Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What programming / IT Skills should I learn to develop and contribute?

Hi All

I am a big audio and hifi lover, and programming is another one of my hobbies ( I have basic to intermediate Python skills, very basic bash skills). I have recently bought a raspberry pi4 and installed Picoreplayer and LMS. I love it. However, what I would like to do is start learning more on how to develop bespoke software to apply to the rpi etc., and also to display my own skins and GUI for a screen mounted to the Rpi. I often check out blogs from people who post random code / settings, but I do not fully understand it and what it is based in. It appears I would need a good knowledge of Linux ? Any advice to set me out in the right direction?

Thanks
    P

I think the most important thing to remember is piCore is not your normal Lunix distribution.

It is:

• stripped bare, lots of things are missing or minimal versions of commands (BusyBox)
    • runs in RAM, your edits may disappear
    • lots of loop mounted readonly extensions

For example, there is no bash, no python, no compiling tools loaded by default. piCore does have sh, micropython though.

piCorePlayer is 98% basic sh scripts.

LMS is mainly perl.

Jivelite is mainly lua.

HTML is used in most web GUI's.

Thanks Greg. Looks like one needs to be well experienced and have a wide knowledge base!

Often you are building / adapting on something that is already there.
    It is a lot easier to start off with a small project that is an adaptation and learn as you go.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

If you want to stick to pure Python, you might have a look here: https://github.com/retired-guy/Squeezebox

Not anywhere near as slick as piCorePlayer, but fun to play with, and quite functional.
    piTouch™ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.

Perl, Perl and Perl. Since you already know Python, you won't have any problem picking it up. The vast majority of LMS and most of the plugins are written in Perl. It's powerful and easy to learn. As a retired C++ developer, the biggest problem I had was getting used to how much more straightforward it is to do most things in Perl, especially when it comes to working with variables.

Welcome to the community and feel free to post any questions you have on the forums. I think you'll find, as I did, that it's a very cooperative and helpful community. And, by the way, if your home audio system includes one or more Denon or Marantz AVR's, be sure to check out the "DENON AVP/AVR Control" plugin, of which I have become a co-developer --- my first experience with Perl.
    Sam

Thanks Chicks and SamY- I will certainly give Perl a shot. What does it do better than Python

Perl

On the fence about whether or not to commit to Perl. From my research there it appears to be very much a language on the way out.

If you want to write a plugin for LMS then you need to learn some Perl.

However, what is it that you want to build?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by prolle View Post
    On the fence about whether or not to commit to Perl. From my research there it appears to be very much a language on the way out.
    If you’re looking to enhance your career, yes, Perl is going the way of COBOL - few new projects, you’ll be handed someone else’s often very obfuscated code to maintain and enhance. Python is a much better choice, though Perl developers are far fewer so pay can be better.

If you’re looking to build LMS plugins, Perl it is.
    piTouch™ w/JustBoom DigiHat -> RME ADI-2 DAC FS -> JBL 305P MkII monitors; LMS 8.2 on piCorePlayer/Pi 4; Material Skin.