Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabizabo View Post
    It's just easier/quick to modify in parallel files on Master and files on the USB drive than modifying the Master and do the sync
    As your library grows you will get caught out if you take this approach. You need to adopt a master / slave system and let the master update the slave on a scheduled basis. If you change a few files on the master it shouldnĺt take very long to sync the changes unless there is some networking issue. Are the 2 devices - PC and Pi - wired or wireless?
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

I read through the thread. Not sure I have alot to add, just echo.

I too organize and update master/slave like the others, and use freefilesync in mirror mode. In fact, I have two locations and have a SSHD I carry back and forth to sync the locations. In one location the PC is wireless and the Pi is ethernet. FFS is quite fast, even if I have allot of additions to my library that I take from one location to another.

Having said all of that, I tried my setup - Pi with HDD mounted, access via samba with win PC (Master) and it did indeed allow me to open and save files directly on my slave. The only situation that I have come across is the files created by the pcp "SD Card Backup". I cannot delete or modify those files, even thought they are assessable by samba. I'd like to, and discussed it in another thread. But for now they just sit there

Curious, if you open an explorer window on the PC, does it allow you to drag and drop (over write) from master to slave.

Jim