Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

New Touch Owner Needs Some Basic Help

To Anyone.... Newbie needs some help, please.

I recently acqired a factory defaulted SqueezeBox Touch and am thankful to have found this repository of information. I have been reading diligently and searching for specific iformation as I only have 20 more days to try it out and test it before I can return it if there are any issues. I will continue reading but need some info fast in order to get me going.

I plan on adding an updated DAC via the digital output, but for now need some quick information and links if they can be provided.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I simply plug in a 2TB SSD with all FLAC, WMA and DSD files to the unit via the USB port and use it as a standalone source?

2. Or do I have to have or use Logitech Music Server Software? Where can I download the latest version of LMS?

3. Where can I download and how do I load the latest firmware into the unit?

4. Is there a limit on the number of files it will recognize and can they be formatted as Master Folder -> Artist Sub-Folder -> Album Sub Folders with individual tracks and embedded album art?

5. Has anyone used an AudioQuest Beetle DAC with the unit and does it offer a major improvement. I can't find any info on the factory DAC type or specs? Any info here are a recommended improvement DAC for a reasonable price would be appreciated. The Beetles are available under $50. I can't go for a $500 unit right now as I'm in the middle of finishing a rebuild of a Dynaco PAS4 tube preamp.

Thanks to anyone and all who can provide any info to these questions. Feel free to PM me if that is better.

Hoping to enjoy the music soon!!!!

Thanks again.
    Thx1326

RESPONSES IN CAPS BELOW

I recently acqired a factory defaulted SqueezeBox Touch and am thankful to have found this repository of information. I have been reading diligently and searching for specific iformation as I only have 20 more days to try it out and test it before I can return it if there are any issues. I will continue reading but need some info fast in order to get me going.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I simply plug in a 2TB SSD with all FLAC, WMA and DSD files to the unit via the USB port and use it as a standalone source?
    NO - THE ONBOARD SERVER IS CRIPPLED

2. Or do I have to have or use Logitech Music Server Software? Where can I download the latest version of LMS?
    YES - https://downloads.slimdevices.com/Lo...Server_v8.2.0/

LMS WILL AUTOMATICALLY OFFER TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE WHEN IT CONNECTS.

4. Is there a limit on the number of files it will recognize and can they be formatted as Master Folder -> Artist Sub-Folder -> Album Sub Folders with individual tracks and embedded album art?
    I HAVE 180,000 TRACKS in LMS. YOU CAN ORGANIZE ANY WAY YOU WANT AND NAVIGATE BY EITHER METADATA OR FOLDER

5. Has anyone used an AudioQuest Beetle DAC with the unit and does it offer a major improvement. I can't find any info on the factory DAC type or specs? Any info here are a recommended improvement DAC for a reasonable price would be appreciated. The Beetles are available under $50. I can't go for a $500 unit right now as I'm in the middle of finishing a rebuild of a Dynaco PAS4 tube preamp.

Thanks to anyone and all who can provide any info to these questions. Feel free to PM me if that is better.

Thanks again.
    Thx1326
    ------
    Touch -> GW Labs upsampler -> TacT RCS 2.2X -> Convolver PC (Win10 + AcourateConvolver + RME HDSP-AES-32)-> (TacT S2150 -> Harbeth M40) + (TacT S2150 -> TacT W210)

Quote Originally Posted by Thx1326 View Post
    I can't go for a $500 unit right now...
    The DAC built into the Touch is not bad. If you want something else, consider a Topping E30.

Quote Originally Posted by krochat View Post
    RESPONSES IN CAPS BELOW

I recently acquired a factory defaulted SqueezeBox Touch and am thankful to have found this repository of information. I have been reading diligently and searching for specific information as I only have 20 more days to try it out and test it before I can return it if there are any issues. I will continue reading but need some info fast in order to get me going.

