Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

CLI stops sending subscription messages

I am using CLI via Python scripts using LMSTools. I have 3 picoreplayers (v6) on pi zeros with usb Ethernet, all registering with my LMS 8.3 server on a pi4 for callback mixer and playlist events.

This all works just fine - for weeks at a time. But at some point all 3 picoreplayers stop receiving events - they still appear connected as I don’t get any telnet client exceptions coming back through the LMSTools layer. I can see from the logs that they all receive the same playlist event at the same time and then stop.

Interestingly I have a similar Python script using LMSTools on the LMS PI4 - it connects to itself using its ipaddress - not a local ip. At the time the picoreplayers see their last event, this script keeps on receiving.

My LMS server is on a scheduled reboot once a week as are the picoreplayers, staggered. The clients restart their CLI scripts each day. I switched CLI logging to debug, but it can take weeks to occur and the one time I was able to check the server I couldn’t see anything untoward.

Any help, suggestions appreciated, Scott

I wasn't able to determine the cause. Perhaps too many telnet clients needing to be serviced by LMS. In the end of decided to go for a different approach. I use a single Python Script on the LMS server to capture subscribed events using LMSTools. This script then notifies each piCorePlayer client via a simple UDP packet (some rudimentary ACK and resend implemented to overcome the very rare occasion that UDP's unreliability occurs). I will have to monitor the situation, but its working out so far and has the added benefit of limiting effort required by LMS and clients maintaining the telnet connections.

Quote Originally Posted by vlgindeed View Post
    I wasn't able to determine the cause. Perhaps too many telnet clients needing to be serviced by LMS. In the end of decided to go for a different approach. I use a single Python Script on the LMS server to capture subscribed events using LMSTools. This script then notifies each piCorePlayer client via a simple UDP packet (some rudimentary ACK and resend implemented to overcome the very rare occasion that UDP's unreliability occurs). I will have to monitor the situation, but its working out so far and has the added benefit of limiting effort required by LMS and clients maintaining the telnet connections.
    Using the Event Trigger plugin might simplify this setup
    Various SW: Web Interface | Text Interface | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | Ambient Noise Mixer | DB Optimizer | Image Enhancer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...