Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SB3 occasionally stops / clicks with LMS running on a wired Pi4

My WiFi SB3 occasionally stops, clicks, or makes odd noises. The obvious answer is this is a networking problem but I'd be surprised since LMS is running on a wired up-to-date Pi4, and the WiFi SB3 is pretty nearby albeit on a 2 node mesh system. I live in a small detached house and the WiFi is excellent throughout.

I looked at the LMS log but there is nothing of interest in there. In fact the last entry is a week ago! Any idea how to investigate this further? There are other players attached, but the problem occurs even when they are turned off. I haven't noticed the problem with BBC Sounds.

LMS 8.2.1 - 1641537226 7 Jan 2022.
    Raspberry Pi: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
    SB3 -> Quad 909 -> Quad Electrostatic speakers, Quad 405 -> TBI subwoofer
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4
    Rotel RSP1068 surround processor, Quad 707 -> B&W surround

anyone?
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4

Does it happen when you play local music?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Does it happen when you play local music?
    Yes, both when playing FLACs on my Pi4 or BBC sounds. I think if anything more with the local music.

Is it possible to get more detailed log info that may help?
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4

Do you have any lower bitrate local files to try with?

Also - in the first post you said that there were no problems with BBC Sounds but in the reply you said that there are problems with it.

If you can show that it happens with low bitrate content then it implies it is not related to the quality of the network connection (not proof but indicative).

How is the SB3 connected to the speakers?
    What happens if you try a different route to the speakers from SB3?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Do you have any lower bitrate local files to try with?

Also - in the first post you said that there were no problems with BBC Sounds but in the reply you said that there are problems with it.

If you can show that it happens with low bitrate content then it implies it is not related to the quality of the network connection (not proof but indicative).

How is the SB3 connected to the speakers?
    What happens if you try a different route to the speakers from SB3?
    BBS Sounds) you are correct, however it has now glitched with BBC sounds too. it seems more reliable with BBC Sounds, but it's hard to be objective as it happens pretty infrequently.
    Lower bit rate) I'll give it a go but the network really is pretty good.

The SB3 and Pi4 are both hardwired to an amplifier and speaker - nothing wireless there.

Are there any logs I can get that might be helpful?
    Last edited by rbl; 2022-09-29 at 07:36.
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4

I think it is unlikely to show anything in the logs because the problem is probably hardware related at the player or interconnects.
    Paul Webster

I think it is unlikely to show anything in the logs because the problem is probably hardware related at the player or interconnects.
    ok - I'll try taking a lengthy CAT5 to the SB3 then and see if that stops the problem.
    A slightly odd thing that I should mention is that quite often when I look at LMS in Chrome on a separate Windows PC then it (at least sometimes) shows the FLAC as still playing (with the progress indicator ticking over). There's just no sound!

Is there a buffer setting or something I can change?
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4

I was suggesting the connection between the SB3 and the speakers is where the problem might lie.

I think that the browser JavaScript updates the progress bar using a timer and periodically asks LMS where it should be. So it is very possible for the progress bar to be inaccurate when there are some problems happening.

You could put a higher level of detail on the “player” logs in LMS/Settings/Advanced/Logging
    Paul Webster

I was suggesting the connection between the SB3 and the speakers is where the problem might lie.

I think that the browser JavaScript updates the progress bar using a timer and periodically asks LMS where it should be. So it is very possible for the progress bar to be inaccurate when there are some problems happening.

You could put a higher level of detail on the “player” logs in LMS/Settings/Advanced/Logging
    Interesting about the progress bar - that explains that behaviour at least.

The speakers are hard wired.

I have enabled Warnings on player.streaming, player.streaming.direct, player.streaming.remote to see if that shows anything.
    3 x SB3s + SB Radio
    LMS on Raspbian on a Pi4