Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Quiet, "thin" output on a Touch

Keeps happening on one Touch, through LMS - volume seems half of what I expect, thin, bass-free sound, on all sources (radio streams, FLAC collection, MP3 etc etc) Often resolves itself (fading gradually - over 10 minutes or so - up the "normal" sound). It's not the amp / speaker set-up, which works normally on non-Touch / LMS inputs.

Hard reboot doesn't seem to help. Any thoughts welcome. I'm sort of suspecting the power supply, so I'll see what I've got in the "audio drawer" .....
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11
    Control: Web GUI; MaterialSkin on Android phones / pads

b) Freebox Pop Wifi6 / Mesh
    External SSD, WiFi Laptop
    2 x Touch LAN (Firmware:8.0.1-r16907)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (8.0.1-r16907)

I'm giving this a bump in the hope of some thoughts from the community ....... The problem is so intermittent that it's difficult to chase. I swapped the power supply on 2 working Touches to see if the problem moved from one to the other (so, power suppy faulty?) or stayed where it was (so, Touch faulty?). But, since then, both have worked perfectly!

Has anyone else encountered this thin, quite sound output from a Touch? For all the world it's like the Radio audio output problem that we occasionally encounter - but I can't think how it could have the same cause; and in any case a reset doesn't, in and of itself, fix the Touch issue. It *is* odd when it resolves itself - over about 5 - 10 mins, the sound just fades back up to its normal level and quality!
    Last edited by agbagb; 2022-09-01 at 04:49. Reason: Typos
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11

I have 3 touches and have not experienced this (which doesn't help, I know). Curious, are you using the analog RCA or digital optical outputs? Do you have the capability to hook up both?

On one of my systems I have the analog hooked to, say, "CD" of an integrated amp, and the digital goes into an outboard DAC, then analog into, say "AUX". I do that so I can quick A/B to convince myself the $ for the DAC was worth it

My thought is, if you have both outputs hooked up, and your thin event happens, you could switch inputs on your amplification to see if it's still there. If it is - it's the touch core, if it's not - it's either unique to your touch's output, or, your signal path (e.g. cables, DAC, amp input, etc).

Another benefit of "if it's not", you can choose to use that output if it's acceptable to you

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
    I have 3 touches and have not experienced this (which doesn't help, I know). Curious, are you using the analog RCA or digital optical outputs? Do you have the capability to hook up both?

On one of my systems I have the analog hooked to, say, "CD" of an integrated amp, and the digital goes into an outboard DAC, then analog into, say "AUX". I do that so I can quick A/B to convince myself the $ for the DAC was worth it

My thought is, if you have both outputs hooked up, and your thin event happens, you could switch inputs on your amplification to see if it's still there. If it is - it's the touch core, if it's not - it's either unique to your touch's output, or, your signal path (e.g. cables, DAC, amp input, etc).

Another benefit of "if it's not", you can choose to use that output if it's acceptable to you

Jim

You, Sir, are a genius....... What excellent suggestions - I had never really thought of hooking up both Touch possible outputs to different amp inputs. As it happens, the problem system is the most neatly installed in the apartment, and consequently the one most difficult to fiddle around with cables (without the whole thing looking like writhing snakes.....). But I'll give that a go in due course. Also, something tells me that in fact the more likely culprit than the Touch or its PS is some oddity in the amp - so, at the very least I should try using, say, CD instead of AUX for a while, which is not so tricky to wire up.

As I said, it's one of those frustrating "only every now and then, and even then it fixes itself if left alone" faults .......

Watch this space.
    8.2.1 - 1639114554
    Win11