Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

I'm a LMS convert...

After a half a decade of auditioning a number of media server packages, Logitech Media Server has made me into a convert.

In the past, I've auditioned Roon (over priced for what it offers), JRiver (the remote control apps are lacking, and the CEO's attitude towards customers is confrontational, but its DSP-Over-DLNA facility is very good), BubbleUPnP Server (adequate but without DSP), Plex (I just didn't like the GUI/UX), MusicBee (I still use it as a local player, but it's UPnP-DLNA server plug-in is buggy), and Emby (a beautiful and pleasant GUI/UX, but no DSP).

I settled on Emby with a couple of other applications (AutoEQ, Macast and Desktop Audio Streamer) in order to apply DSP to Google Cast and DLNA streams. It worked fine, and the UX was pleasant, but having to run three other applications along side it just didn't set well with me; as a software engineer and data scientist, efficiency and optimization are big deals to me.

Although I'd seen mentions of LMS I just never got around to auditioning it. I think the current open source nature of the project put me off as I've not had good experiences with such in the past. Well, I can now say that I shouldn't have let that put me off.

I've been auditioning LMS over the past two weeks and have found it to be an impressive piece of software. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised, though, given its commercial origins.

Well done to all the developers involved. You've made me another satisfied convert... 😎

Name:  tia4515462821726785780.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  150.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by artatgray View Post
    After a half a decade of auditioning a number of media server packages, Logitech Media Server has made me into a convert.

In the past, I've auditioned Roon (over priced for what it offers), JRiver (the remote control apps are lacking, and the CEO's attitude towards customers is confrontational, but its DSP-Over-DLNA facility is very good), BubbleUPnP Server (adequate but without DSP), Plex (I just didn't like the GUI/UX), MusicBee (I still use it as a local player, but it's UPnP-DLNA server plug-in is buggy), and Emby (a beautiful and pleasant GUI/UX, but no DSP).

I settled on Emby with a couple of other applications (AutoEQ, Macast and Desktop Audio Streamer) in order to apply DSP to Google Cast and DLNA streams. It worked fine, and the UX was pleasant, but having to run three other applications along side it just didn't set well with me; as a software engineer and data scientist, efficiency and optimization are big deals to me.

Although I'd seen mentions of LMS I just never got around to auditioning it. I think the current open source nature of the project put me off as I've not had good experiences with such in the past. Well, I can now say that I shouldn't have let that put me off.

I've been auditioning LMS over the past two weeks and have found it to be an impressive piece of software. I guess I really shouldn't be surprised, though, given its commercial origins.

Well done to all the developers involved. You've made me another satisfied convert... 😎
    Is your name Bill?
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
    Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
    Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 3xRPi, 1xCORE32, AVI DM5 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Is your name Bill?
    I don't think it's "not Bruce"

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by artatgray View Post
    ...efficiency and optimization are big deals to me...
    it is an illness that afflicts most of us here, welcome to your new family

Jim

Welcome aboard! I see that you already discovered Material Skin. I also recommend Squeezer as a free, powerful and easy to use Android client app. Enjoy the LMS experience!
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    it is an illness that afflicts most of us here, welcome to your new family

Jim

✋🏾😎

Quote Originally Posted by SamY View Post
    Welcome aboard! I see that you already discovered Material Skin. I also recommend Squeezer as a free, powerful and easy to use Android client app. Enjoy the LMS experience!

✋🏾 😎

So what is 'Bill's Gate'??

Quote Originally Posted by acanning View Post
    So what is 'Bill's Gate'??
    It's the onboard network player of a Klipsch PowerGate streaming integrated amplifier. It supports UPnP-DLNA.
    Some friends, associates and I run a Facebook group dedicated to music streaming technologies and you're all welcome to join us:

https://facebook.com/groups/hifiaudiostreaming/

:-)

Nice to have a list of software and your thoughts, cheers :-)

Just checking DSP is that similar to PEQ ?

I was never sold on room correction (dsp? peq?) as thought it was too much giggerypokery with the signal, wanted things simple 'pure' and straight forward, until I heard the difference :-o

I now have a couple of XTA DP200's as experimental room correction thingies which I am impressed with! although I have had to learn stuff to get the sound how I like it, which is cool. So frequencies can be boosted or reduced dependent on room and ones hearing, as far as I can tell there is not much trade off in sound degradation with the XTA gear in the chain, its a plus to cut frequencies I don't like and add a little more of the ones I do, keeping the character of amps and speakers :-)

Just a thought if your still looking for DSP adjustments...
    Yeah I am a little out of date with gear so may be way off :-o

:-)