Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24

    Rip with a RPi 400?

    My trusty old desktop kicked the bucket and I donít have much use for one nowadays other than for ripping CDs. Would something like this be sufficient for ripping combined with an external disk reader and then out to a USB hard drive? https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-400...s%2C104&sr=8-3
    If the hardware is capable would I be able to use EAC by utilizing an emulation layer (WINE) or is that going to be too much for the lil guy to handle?
    Last edited by traut; 2022-08-06 at 11:33. Reason: Correction

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24

    Or does it just make a lot more sense to go with something like this:

    https://www.microcenter.com/product/...-(refurbished)

    I know very little about Linux and itís been a while since Iíve ripped any CDs so I forgot that I use other Windows based SW to apply Replay Gain and managing/tagging the library

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by traut View Post
    My trusty old desktop kicked the bucket and I donít have much use for one nowadays other than for ripping CDs. Would something like this be sufficient for ripping combined with an external disk reader and then out to a USB hard drive? https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-400...s%2C104&sr=8-3
    If the hardware is capable would I be able to use EAC by utilizing an emulation layer (WINE) or is that going to be too much for the lil guy to handle?
    To the best of my (always limited) knowledge, Wine will not work on a Raspberry Pi, because the Pi is based on an Arm processor, not X86. I see someone is working on an Arm version of Wine, but I haven't found a version of EAC for Arm, so that may not help. There are CD rippers for Linux that should work fine with the setup you describe, but you will have to decide if any of then would be acceptable as a substitute for EAC.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by traut View Post
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/...-(refurbished)

    I know very little about Linux and itís been a while since Iíve ripped any CDs so I forgot that I use other Windows based SW to apply Replay Gain and managing/tagging the library
    Probably the easier way to go, unless you are interested in learning about Linux. Just for what it's worth, Linux also offers software options for tagging and Replay Gain. But learning a new OS and new software all at the same time will probably be frustrating at times, even though it's very satisfying in the long run.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Apesbrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,975
    Quote Originally Posted by traut View Post
    Or does it just make a lot more sense to go with something like this
    I've purchased refurbished HP desktops off eBay several times. If your monitor is still good, you can get something usable for around $100:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/25490940309...UAAOSwOKlgVUv4

    Plenty adequate for ripping CDs.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    To the best of my (always limited) knowledge, Wine will not work on a Raspberry Pi, because the Pi is based on an Arm processor, not X86. I see someone is working on an Arm version of Wine, but I haven't found a version of EAC for Arm, so that may not help. There are CD rippers for Linux that should work fine with the setup you describe, but you will have to decide if any of then would be acceptable as a substitute for EAC.
    I'm also of limited linux ability but I think that Wine is possible on a raspberry pi OS, there are a few to choose from. One has to install a x86 emulator

    https://linuxhint.com/run-windows-ap...berry-pi-wine/

    I have never tried it me sen though

    ronnie

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I'm also of limited linux ability but I think that Wine is possible on a raspberry pi OS, there are a few to choose from. One has to install a x86 emulator

    https://linuxhint.com/run-windows-ap...berry-pi-wine/

    I have never tried it me sen though

    ronnie
    That's quite a find! I'll be very interested if anyone gets this to work well enough to be usable.
    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •