Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pCP with LMS in WAP mode

I know there have been threads about this in the past but I never thought I would have a use case for such a set up so I largely ignored them - but suddenly I do have a use case.

So. Is it possible to run pCP/LMS without an active internet connection but have it also act as a WAP? What happens if the Pi can't get a connection to NTP server?

I need to take it somewhere where they may or may not have working internet but they do have a music system I can plug it into. I need the WAP so I can control it with my phone although I do have one with a built in screen I could re-purpose.
    It is only going to be used for 3-4 hours to play music at a wake.

I could put all of the music I intend to play onto my phone in the worst case but I'd prefer to use LMS due to Replay Gain / Crossfade capability. I don't want to be constantly rushing to adjust volume. I have about 2 weeks to build and test as well as create the playlist. I do have a spare Pi or two.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Somewhere around pCP 4.0 it was added to the WiFi settings page (probably with Beta mode enabled).
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Somewhere around pCP 4.0 it was added to the WiFi settings page (probably with Beta mode enabled).
    Thanks Paul but I did know that.

The question is more around not having any internet connection I guess. I'm sure I have seen people say pCP complains if it has no connection to get NTP.
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

I am pretty sure I have run it without internet connection. My recollection is that it times out trying to get the time but continues.
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I am pretty sure I have run it without internet connection. My recollection is that it times out trying to get the time but continues.
    In my case (recover from power failure, internet not yet available) time access fails and there is never a retry (I think confirmed by @Paul-). My system does work but "time" based plugins/apps - radio paradise flac interactive, spotty (I am told) do not work.

I have also run mine where there is no internet at all/ever (crappy DSL waiting for the repair date). Local music plays fine.

So, local music, no problem, just the RP thing, and, my players will not show the clock.

Jim

Thanks both
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Thanks both
    I forgot to address one of your original questions - I use material apk on android tablets/phones and that also works as expected. So, when I went days without internet, LMS/players functioned just fine except no internet radio. The "time" effect on RP was moot, because...no internet

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I forgot to address one of your original questions - I use material apk on android tablets/phones and that also works as expected. So, when I went days without internet, LMS/players functioned just fine except no internet radio. The "time" effect on RP was moot, because...no internet

Jim
    Pleased to say I have it working and yes it was actually dead simple. The lack of accurate time / internet connection seems irrelevant if playing local music only.
    The only gotcha I experienced was the need to set Squeezelite on the Pi to use LMS at 127.0.0.1 otherwise I couldn't see the player on my phone when connected via the WAP (although I could see LMS/Material).
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Great its working as it is a setup I rarely test.

Does it boot normally or does it have timeouts on network and ntp checks?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Great its working as it is a setup I rarely test.

Does it boot normally or does it have timeouts on network and ntp checks?
    I did all the setup without any monitor so I can’t actually answer that at present. I’ll stick one on next week and let you know.

I can tell you that the WAP WiFi is strong enough to run a phone and an SB Touch attached but an old Joggler as an attempted controller causes audio issues on the Pi probably a flaky wireless card in the Joggler.

I currently have a 256gb SSD in a USB3 caddy attached but for neatness I’m going to swap to a similar sized USB3 stick sometime next week. Audio out via the 3.5mm Jack is good enough for the intended purpose.

One setup issue I will mention (because I’ve seen others have had it) was trying to assign the folders when clicking “Configure LMS”. After entering the path and clicking apply just resulted in LMS crashing. After restart and/or reboot the folders were blank. I tried this a number of times with same results. Eventually I clicked “LMS web page” which brought me to the standard setup wizard which worked.

NB I had set pCP into WAP mode before I installed LMS in case this is significant
    Jim

Dining Room SB Radio