Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was thinking about this a little bit, and no breakthrough "ah-ha" but a couple thoughts that might jog someone else's memory, and a few things to maybe try.

So, on your radio:
    A) Power supply plugged in:
    Headphone not plugged in - radio plays through speaker
    Headphone plugged in - speaker off, radio plays through headphones

B) Power supply unplugged (radio on bat):
    Headphone not plugged in - radio does not play through speaker (the problem)

Is this correct?

1) One thing to try, remove the battery, what happens? (Not sure why I am suggesting this, assume it will play)

2) My thought is, the headphone jack is a 4 contact plug/receptical - right, left, common, switch (receptacle only, senses barrel). The "switch" is used to detect the presence of the headphones, and switch the speaker off/headphones on (unless the headphone R/L/C are always active). The switch is a normally open (NO) or closed (NC). Let's say it's NO, you might think in B) that perhaps the switch is stuck closed. However, with the power supply present (A) this contradicts this.

So, why would the designers have a different signal path and switching for power than for battery? I would guess that there is an energy efficiency to gain on battery that is not needed on line power. The problem is to the best of my knowledge, there is no known radio schematic. Personally I have not had one apart.

Maybe someone else has an idea. Until then I might suggest a couple desperation things:

1) Use some deoxit, or even silicone spray on the headphone jack, insert, twist, remove, repeat
    2) If you feel like opening it up (there are instructions here somewhere),see if you can find the wire on the jack that is "switch", should be obvious. See if this changes start if you plug/unplug the headphone
    3) Do you have another radio to try swapping out ps, battery, etc? Not sure if you mentioned...(edit, just reread, you do have another radio)

Best I have for now. I have a radio with a battery here if there is something you would like me to test
    Jim

Edit - mechanical things are most likely to fail, oxidize, etc. If you felt like opening up both radios to see if the "switched" contact behaves differently, might indicate the receptical. But of course, you could always put the battery in the radio that works!
    Last edited by Redrum; 2022-09-25 at 03:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I was thinking about this a little bit, and no breakthrough "ah-ha" but a couple thoughts that might jog someone else's memory, and a few things to maybe try.

So, on your radio:
    A) Power supply plugged in:
    Headphone not plugged in - radio plays through speaker

B) Power supply unplugged (radio on bat):
    Headphone not plugged in - radio does not play through speaker (the problem)

Is this correct?

1) One thing to try, remove the battery, what happens? (Not sure why I am suggesting this, assume it will play)

2) My thought is, the headphone jack is a 4 contact plug/receptical - right, left, common, switch (receptacle only, senses barrel). The "switch" is used to detect the presence of the headphones, and switch the speaker off/headphones on (unless the headphone R/L/C are always active). The switch is a normally open (NO) or closed (NC). Let's say it's NO, you might think in B) that perhaps the switch is stuck closed. However, with the power supply present (A) this contradicts this.

So, why would the designers have a different signal path and switching for power than for battery? I would guess that there is an energy efficiency to gain on battery that is not needed on line power. The problem is to the best of my knowledge, there is no known radio schematic. Personally I have not had one apart.

Maybe someone else has an idea. Until then I might suggest a couple desperation things:

1) Use some deoxit, or even silicone spray on the headphone jack, insert, twist, remove, repeat
    2) If you feel like opening it up (there are instructions here somewhere),see if you can find the wire on the jack that is "switch", should be obvious. See if this changes start if you plug/unplug the headphone
    3) Do you have another radio to try swapping out ps, battery, etc? Not sure if you mentioned...(edit, just reread, you do have another radio)

Best I have for now. I have a radio with a battery here if there is something you would like me to test
    Jim

Edit - mechanical things are most likely to fail, oxidize, etc. If you felt like opening up both radios to see if the "switched" contact behaves differently, might indicate the receptical. But of course, you could always put the battery in the radio that works!
    When the Radio is plugged in and playing it continues to play with no disruption if it is unplugged so none of this makes any sense to me even though it has affected some users.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk