help on this from Paul, but I don;t think he's still around. This doesn't seem to work with pCP 8.0 or greater.

Anyone else running a pCP server with out networking? How did you get by the long delay while LMS waits for the time to be set?

Thanks, Howard

#!/bin/sh
    # put other system startup commands here

GREEN="$(echo -e '\033[1;32m')"

date -s 2020-12-15

echo
    echo "${GREEN}Running bootlocal.sh..."
    #pCPstart------
    /usr/local/etc/init.d/pcp_startup.sh 2>&1 | tee -a /var/log/pcp_boot.log
    #pCPstop------

LMS does not really care what the date is.
    The delay is probably pCP waiting for the time.

The file
    /etc/init.d/settime.sh
    has a delay and loop - and it waits for the year to be greater than or equal to 2018 ... so you could force the date to be something like 1/1/2022 at the top of that script and it would probably work.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Hi Howard,

Did you set a static IP? By doing this you avoid some of the network checks.

See step 17 in "Standalone piCorePlayer".

regards
    Greg

Hi Greg,

I did manage to get it all working, but I had to start with pCP 7.0 and several tries to get a working LMS download and AP Mode extension. I don't know what that was all about. I could never get the NTFS extension to download, but it seems like it was included in the Full Update of Squeezelite extensions. I couldn't download it any other way. I got the changes done in the bootlocal.sh file and everything was working, but I did not have the SD Card Imaging. I updated to pCP 8.0 and that fixed that. Made my changes to the JogglerSkinApplet. Last piece of the puzzle.

LMS would not start unless there was a network connection until I changed the bootlocal.sh file. Specifically the date as Paul mentioned.

Nothing seemed to work unless I started with pCP 7.0. Once I did that, everything worked well with the exception of getting a good LMS file.

Thanks for taking the time to help and have a great weekend.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Hi Howard,

Did you set a static IP? By doing this you avoid some of the network checks.

See step 17 in "Standalone piCorePlayer".

regards
    Greg

Thanks Paul. The console showed the LMS load waiting for the time. It never went any further until I added a date in the bootlocal.sh file as you mentioned unless I had a network connection. For some reason none of the stuff I had documented worked until I started with pCP 7.0.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    LMS does not really care what the date is.
    The delay is probably pCP waiting for the time.

The file
    /etc/init.d/settime.sh
    has a delay and loop - and it waits for the year to be greater than or equal to 2018 ... so you could force the date to be something like 1/1/2022 at the top of that script and it would probably work.

I built a standalone pCP in WAP mode with LMS not too long ago and it works fine without date/time. When I boot it it is set to auto start a particular playlist.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?116776-pCP-with-LMS-in-WAP-mode

Hi d6jg,

What version of pCP did you use? I suppose LMS may eventually start, but it didn't within a few minutes. With the way I have it set up, it starts to play within about 20-30 seconds, even before the pCP Player splash screen comes up.

WAP mode wasn't the problem. AP Mode was.

Cheers,

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I built a standalone pCP in WAP mode with LMS not too long ago and it works fine without date/time. When I boot it it is set to auto start a particular playlist.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...MS-in-WAP-mode

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Passman View Post
    Hi d6jg,

What version of pCP did you use? I suppose LMS may eventually start, but it didn't within a few minutes. With the way I have it set up, it starts to play within about 20-30 seconds, even before the pCP Player splash screen comes up.

WAP mode wasn't the problem. AP Mode was.

Cheers,

Howard
    It was the latest pCP image as of a month ago.
    I did have issues getting LMS configured - see my thread - but that was nothing to do with WAP.

I built it with LAN connected and then removed the LAN when everything was working.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Hi Jim, Well, all is working now so I'm a happy camper once again. I did get AP Mode working...with the exception of I can't hit it with a browser. I use my phone to change any setting in pCP. It hands out an IP address and connects, but, as I said, I can't pull up the pCP web page. Not much of an issue though and I'll live without i until I feel like messing with it again.

The pCP server/player is the best thing about the car :-)

Cheers,

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    It was the latest pCP image as of a month ago.
    I did have issues getting LMS configured - see my thread - but that was nothing to do with WAP.

I built it with LAN connected and then removed the LAN when everything was working.

By default the WAP side IP is 10.10.10.1 but pCP.local may not work. Which are you trying?
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes