Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Synology fail - help greatly appreciated

Like many of you, I've been kneecapped by LMS being "removed" by Synology, and am pondering what to do next. I know there will be multiple threads on this, but would appreciate (as would many others I'd think) a simple guide to What To Do Next as I want to keep using LMS if possible. I'm not a complete tech imbecile but hardly ever touch this stuff, so appreciate a simple / noddy / idiot's guide where possible. Is there one out there already?

I suppose there's 2 choices - try to crowbar a working version of LMS back into the Synology NAS (manually install older version of DMS and/or Perl and turn off auto updates) or migrate to something else (which I take to be Raspberry Pi?). Is it even worth bothering with the Synology mount, given possible security issues from running out-of-date OS and further unhelpful updates by Synology? Probably not. So if it's Rapsberry, the following questions:

1) I always thought LMS had to be on the same drive as the music library - comments re Raspberry Pi presumably suggest this isn't the case. If so, is it feasible to load LMS to a laptop running Windows 10 and point it at the music (on the Synology NAS)? Thought not

2) Does using a Pi pretty much replicate what the NAS was doing (store and update a database library, front end for me to choose and manipulate music, access radio etc, cast music over Wifi to Squeezebox players?). I've seen talk of Pi's being sold with on-board DACs, which is obvs a different thing (assume each Squeezbox has it's own on-board DAC?). Would I need a Pi for each room to replace the Squeezeboxes?

3) If I migrate to a Pi, assume I need to copy across the LMS database with all my track ratings, last played, database queries etc if I want to maintain what I've got? Where is it and how do I get to it?

Appreciate any help you can give - hopefully top of head for those who've done it and are as tech rusty as I am. Happy to write / contribute to a "sticky" with my experiences if there isn't one already.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyell View Post
    Like many of you, I've been kneecapped by LMS being "removed" by Synology, and am pondering what to do next. I know there will be multiple threads on this, but would appreciate (as would many others I'd think) a simple guide to What To Do Next as I want to keep using LMS if possible. I'm not a complete tech imbecile but hardly ever touch this stuff, so appreciate a simple / noddy / idiot's guide where possible. Is there one out there already?

I suppose there's 2 choices - try to crowbar a working version of LMS back into the Synology NAS (manually install older version of DMS and/or Perl and turn off auto updates) or migrate to something else (which I take to be Raspberry Pi?). Is it even worth bothering with the Synology mount, given possible security issues from running out-of-date OS and further unhelpful updates by Synology? Probably not. So if it's Rapsberry, the following questions:

1) I always thought LMS had to be on the same drive as the music library - comments re Raspberry Pi presumably suggest this isn't the case. If so, is it feasible to load LMS to a laptop running Windows 10 and point it at the music (on the Synology NAS)? Thought not

2) Does using a Pi pretty much replicate what the NAS was doing (store and update a database library, front end for me to choose and manipulate music, access radio etc, cast music over Wifi to Squeezebox players?). I've seen talk of Pi's being sold with on-board DACs, which is obvs a different thing (assume each Squeezbox has it's own on-board DAC?). Would I need a Pi for each room to replace the Squeezeboxes?

3) If I migrate to a Pi, assume I need to copy across the LMS database with all my track ratings, last played, database queries etc if I want to maintain what I've got? Where is it and how do I get to it?

Appreciate any help you can give - hopefully top of head for those who've done it and are as tech rusty as I am. Happy to write / contribute to a "sticky" with my experiences if there isn't one already.
    You have few options.. Here is my order of preference

If your NAS supports docker ..install LMS in docker

Otherwise buy raspberry pi ..
    If you can get RPI 4 go for it
    Otherwise RPI 3b+/3b will be OK too

To answer your questions
    1. LMS does not have to be on same device.
    You can point to your NAS for library
    Technically you can use laptop but whole idea is to have device which is 24/7 on with low power consumption.. So laptop not best option.

2.Yes RPI will replicate same function as your NAS was doing.. Plus more as you can add DAC hat ot USB DAC and use it as both LMS and another player (with bonus of Bluetooth sink)
    Mind you its usually advised to use wired connection for LMS

3. I can't comment on db migration as haven't attempted it.. With Docker version you can easily copy whole LMS folder to migrate your db etc.. But going from old synology package to raspberry pi.. Probably doable but I'm not sure sorry..

Ohh and yes ..option to downgrade DSM version to run old LMS its absolutely bonkers to me.. Outdated LMS outdated DSM ..security risks..risks with data during downgrade.. No thanks not for me...

Just get RPi or install LMS in docker if your NAS supports it

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    3x Squeezebox Touch, 4x Squeezebox Radio, Squeezelite (RPi 3B with HiFiBerry DAC+Pro on OSMC), Material Skin Apk, Squeeze Commander, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.2.0 with Material Skin (Docker in DS218+)

Cheers @jaca - very clear and much appreciated. I'd forgotten the Docker option so will research that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyell View Post
    Cheers @jaca - very clear and much appreciated. I'd forgotten the Docker option so will research that.
    If you decide to go down the Pi route (although supply seems to be an issue currently) on the off chance you have not already “clocked” it, PiCore Player is a very easy free (donations welcomed) way of getting LMS up and running. Note I have no connection to PiCore beyond being a very happy long term user.

More here https://www.picoreplayer.org/

Quote Originally Posted by farrina View Post
    If you decide to go down the Pi route (although supply seems to be an issue currently) on the off chance you have not already “clocked” it, PiCore Player is a very easy free (donations welcomed) way of getting LMS up and running. Note I have no connection to PiCore beyond being a very happy long term user.

More here https://www.picoreplayer.org/
    Thanks farrina - yes, my NAS won't run Docker I don't think, so I imagine it's 50/50 between buying a new NAS which does (or runs LMS without Docker) or to go to Pi. Do you know of anyone having success migrating their database from a NAS to a Pi (prefer not to lose eg song ratings, last played data etc). Assume I can run the addon "Trackstat" on Pi?

Docker is well-documented...

Another option is picking up an older desktop, like a Dell optiples, putting Ubuntu Linux server on it, then setting up LMS on that box ..the data can still reside on the Synology .. btw is your music backed up ?? For some the physical CDs which were ripped to FLAC are their backup, and for small libraries, I uess this works..

really no more complicated than settiong up a PI -- this is an opportunity to dip your toes into the Linux/open source world ...
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bill Clark, Windham, VT
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.0 - 1662405429
    Hostname: talos4 Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
    -----------------------------------------------

As others have said, a Pi works well in this situation and is what I use. No issues at all with finding my music on the Synology, nor with using other Squeezebox players. I also use Picoreplayer.