Here are my questions:

NO - THE ONBOARD SERVER IS CRIPPLED

YES - https://downloads.slimdevices.com/Lo...Server_v8.2.0/

LMS WILL AUTOMATICALLY OFFER TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE WHEN IT CONNECTS.

I HAVE 180,000 TRACKS in LMS. YOU CAN ORGANIZE ANY WAY YOU WANT AND NAVIGATE BY EITHER METADATA OR FOLDER

Thanks again.
    Thx1326

NEW QUESTION / CLARIFICATION: So does this mean I have to have a "local computer" up and running at all times in order to use the SqueezeBox Touch? I though it would recognize the files on the connected USB drive or memory card? Otherwise, what is the use of having the Touch? I was only planning on using it on a single standalone audio system. Would it work if I connected the hard drive with audio files to my router (it has several USB ports to allow it to be used as a server). In otherwords, is there a way to use it to choose files to play without having a computer on and running?
    Can someone explain this a bit more?

Thanks again.
    Thx1326[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Thx1326 View Post
    NEW QUESTION / CLARIFICATION: So does this mean I have to have a "local computer" up and running at all times in order to use the SqueezeBox Touch? I though it would recognize the files on the connected USB drive or memory card? Otherwise, what is the use of having the Touch? I was only planning on using it on a single standalone audio system. Would it work if I connected the hard drive with audio files to my router (it has several USB ports to allow it to be used as a server). In otherwords, is there a way to use it to choose files to play without having a computer on and running?
    Can someone explain this a bit more?

Thanks again.
    Thx1326
    To play your own files, you'll need to be running the server program LMS somewhere (a computer, a NAS that can run it, etc.). Many folks these days simply run it on an rPi3B+ or rPi4 (or other rPi units), running the operating system "piCorePlayer". the rPi is the size of a deck of cards. I run LMS on this (connected to my router via ethernet), with an attached small portable 4TB HDD attached to the rPi. I have about 125,000 mostly FLAC files. It runs 24/7 and uses very little power. PiCorePlayer is turn key. Download the file, put it on a SD card, insert into rPi, make a few clicks on some settings, and in about 1/2 hour you'll be up and running. All you have to know how to do is follow simple instructions. See:
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/

p.s. The TOUCH is an excellent streamer with a decent DAC, etc. It's just not good as a music server.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

In theory, the Touch (using the default Logitech firmware) does have an internal copy of LMS (or tinyLMS) so it could perform as a server. However, in practice the Touch has insufficient memory to work reliably as a server. In addition, the power supply for the Touch is insufficient to power a USB hard drive and an externally powered drive is required. I used the tinyLMS for years and it was unstable and would crash at random times. It did not work well. When the external powered hard drive stopped working, I switched to a raspberry Pi using picoreplayer to run LMS. The LMS system now works much better, and I am much happier! I know nothing about linux and I was able to follow the instructions and get it running relatively easily. If you run into problems, the people on this forum will do their best to help you.

Finally, the tinyLMS is a very older version and will not take advantage of the latest version of LMS.

I am not sure if the tinyLMS would recognize a USB drive connected to your network router. It might, but again, the tinyLMS is an outdated version of LMS.

What I, and many others, are saying it will make your life easier to install LMS on a separate computer to run as the server. That way you can enjoy the music and not get frustrated why tinyLMS is not working properly.

good luck.

TinyLMS was never intended to be a server in the way OP is describing. It was simply a way for a friend to play a new album on USB flash key to your Touch. That's it, and that was innovative at the time. In the intervening 15 years, streamers (such as the Sonos Port and Bluesound Node) have come to market that have enough on-board CPU to perform true server functions.

The current community firmware build for the Touch has removed TinyLMS specifically to avoid issues that arise from this misunderstanding.

If you want to play local files -- and many online music services -- on your Touch, you need to be running LMS somewhere on your network. If you can find one, a Raspberry Pi is the ideal platform but any Win/Mac/linux PC will also do. If you don't want your PC running 24/7, the Touch will send a "wake-on-LAN" packet.