Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem of write permissions on my mounted USB Disk

Hi there,

I deleted the message posted in the thread dedicated to piCorePlayer 8.0.0 to post here.

I have a slight problem with my mounted SSD Disk. I'm on Windows 10 and I have access to it via Samba. Even if I set write permissions in the pCP web interface, it's impossible to modify the files. For example I can't modify the tags on the files with MP3Tag because all files and folders are "read only".

Is there another way to allow writing of the files?

For information, my SSD is formatted in NTFS and I'm using pCP 8.2.0 64 bit

Thanks in advance for your ideas

Best

Christophe

Attached is my samba configuration that I use with windows 10. I assume you can access the file when the drive is connected directly to your windows machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pi 4 - JustBoom Digi - Topping E30
    Pi 4 - HiFiBerry Dac2 Pro
    Pi 4 - Topping D10s

Hi agburnsky,

Thanks for your answer .

Yes I can access to my SSD when connected to my Windows machine. I have just remove "read only" and I can modify the files without problem.

But I can't remove the "read only" when accessing with Samba (which is well configured).

I was wondering if a linux command by SSH could help but my knowledge in linux language is quite weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabizabo View Post
    Hi agburnsky,

Thanks for your answer .

Yes I can access to my SSD when connected to my Windows machine. I have just remove "read only" and I can modify the files without problem.

But I can't remove the "read only" when accessing with Samba (which is well configured).

I was wondering if a linux command by SSH could help but my knowledge in linux language is quite weak.
    Most of us on these forums sort/edit their music files on their PC/Mac, and then copy the files over to the USB drive connected to the RPi. This way you have a master and at least one copy of your music files.

I have 7 complete copies of my music library dotted here and there. Too valuable to lose.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
    Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
    Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 3xRPi, 1xCORE32, AVI DM5 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Most of us on these forums sort/edit their music files on their PC/Mac, and then copy the files over to the USB drive connected to the RPi. This way you have a master and at least one copy of your music files.

I have 7 complete copies of my music library dotted here and there. Too valuable to lose.
    Yes it's what I'm doing also. I have a the master on my Windows machine. And I have also 2 complete copies (a small player compared to you ).

I modify the master when needed and as I have this problem of "read only", I'm obliged to synchronise with FreeFileSync and it takes a lot of time when a lot of files have been modified or added.

Yes it's what I'm doing also. I have a the master on my Windows machine. And I have also 2 complete copies (a small player compared to you ).

I modify the master when needed and as I have this problem of "read only", I'm obliged to synchronise with FreeFileSync and it takes a lot of time when a lot of files have been modified or added.
    Then what's the point of modifying the files on the USB drive? As soon as you sync with the master, the modifications will be overwritten and lost??
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 RPi4B 4GB/NanoSound ONE case/pCP 8.1.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on Sata SSD (ntfs)

Lounge - DAC32 - AudioEngine B2
    Office - RPi 3B+/HiFiBerry DAC HAT/RPi screen - Edifier D12
    Bedroom - Echo Show 8

Spares - 1xSB Touch, 1xSB3, 3xRPi, 1xCORE32, AVI DM5 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Then what's the point of modifying the files on the USB drive? As soon as you sync with the master, the modifications will be overwritten and lost??
    It's just easier/quick to modify in parallel files on Master and files on the USB drive than modifying the Master and do the sync

Is your USB drive on a USB3 port on the Pi. It is even slower on USB2

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Is your USB drive on a USB3 port on the Pi. It is even slower on USB2

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Yes it's on a USB3 port

When your usb drive is connected to windows 10, in the permissions section, is there an "everyone" group with full control? Oddly, windows will tell say full control but you may not see check marks for the individual permissions and that is okay. I believe you need the "everyone" group. A few years ago prior to windows 10, I had to open up the file mode to 0777 in the picoreplayer gui to get it to work initially. I think later I reverted to something more restrictive thru trial and error.

Good luck.

Anthony
    Pi 4 - JustBoom Digi - Topping E30
    Pi 4 - HiFiBerry Dac2 Pro
    Pi 4 - Topping D10s